05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

paint or vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/05, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided that I want stripes on my car. I was considering vinyl but I heard that...
a. it only lasts 3 years
b. they use a razor and cut into your clear coat which is visible if you have the vinyl removed

I like the idea of vinyl because its not permanant (I can totally see myself getting tired of the stripes) and it is cheaper. I don't know anything about vinyl, so here are my questions about it...
1. is a. and/or b. from above true?
2. if you take them off after 3 years, will there be visible marks where they used to be (will the paint be less faded under the vinyl?
3. do they damage the paint or clear coat?
4. is there a chance they will start to fall off and make my car look ghetto?

Lastly, what are the prices to have vinyl stripes installed? I heard $1500 to $2500 for painted stripes! :shock: Hence why I'm trying to learn more about vinyl.

Any pros/cons to vinyl that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help/opinions.
Old 8/20/05, 10:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i have vinyl stripes. Both A and B are false. the stripes are cut by a computer in a good shop prior to putting them on the car. Second ive had vinyl decals on my tbird since 2000 and they have not peeled, faded, or have anything else happen to them since and that car has been in direct sunlight for about the last 3 years. Vinyl over time, if not properly taken care of can fade and crack but as long as you keep a good coat of wax on top and keep the car out of the sun as much as possibly youll never have a problem. Like i said my tbird has been in the sun for 3 of the 5 years with vinyl and no problems yet. cost me $400 to put the stripes on, including the vinyl itself. Much better than 2000 bucks. and they are removable. if one gets scuffed up or torn or anything happens to it i can replace it. Or i can totally remove them and they do not damage the clearcoat underneath. a quick wax and buff and youd never know they were ever there. PM adrenaline. he is the TMS vinyl guru.
Old 8/21/05, 02:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Most vinyl at a good vinyl shop should last 7 or more years. They do not use razor blades or cut your car, the vinyl is precut and is just laid out like that.

There is a chance your paint will fade, so taking off the vinyl after several years, you could see a difference in color. I've seen a lot of cars around with those "Support the Troops" magnetice ribbons removed, and there is a difference, especially on red cars for some reason. Taking care of it, good/frequent wax, storing out of the sun, etc, will help to prevent fade.

Just checked with my local shop: $475 for gloss black Lemans stripes, 10.5" wide and 1.5" seperation, the whole car. I think $475 is a little high. But I've heard some folks who got theirs done for $300, the shop said they never wanted to do another because it was a PITA. The shop here has done them before, so they know how difficult it is, especially the curves in the bumper.

Still, I think with a good coat of wax and proper care, vinyl is a cost effective option.
Old 8/21/05, 06:45 AM
Queen Of Nascar

I just got a price from a very reputable shop in my area for painted stripes. $700 Not bad considering I paid $300 for vinyl.
Old 8/21/05, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<clears throat>

PAGING ADRENALIN!!!

Old 8/21/05, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the replies guys, they have all been extremely informative and helpful. I think I'm going to do it...

Donna, even though the paint job is only a few hundred dollars more, I still like the idea of vinyl because its "temporary". I'm the kind of guy who would probably like the stripes for a few years, then change my mind and not want something so flashy. Hence why I'm curious about how the paint will look after 3 years when I take the vinyl off. i.e. will the paint not be as faded under the vinyl? It seems like people think that wax will alleviate the problem though.
Old 8/21/05, 12:44 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2 cents.

3 year vinyl is called calendared vinyl and should not be installed on a car. It is not made for this type of application. use a 2 mil automotive grade vinyl from 3M or Avery. It will last from 5-9 years depending on the colour and how you treat your vehicle.

Razor blade is used when triming vinyl by hand once it has been applied to the car. As in the case with my car they are hand made, but if you know what you are doing you are not cutting into the clearcoat. At most you might scratch it which can be buffed out. However, you are correct in one way. If the person doesn't care because it is not their car they might not be that careful and cut pretty deep.

Anyway, computer cut kits should not require any hand cutting.

After having the stripes on for a few years and then you remove them you will notice a difference in colour between where the stripes were and the rest of the paint. That is normal. Some people call it fading but your car has not faded. It is oxidization of the clearcoat caused by scratches, mother nature, etc etc. Just polish the car and you are done.

Now, I must move this post to the exterior mods section
Old 8/21/05, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

adrenalin, thank you very much. That answered every question I had to the exact detail that I wanted. Vinyl sounds like the way to go for me!
Old 8/21/05, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<puts another kill on the side of the vinyl guru>

I knew the ace pilot would take care of that.

Old 8/21/05, 07:52 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Anyway, if there is anything I am trying to make sure everyone understands is you should only apply 2 mil vinyl to your cars. Make sure you ask the shop if it is 2 mil or 3 mil vinyl. 3 mil is a lot cheaper and general only used for sign making and typically not recommended for vehicle application (unless you are just putting a phone number for the local pizza joint on your car)
Old 8/22/05, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I asked a local graphics shop and here is what they said:

"avery A6, plotter cut, no finishing necessary"

Does that check out, adrenalin? Is avery A6 2 mil? What does plotter cut mean? Does that mean no razor blade on my car? What does no finishing necessary mean?

I'm paranoid and I always think businesses are out to rip me off, hence why I like to get the opinion/input of an uninterested third party. I'm sure if I ask them these same questions, they'll just say, "sure sure, it's high quality stuff, whatever." Thanks for the help, man.
Old 8/22/05, 07:52 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by clockworks@August 22, 2005, 7:07 PM
I asked a local graphics shop and here is what they said:

"avery A6, plotter cut, no finishing necessary"

Does that check out, adrenalin? Is avery A6 2 mil? What does plotter cut mean? Does that mean no razor blade on my car? What does no finishing necessary mean?

I'm paranoid and I always think businesses are out to rip me off, hence why I like to get the opinion/input of an uninterested third party. I'm sure if I ask them these same questions, they'll just say, "sure sure, it's high quality stuff, whatever." Thanks for the help, man.
Avery A6 specs:
Durability - 6 years - used for intermediate signage
Conformability - flat, simple curves
Adhesive - permanent solvent
Gloss: 70
Type - calendered vinyl

Even thought this is a calendared vinyl (3 mil) , Avery does state it can be used on vehicles. It does not conform to complex curves so. Available in 72 colours.

See if he can provide you with A8 instead.

A8 specs
Durability - 8 years - high-performance standard for durability
Conformability - frivets, corrugations, compound curves
Adhesive - permanent solvent
Gloss: 90
Type - cast vinyl (2 mil)
A8 is available in 102 different colours.

Plotter cut is what you want. It is computer designed and then cut on a plotter, so nothing is cut by hand. If he says no finishing I assume he means you don't have to seam anything or trim with a knife.

Hope that helped
Old 8/22/05, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, that helped very much, thank you. Why the rolling of the eyes though?? Also, is there a significant price difference between A6 and A8? Thanks again.
Old 8/23/05, 06:08 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Sorry about the rolling eyes. Didn't mean that in a bad way.
What price did the guy give you? Most people are paying around $450-$600 to have A8 quality material installed.
A8 material should be about double the cost of A6, if not more.
Old 8/23/05, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

He told me to email him my car and the color stripes that I want and he'll get me a price quote, but I said don't bother because I don't want A6 vinyl. Thanks for the prices, I'm now an informed consumer on this matter...>=)