05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Rear Bumper Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/06, 02:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been on TMS as much lately but some moron backed into my car at school (without leaving any info) so I needed to find the answers to some questions. The bumper got nailed by some sort of suv since it crumpled right on the corner, making it nearly impossible to reshape. So last night I was trying to take it off and check for body damage (luckily there was none). Besides four pins that seemed anchored sideways into the trunklid I was able to free the rest of the body. Does anyone know how to remove these pins? I'm planning on replacing the whole thing with a Saleen take off. I would really like to install the bumper myself since it seems straight forward and would save me about $150 of BS installation costs.
Old 3/11/06, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onetorquedhorse @ March 11, 2006, 4:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I haven't been on TMS as much lately but some moron backed into my car at school (without leaving any info) so I needed to find the answers to some questions. The bumper got nailed by some sort of suv since it crumpled right on the corner, making it nearly impossible to reshape. So last night I was trying to take it off and check for body damage (luckily there was none). Besides four pins that seemed anchored sideways into the trunklid I was able to free the rest of the body. Does anyone know how to remove these pins? I'm planning on replacing the whole thing with a Saleen take off. I would really like to install the bumper myself since it seems straight forward and would save me about $150 of BS installation costs.
[/b][/quote]

You have three nuts to undo underneth the bumper, Then there is some located in the trunk area, behind the carpet. Also remove the tail lights and they're are two screws on each side of the wheel well opening. As far as the pins they could be the push pin type . to release them, just pull the inside of the pin out and the pins will come out. Good luck!
Old 3/12/06, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just one more question...Is there a way to replace the two pop rivets next to the tailights using nuts and bolts or screws? I'm assuming you have to pop out the tailights to get to the rivet point? Thanks again for the help.