05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Question about the grilles.

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/07, 11:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Question about the grilles.

Hey there!

(Mods, if this is in the wrong place... I apologize. Do what you need to.)

So... I know that this was unpopular with some (there was/is? a thread about my desired for my GT upon one time...) but I still wanna do it.

I'm going (yes *GOING*) to get an '08 GT Coupe Deluxe in Dark Candy Apple Red with the cloth Parchment interior, 5 speed, 17" 10 spoke cast aluminum wheels and other amenities (can't decide on the Shaker 500, 1000, or go with the cheapo and get aftermarket... I'll figure that out when I order it.)

And while I would rather not have the fender badges, with the locator holes in the fenders, I can only replace them with something else. I hate they put a hole in the side *just* for that... Ugh.

I will replace those with something less conspicuous, though, and the gas cap on the back with the v6 one too.

I'm thinking about the honeycomb rear panel look. Spoiler delete, btw, if that matters...

And I would *love* a blacked out grille. No fogs, no emblem, just a honeycomb. Not the billet black one either. It's nice, I guess... but I would rather have just honeycomb.

I have done some looking and either I've not found the right rock... or they don't exist for any 2005+.

That's the question... Anyone know of *just* the black honeycomb grille look?

I also have this weird idea in my head of combining about 3 v6s to get one good, all honeycomb grille... but that seems quite silly. I *can* do it... Dremels are wonderful items, a little bit of backing material to splice it, a little putty material to smooth out the joints... some black paint.. Tada, all black honeycomb. I bet there are enough totaled v6s 'round here now to get those grilles from a rear ender.

I thought about no grille, but... seems kinda wrong... We're not talking about the 2004 Machs with their itty bitty grille opening...

Or am I just being silly?

BTW, I am aware of the Shelby GT's grille... no thank you.

Thanks for any and all advice, good or bad... just don't be too mean, k? I'm sensitive...
Old 6/17/07, 11:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is currently no honeycomb all black grill available. Speculation is that there might be one with the '08 Bullitt, as Ford showcased a concept grille exactly like you are describing at the SEMA show. Other than a Billet grille, just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 6/18/07, 12:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's by far the most requested grille that no one makes
Old 6/18/07, 12:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Awesome. I'm so totally going to make a production run and sell them, then. I can't figure out why nobody else does... Unless Ford is leanin' on anyone who tries...

/now... to figure out how to actually do that whole 'make a production run' part happen... and get them out there... or get Ford to send me a fat check to NOT do it... I'd take that. And make my one off anyway..
Old 6/18/07, 01:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm giving that Moss billet grille a shot Mounts out almost flush.
Old 6/18/07, 11:25 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Good Luck.
This first thread is my attempt at making that grille.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=46929

This one shows there is plenty of demand for one.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=53437

These are about Ford's grille they were supposed to come out with this summer.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55374
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55678
Attached Thumbnails Question about the grilles.-100_1633.jpg  
Old 6/18/07, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not diggin that all open grille from Ford, if you don't have a very dark factory color its going to look odd.