05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Painting street scene louvers and ducktail spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/06 | 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am not having much luck getting a good paint job on my street scene parts. I took my CDC chin spoiler and generation 2 louvers to a ford dealer in Windsor to be painted for$225. The chin spoiler was great but the louvers were pitted ,their trailing edges were ragged and the paint was missing an d shiny black surfaces showing. I didn't care to argue with the body shop manager who felt he had done me a favour since ,"the darn things were so hard to get paint to stick".
When I got my ducktail ,I followed all the prep instructions,wet sanded the parts,scrubbed them with a scotch pad and ajax twice. I then took them to a local paint shop in Belle River who agreed to re-do the louvers and do the ducktail, another $200.
I went to pick them up today, there was a good coverage of paint ,but still some pits visible here and there . The spoiler was a mess, the paint covered but puckered up on both end pieces HE IS GOING TO RE-DO THE SPOILER, But what are they missing? Can the material be filled with a body filler if it has pits ? Can't a coat or two of prime hide scratches and slight imperfections ? Help, I'm pissed and frustrated!
Old 4/13/06 | 02:42 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karrnutt @ April 13, 2006, 1:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am not having much luck getting a good paint job on my street scene parts. I took my CDC chin spoiler and generation 2 louvers to a ford dealer in Windsor to be painted for$225. The chin spoiler was great but the louvers were pitted ,their trailing edges were ragged and the paint was missing an d shiny black surfaces showing. I didn't care to argue with the body shop manager who felt he had done me a favour since ,"the darn things were so hard to get paint to stick".
When I got my ducktail ,I followed all the prep instructions,wet sanded the parts,scrubbed them with a scotch pad and ajax twice. I then took them to a local paint shop in Belle River who agreed to re-do the louvers and do the ducktail, another $200.
I went to pick them up today, there was a good coverage of paint ,but still some pits visible here and there . The spoiler was a mess, the paint covered but puckered up on both end pieces HE IS GOING TO RE-DO THE SPOILER, But what are they missing? Can the material be filled with a body filler if it has pits ? Can't a coat or two of prime hide scratches and slight imperfections ? Help, I'm pissed and frustrated!
[/b][/quote]

That's ashame that your having so much trouble with the preparation and painting of your spoiler.I guess the key to this whole process is to find a Body Shop that you can trust to do the job right the first time. I think they were to much in hurry and didn't finish the prep corrctly.I just had a three piece Cervinis Duck Tail prep'd and painted by my local body shop.Cost was $300.00 I didn't complain about the price but told them I expected it to come out perfect No Excuses.and that's what I got a beautifully prep'd and paint in Black finished with clear that looks every bit as good the original black on the car.I will put on the car this weekend and hope to have pictures then.
Old 4/14/06 | 09:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What material are they made of? The Xenon scoops are made of a polyurethane material and there is a special type of prepartaion that has to be done. I don't know the sepcifics, but any P&B guy worth a darn will know this. I have mine at the painter as we speak and I will post pics when they are done. I will also talk extensively with the painter for a few more specifics on what had to be done.

And if you weren't happy with the Dealership, I darn sure wouldn't have paid them until it was done RIGHT !! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]
Old 4/15/06 | 05:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

It wasn't the dealership where I purchased my car, they treat me like royalty! This was the dealership I like the least and try to avoid like the plague,but they have a bodyshop and the do a lot of Roush and Saleen clones and have done some great painted stripe jobs.Naturally, I didn't buy my parts from them because they overcharge greatly .I don't need the hastle and don't think they would graciously repair their mistakes.
Old 4/20/06 | 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karrnutt @ April 15, 2006, 7:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It wasn't the dealership where I purchased my car, they treat me like royalty! This was the dealership I like the least and try to avoid like the plague,but they have a bodyshop and the do a lot of Roush and Saleen clones and have done some great painted stripe jobs.Naturally, I didn't buy my parts from them because they overcharge greatly .I don't need the hastle and don't think they would graciously repair their mistakes.
[/b][/quote]
They might not be doing enough layers of paint. When I had my spoiler painted, the finish did not look quite right. The body shop did 2 more coats of paint with wet sanding in between and then clearcoat to finishi it off. It came out looking better then factory.
Old 4/20/06 | 01:56 PM
I Have No Life

Polyurethane is a real pain to paint. I know the guys that have done my pieces have had to redo some sections. Anyway, it is all in the prep work. I know they epoxy coated my body kit to avoid having all those pinholes