05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

***PRODUCT REVIEW (RKSports HOOD)***

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/05, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Guys
I got my RKSports California Dream Ramair hood today and this is my Product review. I figured since I had such a dissappointment in my Street Scene grill I will do this on each new product that I buy for my stang.

It's dark here now so I will take and post pics tomorrow. Let me get straight to the point. The Hood was damaged during shipping. It had a 4 inch gouge on one side. The guy who brought me the hood suggested that I check it before taking it off of the truck. He stated that he delivers many of these hoods for alot of different type of cars and many of them are damaged due to them not being packaged very well and I agree. You can imagine the size of the box that the hood comes in. All it would take is to sandwich the Hood inbetween 2 sheets of styrofoam that is at least 2 inches thick. RKSport does not warranty on shipping damage so if if any corners are broken off you are kinda screwed.
The Hood is 2 parts that are sandwiched together. The Ramair section is not sealed completely from the inner parts of the hood so water can go inbetween the to sections into the channels. This is an easy fix with a little silicone. I'll take pics to explain. I 'll install it to test fit it tomorrow. So far it looks as if not that much prep will be needed. All of the holes have threaded inserts and the holes for the washer nozzles are precut.
For $660.00+ shipping if should be packaged alot better. I also know of one person that had fitment problems with this hood. It hit the Radiator overflow reservior's cap and would not close all of the way. Hopefully I wont have that problem.
Old 12/7/05, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

unacceptable--return and don't look back---
Old 12/7/05, 07:08 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Alot of people have had issues with RK Sport's Hoods.
Old 12/7/05, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, you need to get in touch with them.
Old 12/7/05, 09:11 PM
V6 Member

Yes I am planning on Contacting them tomorrow and faxing the pics also. Now this is a RKsports Hood but I purchased it from LMPerformance so I will let them know also. This is copied and pasted from the LMPerformance Website.

"Returns:
We cannot accept returns on parts that have been used or installed. No returns will be accepted after 30 days and must be in original packaging. Prior authorization must be given before any return can be made. Please call or email us for return authorization. Up to a 20% Restocking Fee may apply. Special orders may be subject to Manufacturer Restock Fees. Returns must be accompanied with a copy of the invoice. Hoods may not be returned unless they are defective. Shipping cost will not be refunded. ALL returns must be first filed using our online form found here:
http://www.LMPerformance.com/returns. "

Now if you install the hood and find out it doesnt fit they can deny the return since it was installed and notice how they say "Hoods may not be returned unless defective" Kinda a catch 22 :scratch:
Old 12/8/05, 04:49 AM
GT Member

It sucks that your hood got damaged. I ordered mine directly from RKSport and had no issues other than the washer nozzle holes needed to be enlarged a little. Good fit & finish according to my shop...
Old 12/8/05, 06:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I also ordered mine directly from RKSport. No issues with mine. The body shop that painted and installed mine said it was one of the best quality and best fit & finish that they had seen on an aftermarket hood.

I did have to add hood pins later on, which I hadn't planned on, nor wanted, due to the hood just didn't seem stable on real windy days at 70-80 mph. The pins cured that.

I'm highly satisfied with my RKSport Hood.
Old 12/8/05, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Why was this topic moved?

This seems like a 2005+ relevant topic, not to be pigeon-holed as an exterior mod.

The problem is with the vendor.

Maybe there should be a vendor review area.

Doesn't the moderator usually say why he/she moved it?

To topic: seems like they should take it back and repay all, or send you a new hood.
Old 12/8/05, 10:18 AM
V6 Member

I agree,there needs to be a vendor product review area. OK here are the pics. Here is one of the corners that was chipped during shipping

The next 2 pics will show the area inside the Ramair Outlet that needs to be sealed. Like I said the hood is 2 sections sandwiched together so water can go inside the channels. This is not really a problem during rain but it is a problem while you wash your car. Also Wet sanding will have to be done during painting.Notice where the white sealer ends.

Here is the gouge that happened during shipping

No PropRod hole

This is how the hood fits. Notice the gap. I will have to open up the holes on the hood hinge to adjust it.

Now here is a biggie.Look at the opening in the Ramair hood in relation to my CAI. They do not line up correctly. When the hood is closed the opening in the hood is off about 6 inches. The opening should be moved forward 6 inches.

Front End shot

Now I plan on getting Hood pins but now I will have to Fab up another Heat shield for the CAI and get the Hood pnuematic cylinders to make the hood stay up without the prop rod. Also I torqued down the mounting screws about 7psi and I could hear the Fiberglass starting to crack. Use Loctite Blue on the bolts and snug them up just enough to hold the hood.
Old 12/8/05, 10:31 AM

Before installing the hood, you should call the company where you bought the hood from. Its common sense. Any damage merchandise is covered the company needs to set up a damage claim. So quit your whinning and get it done. RKSPORT does cover damages, my hood was damage from the freight company and 7 days later i got a new replacement so RKSPORT is a good company to deal with. So call LMPERFORMANCE and geter done.
Old 12/8/05, 10:35 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by mustang_vert@December 8, 2005, 11:34 AM
Before installing the hood, you should call the company where you bought the hood from. Its common sense. Any damage merchandise is covered the company needs to set up a damage claim. So quit your whinning and get it done. RKSPORT does cover damages, my hood was damage from the freight company and 7 days later i got a new replacement so RKSPORT is a good company to deal with. So call LMPERFORMANCE and geter done.

So that is what you do on your first post. If you look at the pics you will see that the damage is not the only issue uneducated bum. The Damage during shipping is minor for me since I can repair it but there are those Mustang owners who cannot. Maybe if you would have gotten you head out of your hiney a post your experience with RK it would have saved someone some headaches.
Old 12/8/05, 11:01 AM
GT Member

Okay - let's all take a deep breath and relax...

I really feel for ya man. That damage is unacceptable. Have you contacted lmperformance yet and showed them these photos? Have you contacted RK Sport? Those would be the first steps. Not sure if I would have even accepted the shipment seeing that damage before it came off the truck. You did have the right to refuse and send it back.

Let us know how you make out after your phone calls. I hope everything gets straightened out for you...
Old 12/8/05, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

To me the Damage is minor since I have been doing body shop work for several year now. Repairs are no problem. I just want to share just incase there are others that want this Hood. This takes away all surprises.
Old 12/8/05, 12:35 PM
GT Member

If you've been doing body work for "several years now" then you should be more than understanding of the fit and finish issues. There are huge tolerances within their manufacturing process as well as Fords. I'm actually kind of impressed with how 'even' the lines are on the hood, so you need to shim the hood hinges a little and do a little prep to that area of the hood all in all at least it bolted up the first time. I've had fiberglass hoods that have more than 30 hours in them just to get them to go on the car straight.

As for the damage, you're right that's not to bad. Although I don't understand the comments of the inner and outer shell aren't sealed together completely. If they were how would the air get from the top through to the bottom?

Jason
Old 12/8/05, 12:45 PM
V6 Member

Having the Hood in 2 sections gives it strength but the entire hood does not need to be in 2 sections. Just the Air inlet for the Ramair. Water can travel in the channel areas in the bottom of the hood all the way back to the cowling while wet sanding or washing your car. Can you imagine hearing water slosh around in your hood evertime you accelerated? Yes I am understanding on the fit and finish. Pure Race Fiberglass parts are alot worse that is why I'm not worried about it. Like I said this is for member information and is in now way meant to bash LMPerformance or RKSport.
Old 12/8/05, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Gixx you are right about the water issue. Also the packaging is terrible. I was lucky as the box was damaged but the hood was ok. My shop said the hood fit and finish was the best they have seen. About the water issue, is the chanell you are showing in the pics the one that goes toward the windshield? Why do you think they put a channel there for? Seal with silicone? What CAI are you using? Thanks
Old 12/8/05, 02:47 PM

good luck dealing with Lm performance, my damaged ram air
hood was at the shippers warehouse for almost 2 months
while i fought with them about getting a new hood, not a good company to deal with at at all!!
Old 12/8/05, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Sandyman@December 8, 2005, 2:50 PM
Gixx you are right about the water issue. Also the packaging is terrible. I was lucky as the box was damaged but the hood was ok. My shop said the hood fit and finish was the best they have seen. About the water issue, is the chanell you are showing in the pics the one that goes toward the windshield? Why do you think they put a channel there for? Seal with silicone? What CAI are you using? Thanks

Yes that channel goes towards the windshield. The Channels are there to add support to the hood. If the channels werent there the hood would fold once it was lited open. I have a C&L ColdAir Intake. The Heat sheild hits the hood so I will have to remove it. I'm going to make another heat shield out of sheet aluminum to make it fit the Ramair exit outlet on the bottom of the Hood.
Old 12/8/05, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mstngchef@December 8, 2005, 4:50 PM
while i fought with them about getting a new hood, not a good company to deal with at at all!!
Man that sucks. I bought mine off of Ebay through RK sports. After the auction, someone said they were selling hoods on Ebay that had one washer nozzle off about 3/4". I emailed them and was told that was not the case. They were very helpful and even followed up by email to make sure everthing got here ok. It's a shame that the actions of a dealer for a good product can sometimes taint the product.
Old 12/14/05, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by mstngchef@December 8, 2005, 3:50 PM
I beg to differ on that.... i have not heard of this happening from one of my customers. DID you actually order it from us? We would never intentionaly do something like you say and it borders on libel or slander. If you have a problem let me know by contacting me at 850-654-4730.

Also as far as damaged hoods in shipping, YES DO REFUSE the shipment, the insurance is paid for DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING the shipping company is at fault for not handling the hood properly!!!however if you sign for it then there is about a 50% chance of the trucking company doing an insurance claim on it If its early enough (that day or so) we can usually can still get the tucking company to go back out and get the hood and we can have another shipped out.

I hope this helps everyone who is thinking of buying a hood, ALWAYS inspect the hood upon delivery before signing for anything

Quick Reply: ***PRODUCT REVIEW (RKSports HOOD)***