05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Possible alternative for front mount plates?

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/05, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was shopping at Meijer tonight for some random Christmas decoration stuff, and saw something that gave me an idea. I live in IL, one of the states that require a front plate for easier ticketing. I saw these suction cups with hooks and it gave me an idea. Maybe I could use these to mount my front plate in the lower right corner of my windshield (inside)? I could use four of these, one for each hole, to suspend the license plate from the glass, similar to a radar detector. It should work in theory. What do you guys think? Even if it works, would it be a legal way to show your front plate?
Old 11/26/05, 09:45 PM
V6 Member

one reason living in PA is not so bad...we don't have front plates
Old 11/26/05, 09:54 PM

I Am curious to know the results. Iam moving to a state next year that requires a front plate. And i really dont want to drill into my front bumper.
Old 11/26/05, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Hrm, unfortunatley I won't be able to try it out for quite a while. My car probably won't be delivered until late January, and then I have to wait for the vanity plates. I tried searching on the display requirements, but couldn't find anything more specific than "two plates required, one in front and one in back". I'd hate to do this and then get a ticket anyways because it isn't on the front bumper.
Old 11/26/05, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I am making a bracket that mounts under the bumper then come out and up to attach the plate to, no visable holes in the bumper cover
Old 11/26/05, 10:06 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen some posted in rear windows
Old 11/26/05, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

Can you Say
V E L C R O
Old 11/26/05, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

nvm, i see now cool idea
Old 11/26/05, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

OK, I am really bored tonight so I decided to try it out with my existing car. I am sorry for the blurry pics but it was quick-and-dirty. These suction cups worked better than I thought, and I didn't even have to use the hooks. I took the hooks off and used a small flathead screwdriver to squeeze one side of the "nipple" so that it went through the holes in the plate. It was a perfect fit and held the plate snugly when I popped them through. I suctioned it to the glass, and tugged at it - it's definitely not going anywhere. The rubber should also dampen any vibrations, and since it doesn't touch the glass, it should be rattle-free. And from the pics, I think it is plainly visible from the front. I think the stang will have a less angled windscreen than my Acura, so it should be even easier to see, to give the cops less of an excuse. The only drawback is that it is pretty friggin huge in the interior, but I don't think it would bother me as much as it would bother my passenger. So that's the dillema.
Old 11/26/05, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about how to make it look better from the inside. I think the Mustang's dash comes up a lot higher than my RSX, so that should help. Also, I think I'll spray paint the back with flat black Rustoleum to help it blend in better and not look so tacky on the inside.
Old 11/27/05, 12:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I might do velcro.....tempting.
Old 11/27/05, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I went through this drill a long time ago.

Velcro doesnt work in freezing weather. Once it freezes it will not stick together.

The best answer is double sided tape. Make sure the bumper is clean and wax free, then cut a couple pieces about 6 inches long and stick that plate where you want it.

Gently stick the plate on then back up to make sure its centered and level, once you set the plate on the tape its not coming off.

I had a front plate on for 3 years with double sided tape, when I moved to another state that didnt have the front plate I ended up bending the crap out of the plate to get it off.

Some alcohol and a little elboe greese, and you never knew the front plate had been there.

Use the tape that is foam, not the real thin stuff.
Old 11/27/05, 09:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
In Massachusetts and many other states, sticking anything in the front window while driving could get you a ticket due to obstructing your view. Even the little plastic placards issued to handicapped motorists here (much smaller than a plate) used to have clear instructions they were NOT to be in the windshield when the car was in operation (they've since switched to ones that hang from the rearview mirror)
Old 11/27/05, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Check this out. I did it as well and works like a charm. I did line the back of the plate with a one sided felt piece of cloth. The other side was sticky. Put it on the plate and then trimmed it. Can't even tell it's there.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...l=license+plate
Old 11/27/05, 02:59 PM

I didn't want to drill the holes in my bumper in hopes that someday the 2-plate law will go away here (or if I move to another state.)

I found a Bell universal plastic license plate mount at my local Pep Boys for around $4. I mounted it to the front fascia with 3M automotive tape and trimmed the license plate screws short enough so they wouldn't extend through the frame and scratch the paint. It's not budging off the car unless someone makes a concerted effort to remove it. Here are some pics:

[attachmentid=39698]
[attachmentid=39699]
Old 11/27/05, 03:40 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I did the same exact thing! It will start to rattle though!
Old 11/27/05, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by S197 GT@November 27, 2005, 6:43 PM
I did the same exact thing! It will start to rattle though!
Does the plate rattle on the base, or the base on the fascia?

I used 3 strips of 3M tape across the width of the base, so there's no place for it to rattle against the fascia. I also used all 4 plate mounting screws to keep the plate secure.
Old 11/29/05, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
bryman,
I live in Elgin and on my previous car I did not have a front plate for over 8 years and never had a problem with the law. I even got pulled over once by a Lake in the Hills cop who was coming towards me when he radared me and he never said anything about the front plate. I always kept it in the trunk and was ready with the "It got tore off at the car wash" excuse. I guess it depends on how much attention you draw to yourself.
When I got my Mustang in Dec. '04 I did not put a front plate on it until spring and then I had a "Nascar" plate on it until I decided it looked stupid and took that off. I never got bothered and had a lot of police looking at my car since it was one of the first in the area.
I do know that they are more likely to harrass you if they think you have an obstructed view in your windshield. I have spoken to a lot of cops who come in to my store. They don't even like things hanging from your rear view mirror like high school grdauation tassles.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 11/29/05, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Just an FYI in regards to the front plate law. I was a police officer in Maryland and there is a violation on the traffic citation that states "failure to attach plates at front and rear." I'm pretty sure that any state that requires front plates will have this charge. The windshield is not considered the front of the car. Now I never wrote a ticket if that was the only violation but there are some officers that will.
Old 12/1/05, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

As a Virginia resident I feel your pain I was recently "reminded" by our neighborhood state trooper that front plates are required in VA.

I did not want to put holes in the front of my bumper!

The suction cups simply will not work IMO, you will end up losing your plate from wind or rain or the force of driving at higher speeds... I used 3M doublestick mounting tape to attach the adapter to the bumper of my MINI Cooper S (plate screwed to adapter)... but the Mustang doesn't have an adapter (at least that my dealer knows of)

So here's what I did (forgive the iffy pics) : I used (2) angle brackets from Home Despot and mounted the plate to them with nylon bolts from Pep Boys, and used the self-tapping screws upwards on the underside of my bumper.... this puts the plate lower, and the holes will not show when it's removed. I still need to get a frame from somewhere.

[attachmentid=39972]

Quick Reply: Possible alternative for front mount plates?