05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Question about lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/06 | 12:27 PM
GT Member

Question Question about lowering springs

I got BMR lowering springs installed a little over a week ago. Rides a little harsh but otherwise looks terrific. Anyways, the shop that did the work didn't have 05/06 software to check the alignment, so I brought it to another shop today to get that taken care of. Turns out it wasn't all that far off, but I thought it best to be safe and not waste my tires.

So - on my way there, all of a sudden I'm getting a clunking noise when turning the wheels at low speed, so I asked them to check it out. The alignment dude told me when they installed the springs they should have installed a rubber piece on the top and the bottom to compensate for the shorter travel distance, so in essence my spring is turning and creaking when I turn the wheel.

Does this sound right? Before I take it back to the first shop I wanted to get a clue from the ten thousand people smarter about Mustangs than I am. Anyone?

Thanks!
Old 5/23/06 | 12:32 PM
I Have No Life

something simliar has been posted before. The issue was the springs were not installed properly.
Old 5/24/06 | 09:51 PM
GT Member

Thanks - I've searched, I'm not finding that thread. Anyone remember what the issue/fix is?
Old 5/25/06 | 04:34 AM
V6 Member

There are a couple posts on this. What it boils down to is this:Ford had a TSB on a clunking/poping noise from the front. There fix was to replace the top bearing plate and install a insulator on the struts. Make sure you have the bottom spring insulator on the struts. When I dropped mine I replaced both the top bearing plate and insulators. Never had a problem.
Old 5/25/06 | 04:43 AM
GT Member

I orginally posted this when I dropped my Mustang. What you have is bad strut mount bearings. Some Mustangs came off the assembly line with inferior strut mount bearing and were replaced by a new part number. 05stangkc helped me get the new part number, which is now the standard part number. See your Ford dealer and have him look up the part and order you two new ones (one for each side). My service dept put mine on for free and realigned my front end saying it was warranty work. There might even be a service bulletin out on it.
Old 5/25/06 | 07:27 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys...but my car wasn't built until Nov 05, well after it was supposedly corrected on the assembly line. The TSB does READ/sound like the problem I am experiencing. It makes an intermittent clunk clunk clunk sound when I turn the front wheels at low speed...like something is binding up. If it is that the springs are somehow installed incorrectly, are there instructions anywhere? I didn't find them on BMR's website and nothing was included when they shipped the springs.
Old 5/26/06 | 04:56 AM
V6 Member

The build date (4/17/05)on my pony was after the TSB as well. I never had the popping noise. What I did is use a set of 06 GT front struts with the TSB service parts and lowering springs.Did this for two reasons. Wanted to keep the stock strut set intact and wanted to make sure I did have all the updates. Installation is pretty much fool proof. The springs can only line up one way. It really does sound like you need the new bearing plate as well as the bottom insulators. Pull one of the front tires off and look at the bottom of the spring. Look for a piece of hose that covers the spring about 4" from the end of the spring. Also make sure the end of the spring is up against the spring stop tab on the bottom of the strut. Other than that pull them off and make sure all is correct.
Old 5/26/06 | 06:45 AM
GT Member

Perfect, thanks for the answers. I'll hit the shop after the long weekend and see what happens.