05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/08, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions

I've been a member of this forum for some time now but this is my first post.

I recently had a Parnelli Jones or Saleen Heritage front bumper installed on my 2008 GT. There are a couple of things that still need to be done and was wondering if anyone else has had these issues.

#1-The plastic that covers the underside of the engine does not reach the new bumper. There's currently a gap and wires are holding the front end of the cover. The body shop said there wasn't anything included in the box from Saleen with the bumper to attach it. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem and what they did to resolve it.

#2- Upon further inspection I noticed that there is a gap between my headlight housing and bumper that was not there with the stock bumper. The bumper seems to be correctly installed. Can the headlight housing be pushed further out to fill in the gap?

Btw, the body shop was pretty cool about it and said I can take the car back if there were any issues. I plan on taking it back but just need to be informed before I take the car in.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions-tmpphpoutfm9.jpg   Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions-tmpphpwiwnar.jpg   Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions-tmpphpxfvi6k.jpg  
Old 12/23/08, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I could be wrong but all you need to do to fix the headlights is loosen the screws, push the headlights forward and re-tighten the screws. As far as the splash guard goes I think the PJ either doesn't have one or uses a completely different one.

Last edited by LEO_06GT; 12/23/08 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12/23/08, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the following pics - you can see the bottom of the heritage facia is open without a cover on it. If you want a cover I would suggest making a cardboard one and then cut some styrene or aluminum sheet per the cardboard template. I'm unsure on the headlights but I know there is a bit of adjustment when putting on the front bumper. How does the front wheel openings look?

Edit: I just looked at your pics again and your headlights do look a bit tilted up especially when looking at the top and following the fender curve. Did the body shop move them to get the splitter placed? Look at the second pic I posted of a PJ

Last edited by Deric; 12/23/08 at 04:15 PM. Reason: looked at OP pics again and posted a real PJ pic
Old 12/23/08, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info and the suggestions. Looks like I'll try creating a cardboard template to make my own splash guard extender. The front wheel opening look fine and I'm unsure if the body shop tilted the headlights up but after comparing the pics it looks like that's exactly what happened. Looks like I'll be making another visit to the body shop. Thanks again.
Old 12/23/08, 04:58 PM

i am doing same bumper, had an alum. plate fabbed to fill in between bumper and original deflector.
Old 12/24/08, 01:12 PM

I will be doing this same install. Can someone show the dimensions of this plate that needs to be made to fill that gap. That will help me alot. Thanks.
Old 12/24/08, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
there is a tang on the bumper right under the head light. Is it plugged in correctly? All tho it doesn't look like that is your problem

Last edited by Glenn; 12/24/08 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12/24/08, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
pics
Attached Thumbnails Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions-tang.jpg   Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions-slotnnnnnnnnnn.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12/25/08, 08:12 AM

i hope to get to garage tomorow ,i'll get dimensions and see if i can post them for you. merry x-mas
Old 12/25/08, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Looking at your pics again is the tang cut off? See the red area in the pic below.

Edit: I just looked at a raw bumper on stage3's website and the tang is there (see second pic)

Originally Posted by Glenn
there is a tang on the bumper right under the head light. Is it plugged in correctly? All tho it doesn't look like that is your problem
Attached Thumbnails Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions-headlight_close.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Deric; 12/25/08 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12/26/08, 01:06 PM

I received instructions from Saleen on how to install this bumper. It shows an aero cover to go where this gap is.

I emailed them and received the following answer from Ken:

"The aero piece is the Ford carry over shield used on the Ford stock front fascia, you just need to reuse this piece and reposition it forward a couple of inches."

I hope this helps.
Old 12/26/08, 01:28 PM

What does the aero piece look like? Anyone have a picture?

Originally Posted by JerryP
I received instructions from Saleen on how to install this bumper. It shows an aero cover to go where this gap is.

I emailed them and received the following answer from Ken:

"The aero piece is the Ford carry over shield used on the Ford stock front fascia, you just need to reuse this piece and reposition it forward a couple of inches."

I hope this helps.
Old 12/26/08, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Are you sure they're thinking about below the headlights? There wasn't any piece that went below the headlights when I installed my bumper.
Old 12/26/08, 04:52 PM

This is the piece that fills the gap under the bumper.
Old 12/26/08, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JerryP
This is the piece that fills the gap under the bumper.
Gotcha - you mean the splash shield / rock guard panel. The OP has that piece. I think he's more worried about the gaps at the bottom of his headlights.
Old 12/26/08, 05:49 PM

here is the extension i made to go between original splash shield and pj bumper.i needed to put the bends to clear an intercooler, maybe you won't need them for yours. hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions-12-26-2008-7-37-34-pm.jpg  
Old 5/1/15, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Hopefully you got it all resolved by now, lol. But in the instructions for the install it says to add washers behind the headlight bolts to bring them out to meet flush with the PJ bumper. Yeah, my body shop skipped that part, and I have lived with the gap for a while.
Also as mentioned, the factory shield is used, but moved up a few inches. The bad thing is now it covers the radiator petcock for easy drain and fill of the coolant

Looks like a little more to it on that shield after looking at my instructions.
If ya need, I can snap pics of, but the pics on the instructions are dark as is.

Last edited by Stoenr; 5/1/15 at 12:10 PM.
Old 7/12/15, 07:26 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow way to revive an old post. From 2008 to 2015. living up to your name Stoenr. lol

Last edited by dly; 7/12/15 at 07:28 AM.
Old 9/27/23, 01:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dly
Wow way to revive an old post. From 2008 to 2015. living up to your name Stoenr. lol
Old post now? lol I still got mine!
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (9/27/23)
Old 9/27/23, 01:12 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoenr
Old post now? lol I still got mine!
We Call Them Legacy Posts These Days! It's All Good! Good to See Another Member From the Brad Barnett Days! Did One of Our Revived Posts Send You an Email???

We Are Seeing A Few Members From Back in the Day Peek Around! Love to have You Reintroduce Yourself in Here!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ispreloading=1

KC

Quick Reply: Parnelli Jones front bumper install questions