05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Reducing scratches/scrapes on chin spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/12, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reducing scratches/scrapes on chin spoiler

I've only had my chin spoiler on for a month, but the roads around here are so horrible ive already noticed a couple little scrapey scratchy spots. They are really not bad, it's just annoying. It's a CDC classic unpainted- if I rubbed it with a little really fine grit sandpaper would that make it worse? It's not that noticeable- just bugs me,because ive been so careful parking and all.Dang car is not even lowered yet!
Old 1/23/12, 12:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's the price you pay!
Old 1/23/12, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

You say it's unpainted...so I'll assume it's black?

I know of a couple of guys, who have coated their front spoilers/splitters with roll on truck bed product...leaves it a flat black and is tough as nails against chips, nicks, etc. If you get a chip, it's easily touched up. You'd think it would look terrible, but it really doesn't.

I'm not necessarily recommending this....just throwing it out there as a suggestion or option to think about, if chips/nicks are really bugging you.
Old 1/23/12, 10:26 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre

I know of a couple of guys, who have coated their front spoilers/splitters with roll on truck bed product...leaves it a flat black and is tough as nails against chips, nicks, etc. If you get a chip, it's easily touched up. You'd think it would look terrible, but it really doesn't.

I'm not necessarily recommending this....just throwing it out there as a suggestion or option to think about, if chips/nicks are really bugging you.
Interesting idea...Have any pics of that?

I was gonna say you could try the 3M clear bra stuff. Maybe that'll help a little.
Old 1/23/12, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I knew what I was signing up for when I put it on. I already paid to have the entire underside of my bumper cleaned up and repainted. They guys that did it made a superb job of it, so I was kind of looking at the spoiler as a way to protect my investment. I'm just bummed because I didn't think it'd get tore up so quick
Old 1/23/12, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a splitter on the Saleen that took a pretty serious hit, so I tried something that I wasn't sure would work (hence the lack of progress photos), but it is similar to what's been mentioned here. I used some ABS glue (for plumbing) from the hardware store to glue the chunk back in. This is the shot from underneath after the fix to give you an idea of the size of the chunk.

After the glue sets up it can be sanded and reapplied just like body filler. You can't use it to fill monster gaps, but cracks work fine. I then sprayed it with Rustoleum bedliner because it has a smoother finish than the heavy duty types. Finished repair, which could have been done better had I filled in more along the bottom edge.

Old 1/23/12, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre

Now THAT is an interesting idea!

I don't have the spoiler, but I did paint the GT lip HR010 Hot Rod Black... Even when scraped it doesn't show up much (but I know it's there... ), but this sounds like what I might do when the front bumper gets repainted along with the hood and fenders.

/It's just a matter of time, but that's ok, I figured as much when I got her.
//Just wish that GT lip were a little more defined on it's 'break'.