Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Shelby questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/07, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelby questions

Long post warning...

Ok I've posted about this in multiple threads and I am having alot of problems deciding what to do on this. First of all I want everyone to know that I am not making a clone and that is not my intention in any form. However I do want a shelby and seeing how I already own a GT I cannot afford to trade in and purchase a new car already.I have been planning for some time (seeing how it's cheaper and I can build what I really want) to create my own shelby in a sense.

In the last two years Shelby has created a car called the CS6/CS8. Many of you will know about it many of you will not. It is basically a kit to create your own shelby out of a v6 mustang or a GT. There are many people who have done this kit and have created pretty awesome cars imo.

Unfortunately this car is not in the shelby registry because it is not built by them. But all parts used in building it are shelby parts. Whether this makes this a kit car or a true shelby or a clone to be honest is not my concern. In my opinion it is a true shelby and in a form it is a kit.

Basically I have decided to build a cs8 except with a few changes. I am using different wheels that are shelby authentic just a slightly different style and instead of the cs6/cs8 front fascia i am using the gt500 fascia. Other then this it will be EXACTLY the same.

When talking to Shelby autos their opinion is basically if you use all authentic shelby parts it is still a shelby cs8 but there isn't anything officially saying that it is a CS8 (b/c not build in factory) other then parts certifications.

My problem is this. I do not want to create a clone and I do not want to create my own personal shelby imitation. I do however intend to build it this way using all shelby parts and very nearly an exact cs8. And I would like very much to be able to badge it as a shelby do to the fact that all parts and inspiration will be derived from them and I truly want to own a shelby.

My other problem other then the front is what side striping to do. I've posted a picture of the original cs8 striping (far to extravigant for me) and I also posted what several other people did with basic rocker stripes.

Now I realize I can do whatever I want and it is my vehicle but I want to know the general consensus on this before I badge this vehicle.

So please answer my poll and then post a reply as to why.

Thanks... and sorry for the long post

/rantoff

chris

ps- keep in mind the shelby lettering is on the front of the cs8 (hence why I was doing it)
Attached Thumbnails Shelby questions-shelbycs6prototype.jpg   Shelby questions-shelbyemblem.jpg   Shelby questions-horse.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 5/6/07, 05:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I built my GT the way I wanted it, hood, CS rear bumper, ducktail, body accents, wheels, and stripes. I am not posing as a replica or clone, just personalization. I say build what you want, not what we want. Besides I already built mine, what are you waiting for? I built a Lightning clone in 2000 only because I wanted all Ford parts for a custom yet not bolt on appearance. I have a regular cab 5.4L Lariat and love it. I say go for it!
Old 5/6/07, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

It is my car and I can do what I want but to be honest I don't want it to be viewed by the general public as a clone/replica/"tribute". I want it to be a true shelby when I am complete. If it's considered a shelby kit that's fine but I don't want to badge it as a shelby if it's not thought of as a shelby.

You guys in my opinion are some of the best mustang fanatics i've met so I trust your general thoughts on the whole topic and therefore you are my best means of gauging what true mustang fanatics will believe.

This has become especially iffy due to the fact in other threads individuals have suggested that I should not do this because of it being poor taste/a rip off/cloning. Or one person went so far as saying that i was abusing the shelby name and creating nothing more then a lie (bull****... a true ******* imo).
Old 5/6/07, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

only a Shelby should wear the emblems, sorry
Old 5/6/07, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
only a Shelby should wear the emblems, sorry
So can I ask why you don't think this would be a shelby? Just wondering if it's because it would not have a plaque or be in the registry even though shelby autos says it is authentic and it will be identicle motor wise to a cs8 and nearly identical exterior wise.
Old 5/6/07, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Buck, it will never be a "true" Shelby because it will never be in the "official" Shelby registry. With that said, nothing wrong with you adding a GT500 front, CS6 Hood and whatever other Shelby stuff you want for "you".

Do you ever plan on selling the car? If not then make it what you want and enjoy it. It will be a true Shelby in your mind and if you plan on keeping the car forever, then it doesn't matter
Old 5/6/07, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Buck, it will never be a "true" Shelby because it will never be in the "official" Shelby registry. With that said, nothing wrong with you adding a GT500 front, CS6 Hood and whatever other Shelby stuff you want for "you".
Ok not to beat a dead horse but I want to make sure of this in your opinion all forms of the cs6/cs8 (http://shelbyautos.com/vehicles.asp) are not true shelby's because they are not in the registry (none of these will ever be in the registry because they are not built in the factory)
Old 5/6/07, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

No.

And since you asked our opinion: I dont like your girlfriend - dump her. And the clothes you wear? *ugh* get a clue. And the people you hang out with? Losers.

(is the sarcams too heavy handed? I never was good at "subtle")

You can make 100 polls about it but it comes down to this:If you arent happy with it - whichever choice you make - you're the one who has to live with it. Make the decision based on what YOU think.

But like a tattoo, unless yer sure: don't. When you know what you want regardless of what others think: do.
Old 5/6/07, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by buck
Ok not to beat a dead horse but I want to make sure of this in your opinion all forms of the cs6/cs8 (http://shelbyautos.com/vehicles.asp) are not true shelby's because they are not in the registry (none of these will ever be in the registry because they are not built in the factory)

As far as any of us Buck that have been wokring on these things we have been told no, even the one that are built by SAI. Up to now the CS6/CS8 deal is supposed to be a Shelby kit with no "official" connection to Shelby Registry however the cars themselves are still considered Shelby's. Look at it this way, I believe Amy B. has been quoted as saying in one of the threads over there, the CS6 is one of the 1st Shelby's that anyone can build themselves meaning this is the first kit built for everyone. It's still a Shelby, just not one built and official from SAI. I bet if yours was done and CS himself saw it he would sigh your dash and give you a thumbs up.
Old 5/6/07, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mymojo
No.

And since you asked our opinion: I dont like your girlfriend - dump her. And the clothes you wear? *ugh* get a clue. And the people you hang out with? Losers.

(is the sarcams too heavy handed? I never was good at "subtle")

You can make 100 polls about it but it comes down to this:If you arent happy with it - whichever choice you make - you're the one who has to live with it. Make the decision based on what YOU think.

But like a tattoo, unless yer sure: don't. When you know what you want regardless of what others think: do.
Really? My girlfriend? **** I don't know if she will be to happy but seeing how YOU think so consider it done! LOL

Look I totally realize that this is all opinion and I get that they are not official shelby's that they are basically shelby kit cars. That's not my question.

My question is if you looked at my vehicle in each of those situations what you would think. If you would think Shelby GT/GT500 clone don't vote for it.... If you would think some form of tribute don't vote for it.... If you think I am deviating to far from the cs8 (I like what i'm doing and am so not changing it) and therefore it is not a CS8 don't vote for it.... And most importantly if you would think it looked like an insult to vehicles everywhere ... don't vote for it....

This is an opinion poll and I'm asking your opinions lol. I basically want to know which looks right for what i want it to be without looking like any of the above.

I want it to be a Shelby CS8 kit car....

So puting that into perspective along with the previous situations place your votes!
Old 5/6/07, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
As far as any of us Buck that have been wokring on these things we have been told no, even the one that are built by SAI. Up to now the CS6/CS8 deal is supposed to be a Shelby kit with no "official" connection to Shelby Registry however the cars themselves are still considered Shelby's. Look at it this way, I believe Amy B. has been quoted as saying in one of the threads over there, the CS6 is one of the 1st Shelby's that anyone can build themselves meaning this is the first kit built for everyone. It's still a Shelby, just not one built and official from SAI. I bet if yours was done and CS himself saw it he would sigh your dash and give you a thumbs up.
hey gps post pics will you I heard that front fascia didn't fit with the sse grill so I want to see what it looks like! I was originally wanting to do a combo kind of similar to that. Unfortunately, I had to decide quickly because the car is in the body shop at the moment so I went with my first instincts. Anyway long story short post pics will you!!!
Old 5/6/07, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=64843

There ya go. The grill is an SSE however it is the V6 version (you can see the fogs are spaced a little more then the GT one). The CS6 Fascia can fit both but you would need to cut out the tabs for the GT to fit. The tabs are there, just filled in so by default it will only fit any V6 grill from SAI.
Old 5/6/07, 10:38 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buck,

Here's my take. First, I can appreciate your desire to build something that won't bring down the wrath of the "mustang community". Some will say, "build it the way you want it", and that philosphy works for many. But I sense that you want something that is generally acceptable by most enthusiasts i.e. you don't want to take your stang to a go to a car show and catch crap everytime you go.

I say, if you can buy it on the shelby autos site http://www.shelbyautos.com/parts/MustangParts3.asp, then go ahead and put it on your car if you want. There are certain parts they don't sale to the public (e.g. Powered by Ford badges, SGT hood scoops). But if Shelby autos wants to sell you these parts in the link above, then obviously they don't have a problem with it.

But no matter how hard you try, there is always going to be someone on here (or out in the real world) that will give you a hard time about something on your car; calling you a "poser" are "ricer" etc.

I started a poll on this issue of badging and rocker stripes and GT 500 front fascias. Based on the results, I think you will be safe with most folks on here as long as you don't put cobras on it and/or call it a "GT 500".

I think very few folks will get their panties twisted over a "CS 8" rocker stripe.
Old 5/7/07, 05:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone for the opinions so far I am keeping with my original plan to go with the shelby on the back and not do the cs8 rocker stripes. As for the front I still don't know whether to go with the horse or the lettering... I guess time will tell. Keep the opinions going I want a decent number of votes just to verify what I am already thinking. As mojo said earlier you don't want to do the tattoo until your sure! Thanks all!!

chris
Old 5/7/07, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

looks awesome man but you need some stripes on that bad boy otherwise it's imposible to see the true curves of that hood imo
Old 5/7/07, 09:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by buck
looks awesome man but you need some stripes on that bad boy otherwise it's imposible to see the true curves of that hood imo
They are coming, just not this week or next...or even the next LOL.

I am going to have them painted and either going to do a metalic silver or maybe a ghost blue. Not sure yet
Old 5/7/07, 11:23 AM
gtr

Shelby cs8 is a shelby so I would label it as such especially if your spending the large amount of cash to make it that way. I would do the lettering on the front also to maintain the look as much as possible. I wouldn't do the rocker stripes because that is not in any way like the original.
Old 5/7/07, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gtr
Shelby cs8 is a shelby so I would label it as such especially if your spending the large amount of cash to make it that way. I would do the lettering on the front also to maintain the look as much as possible. I wouldn't do the rocker stripes because that is not in any way like the original.
well its starting to look like your alone most votes are saying leave the badging as a GT and put no shelby emblems on it.... Any input people?
Old 5/8/07, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

well it looks like it's 7 to 7 for labeling it as a shelby or not..... Anyone else got any opinions?
Old 5/8/07, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

how about NO Labels at all?

Quick Reply: Shelby questions