05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Rice or nice? Also, resonators are on!

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/08, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rice or nice? Also, resonators are on!

I FINALLY got my car back from paint today (of course it was raining!!), and I'd like to solicit some opinions. Added to my mod list as of now, we have ARH long-tubes, offroad H pipe, SLP resonators, Mezeire electric water pump, my "custom" cooling timer, Steeda valve covers, Steeda front competition fascia, competition cowl hood, Ford GT/CS rear bumper cover, Rotorpros drilled/slotted rotors (street/show only), Zeta Products clear-lens marker lights and turn signal housings, Shelby/Drake hood pins, ProSport gauges, SOS dash pod (Mod 1), and an oil cooler rig with Mocal cooler, Trans-Dapt thermostat and remote oil filter mount, and a THP oil/coolant plate. Whew...

First question for the assembled fashonistas... The clear turn signal housings: rice or nice? I think I like them, but my sense of fashion is usually about 10 years behind the curve...

My thinking on them is that with the silver body, and all the rest of the lights being "white," they fit right in. I just don't want to look like a 17 year old in a Nissan with a bunch of JDM crap hanging off of it.

The rear markers have the same thinking. Not yet installed (temps too low) are a set of Zeta black tail-light bezels that should "lift and separate" the tri-bar lamp housing.

I DO like the lines on the hood, and it's a lot more subtle in monochrome than it is with the steeda "Boss" style blackout. Only issue is visability...

I apologise in advance for the dirt, but the car's in fresh paint, and it went directly from the body shop to the exhaust shop for the resonator install. Some of you may recall that I had serious issues with trumpeting with nothing but the LT's, OR-H, and Flowmasters. With the addition of the SLP resonators, the idle is a touch deeper, and with the snap of the throttle, there is a decided "bark" to the exhaust, but without all the metallic, harsh, spitty sound that I detest so much. Under load, it's now a roar, rather than a rasp. I highly recommend them to anybody with trumpeting issues! The 304SS ones that I got are not cheap, but the work, and that's a fact.

The Scott Drake/Shelby hood pins are an interesting product. I'm not sure I'm in love with the fittings on top of the hood, but the part quality is excellent. The pin and post are both stainless steel, and the hood plate is clear-anodized aluminum, with a delrin insert that acts as the actual bearing point. The mount brackets they include locate the pins in probably the perfect spot, despite having to cut up the radiator cover plate (mine is a UPR polished stainless piece). The lanyard is coated steel wire, so no rusting or rubbing through the paint. My body guy wound up running the lanyard through a hole drilled in the upper corners of the grille, and at least to my eye, it looks pretty clean.

Any comments or questions are welcome...

Oh, note to self: Do NOT spend three days finish detailing the engine bay before sending it for paint, to sit in a dusty body shop for two weeks...
Old 3/18/08, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Love the clear signals..... I want those myself.

Glad someone else is finally taking my advice about resonators..... they make a big difference, in a good way!

Last edited by tom281; 3/18/08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 3/18/08, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Dave,
First off I am too **** old to be rice...but I like the clear turnsignals. Second I have been considering the SLP resonators for my longtubes and GTA setup also but a sound vid might help me decide!!!!!!!! come on...buck up my friend!!!
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/18/08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 3/18/08, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Lookin good Dave!

Coming out to the CMC season opener in April? Lookin forward to checking it out.
Old 3/18/08, 06:54 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is basically about exterior mods, I have moved it from the performance section.
Old 3/18/08, 07:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Clean your exhaust tips!

I dun think it's rice.
Old 3/18/08, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Tom: Amen on the resonators!! These mod motors just don't do exhaust note like the old pushrod motors did... Long-tubes, straight pipes and Flowmaster 40's were a recepie for pure bliss. Not so much with the mod motors though...

70Mach1: Thanks! My wife bought a video camera a couple weeks ago... I'll have to see if I can appropriate it for a while, and figure out how it works...

Stoenr: Yessir, I'll be there. I'm running DE at Gateway, and I'll look for you there! Lunch?

Adrenalin: My appologies for mis-classifying the post, thank you for moving it to it's proper home, but geez... Did you have to spank me twice? ;-)
Old 3/18/08, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Clear signals look good. Glad the LT's have found a good home and I look forward to the sound clips. Your hood pins, however beg to be twisted like nipples!
Old 3/18/08, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Dave,

The lanyards look perfect to me. I have seen some pretty sloppy ones in the past (way too long) and it just looks bad. I'd love to see those hood pins in person, they look unique. The view from the cowl hood appears obscured more than I would have imagined from the photo but maybe it is deceiving from the angle of the photograph. Wheels look nice, a little blocky which makes it look aggressive. Only thing I don't personally like is the dash gage pod but then my opinion doesn't count, yours does!
Old 3/18/08, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

Cut down that antenna!
Old 3/18/08, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh yeah, I love the hood!
Old 3/18/08, 08:20 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Great looking ride!
Old 3/18/08, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

DarkFire: Yeah, the whole car is dirty... sitting in a body shop for two weeks, with no hood or bumper covers lets a LOT of dust settle everywhere, especially when your car is getting sanded. The car went from the body shop to the exhaust shop (I can't paint, and I can't weld), then to the barn, where I snapped a few pix. One thing to note, the color of the tips won't change. They went to Autobahn last year nice and bright chrome, and came out the color of 20 year old headers, a nice burnt gold.

Cali: Thanks for everything! The headers were exactly as you described them, and were in great shape. I'll try to take some footage (would that be "bit-age" for digitals?) as soon as I can. I'm still not 100% sold on the hood pins, but they do look good in person. workmanship is impeccable, and the fit is superb. The Delrin bushing is angled perfectly to allow the plate to sit flat on the curvature of the hood, and let the pins slide in and out properly. If I do dump them, it'll be for '69 Mach 1 style twist-locks.

Shatter: Props to my body guys, they figured out the routing, and I just picked the length of exposed wire... I sit pretty low in my car, where the center gauge pod is essentially swallowed by the back of the cowl. I did have a bit of a tough time seeing towards my right-front fender, but that's something I think I'll get used to pretty quickly. I hear what you're saying about the gauge pod. I'm one of "those guys" that just can't stand pillar pods... To each his own: that's what makes this hobby so wonderful, there's no set "one way" to do something.

OfficeSpace: You hit that one right on the head. That's such a simple mod, though, that I completely forgot to order anything while I was worrying about -10 fittings, hood pins, figuring out how to pay for the paint, etc. That thud you heard was the sound of a ball being dropped.
Old 3/18/08, 09:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Turn signals look good.
Old 3/18/08, 09:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hmm, I coulda swore I replied from work, oh well.

Looks great Dave!

Going to the CMC opener meet n greet? Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 3/18/08, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr

Going to the CMC opener meet n greet? Looking forward to checking it out.
When and where?
Old 3/18/08, 09:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good man
Old 3/18/08, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
When and where?

http://www.chicagolandmustang.com/fo...ad.php?t=23577

Sutton HP is a sponsor too!

When: April 19, 2008

Where: Busse Woods in Schaumburg, IL
(Right off 290)

Time: 11:00am

Grove Location: #24 and #25
Old 3/18/08, 10:41 PM
GT Member

dave,car looks great....could you tell me some about the wheels?size,offset,tire size?i m considering them for my cs,but i want to see if they will clear gt500 brembos.
Old 3/19/08, 04:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im getting clear turn signals myself. i think they look great

Quick Reply: Rice or nice? Also, resonators are on!