05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Question about 20's

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 06:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am thinking about getting 20's but I have some question's. Do you have to upgrade the brakes when you get 20's, do the decrease ride quality, and do they slow down the car at all. Thanks
Old 2/6/06, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have any hard numbers but I would assume that they would slow the car down. The extra weight means that the engine would spend a few more HP slinging the wheels round and round rather than transferring it to the ground.

I would think the stock brakes would work fine, but I have seen several cars with big rims and stock brakes, and the stock rotor looks so small inside that big rim that it comes off as... odd looking.

Drivability, well... I would THINK that with less sidewall you would get less cushioning, and therefore a harsher ride, but having never driven a car with big rims I would not know for sure.

LOL, after re-reading this it all sounds like opinions rather than facts. Sorry about that, but it makes sense, at least to me. Were you going with the 20" bullitt rims from MustangTuning.com or some other set?
Old 2/6/06, 07:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

LOL, after re-reading this it all sounds like opinions rather than facts. Sorry about that, but it makes sense, at least to me. Were you going with the 20" bullitt rims from MustangTuning.com or some other set?
[/quote]

Thanks a lot , I appreciate all that I can get, and yes I was thinking about getting the 20's from mustang tuning. I saw a picture of that grey mustang with the 20in Anthracite deep dish bullitt's on mustangtuning and thought that they would look pretty nice with the sonic blue!
Old 2/6/06, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, if I may then, seeing as how we share the same taste in car colors... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I am going to go with the 18" rims from Mustang Tuning. I am getting the 18x9 front / 18x10 rear, but I am going through Discount Tire to do them. The wheels are made by Verde Topline. I just spoke with the manager at the local Discount Tire here, and Verde Topline has just finished retooling, so the 18x9's no longer need the spacers for the front wheels! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/woot.gif[/img]

They will be in mid to late February, so I'll have them on by the end of the month. Point is, you could probably do the same thing, if Verde Topline is the manufacturer of the 20's. Mustang Tuning is crawling at the moment, can't check for sure. That way you get the store warranty, price of mounting and balancing is reduced wince you're buying the rims at the store, etc, etc. Check your local store and see what they say, at least. Might be worth your while.

EDIT: MustangTuning finally came up, and the 20's are made by Verde Topline, which Discount Tire and Les Schwab both deal in.
Old 2/6/06, 07:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigWorm2005GT @ February 6, 2006, 6:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, if I may then, seeing as how we share the same taste in car colors... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

I am going to go with the 18" rims from Mustang Tuning. I am getting the 18x9 front / 18x10 rear, but I am going through Discount Tire to do them. The wheels are made by Verde Topline. I just spoke with the manager at the local Discount Tire here, and Verde Topline has just finished retooling, so the 18x9's no longer need the spacers for the front wheels! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/woot.gif[/img]

They will be in mid to late February, so I'll have them on by the end of the month. Point is, you could probably do the same thing, if Verde Topline is the manufacturer of the 20's. Mustang Tuning is crawling at the moment, can't check for sure. That way you get the store warranty, price of mounting and balancing is reduced wince you're buying the rims at the store, etc, etc. Check your local store and see what they say, at least. Might be worth your while.

EDIT: MustangTuning finally came up, and the 20's are made by Verde Topline, which Discount Tire and Les Schwab both deal in.
[/b][/quote]

Cool, there is a discount tire store about 5 minutes from my house. I think I might have to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks alot. So what you are saying is that I can order the same bullitt's from mustang tuning from discount tire and get the warranty [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] that's awesome. What color bullitt's are you getting.I was also thinking about black 18in bullitt's, they look nice with sonic blue!
Old 2/6/06, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I was getting the chromed ones, actually. I don't think the black rims would look good with my white stripes, but the chrome would set it off perfectly!

And yes, dealing with the tire store would make it a lot easier than going through an online vendor for the rims, and then still having to get them mounted, balanced, etc.

Plus the price that Discount Tire is charging for the rims is cheaper than MustangTuning's price.
Old 2/6/06, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I got 20" foose nitrous wheels with toyo tires and the ride quality i think is great. you will feel it going over bumps and stuff but other than that it feels like stock. i did not upgrade my brakes and it runs fine.
Old 2/6/06, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Get the 20's!!! NO you do not need to upgrade your brakes and NO they did not slow my car down at all!

When it comes to rims, pick what style you like best and base the size of it purely on looks. Don't worry about your performance at all, if any, it's soooo minimal that you wouldn't even notice. This topic has been debated for years.
Old 2/6/06, 10:19 PM
Cobra Member

20's are fine. My car moves with them on. Bumps are way harsher though.... You'll have to watch that.
Old 2/7/06, 04:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can slow you down depending on what size tires you use. For instance 295/40-20 would make the 3.55 rear gears effectively 3.29 Rotational weight of the 20s will be more than the stock 17s. More rotational weight will slow the car down, how much I ave no idea.