05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

No drill front plate...

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/05, 11:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Okay everyone, lets all start thinking of a way to mount the front plates (for those that must) without drilling into our beautiful bumpers.

Has anyone fabricate some brackets that could mount under the bumper yet? I'd like to see some of your ideas.

I'm thinking of getting some plastic that bends at a 90 degree angle then drill underneath the bumper.

Maybe some strong velcro would hold? I'm not sure. :scratch:
Old 5/11/05, 12:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Old 5/11/05, 01:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

double sided tape
Old 5/11/05, 02:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm thinking something that mounts somewhere behind the bumper and extends through the lower front opening then up to whatever the legal height is for a plate (if there is one). I'm surprised Ford itself or some aftermarket supplier hasn't already come up with one...
Old 5/11/05, 02:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

just leave it off and if you happen to get a ticket for it then just bring a pic to court showing it back on the car and they will dismiss the ticket i do it all the time
Old 5/11/05, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by vc4life@May 11, 2005, 2:31 AM
just leave it off and if you happen to get a ticket for it then just bring a pic to court showing it back on the car and they will dismiss the ticket i do it all the time
So you commit a felony (perjury) to get out of a ticket? Great as long as you don't get busted for it. The first time they catch you lying in court they can throw you in jail for a year or more...NOT worth it. :notnice:
Old 5/11/05, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

You will need to make it out of a thin aluminum. I am waiting for my car so that I can make one. My thining was to mount it under the bumper, above where the lowest opening is. I am assuming there is probably a few existing screws there to hold the bumper onto whatever framework is behind it but as I said I dont have my car so I dont know. We bend plastic daily at my shop but with the wind pushing on it as you go down the road it is going to push inward towards the car. I think the aluminum is going to work better. I have something in mind if I can get my darn car. I am going to talk with the plater we use to see if I can get these brackets color matched in a powder coating as well. So if all goes wellI would be able to make a bunch of these up, let everyone know, and see what colors people want and do something like the company did on the intake plenum covers. If anyone could take some good pics of the area I am describing on the front of the car and post it on here it would be great. Then worst case we could have someone take some measurements and I can make a sample. I own a plastics distribution and machining company and we fabricate all kinds of things out of plastic and aluminum with cnc equipment so this wont be that hard.
Old 5/11/05, 06:58 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by DENVER05GT@May 10, 2005, 11:43 PM
Okay everyone, lets all start thinking of a way to mount the front plates (for those that must) without drilling into our beautiful bumpers.

Has anyone fabricate some brackets that could mount under the bumper yet? I'd like to see some of your ideas.

I'm thinking of getting some plastic that bends at a 90 degree angle then drill underneath the bumper.

OK, I'll try to explain what I did?
I went to Lowe’s (Home Depot, same thing) and bought 2 10†flat steel plates. They already have 5 holes pre-drilled in them. I then hammered them into an ‘L’ and cut off about 2 1/4†on one end. I use the top hole that is already in the plate for the license plate. I then used 3M double-sided auto tape, for the rest of the steel plate that touched the license plate. I then cut-out 2 small notches in the lower opening grill insert for these plate to slide into. (see the red in the picture) I just cut the openings as wide as the steel plates (about 1 ¼â€) and only the top part of the black plastic piece that is in the lower grill opening. If I took off my plate, you almost can’t even tell I did anything to the car, unless you already knew about the cuts! The steel plates slide into these openings about 2 ¼â€, then they stop, because the piece above this black insert has a shoulder to it. Maybe hard to explain, but these plates will only slide in about 2 ¼†then stop! I then drilled a hole, through the black plastic insert, through the steel plate and through the plastic bumper. I then used 1 2†lag screw and carefully tighten them, just enough to get snug. Since everything here is plastic, don’t drill the hole to big, you want it smaller than your lag screws. The black plastic insert of the grill, is stronger then the plastic bumper (at least it feels a lot stronger). I then bought 4 security license plate screws with locking nuts. That way, no one can steal my Vanity Plate. I then mounted my plate with a black steel frame and a smoked plastic cover! I’m getting my stripes installed soon, so everything will blend together nicely, because my center stripe is a 21†wide black stripe. I will try to take some nice pictures for everyone. I can un-mount the plate, so you can see the brackets and the 2 openings I cut.

BTW, the brackets cost $1.97 each!

Dave...
Old 5/11/05, 08:37 AM
V6 Member

You could try this.

Retract a Plate
Old 5/11/05, 09:42 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by LLG05+May 11, 2005, 6:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LLG05 @ May 11, 2005, 6:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DENVER05GT@May 10, 2005, 11:43 PM

OK, I'll try to explain what I did?
I went to Lowe’s (Home Depot, same thing) and bought 2 10†flat steel plates. They already have 5 holes pre-drilled in them. I then hammered them into an ‘L’ and cut off about 2 1/4†on one end. I use the top hole that is already in the plate for the license plate. I then used 3M double-sided auto tape, for the rest of the steel plate that touched the license plate. I then cut-out 2 small notches in the lower opening grill insert for these plate to slide into. (see the red in the picture) I just cut the openings as wide as the steel plates (about 1 ¼â€) and only the top part of the black plastic piece that is in the lower grill opening. If I took off my plate, you almost can’t even tell I did anything to the car, unless you already knew about the cuts! The steel plates slide into these openings about 2 ¼â€, then they stop, because the piece above this black insert has a shoulder to it. Maybe hard to explain, but these plates will only slide in about 2 ¼†then stop! I then drilled a hole, through the black plastic insert, through the steel plate and through the plastic bumper. I then used 1 2†lag screw and carefully tighten them, just enough to get snug. Since everything here is plastic, don’t drill the hole to big, you want it smaller than your lag screws. The black plastic insert of the grill, is stronger then the plastic bumper (at least it feels a lot stronger). I then bought 4 security license plate screws with locking nuts. That way, no one can steal my Vanity Plate. I then mounted my plate with a black steel frame and a smoked plastic cover! I’m getting my stripes installed soon, so everything will blend together nicely, because my center stripe is a 21†wide black stripe. I will try to take some nice pictures for everyone. I can un-mount the plate, so you can see the brackets and the 2 openings I cut.

BTW, the brackets cost $1.97 each!

Dave...
[/b][/quote]

This is a good idea. How did you cut the slits? What tool did you use? Could you describe these steel plates you found at Lowes, what department did you find them?

Thanks in advace
Old 5/11/05, 10:01 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by DENVER05GT@May 11, 2005, 9:45 AM
This is a good idea. How did you cut the slits? What tool did you use? Could you describe these steel plates you found at Lowes, what department did you find them?

Thanks in advace
I got the steel plates in the section where they have "L" brackets & hinges (like the kind you'd put on a barn or shed). They have different sizes like 10" & 12" flat plates. They have "L" brackets, but I want to be able to cut mine to the exact size I wanted. You might be ok with the 6" 'L' bracket they sell? But I think you'll end up cutting off some on both ends! To cut the slits, I marked the width with a marker, exactly where the brackets should go (do this by mounting your plate on the brackets, using the top hole only, after you hammer them into the L) then I cut down both sides of the width, about 1/8" then I used a shape exacto knife and took my time. Cutting a little off going in each direction, towards the down cuts. I will take some pictures for you all.

Dave...
Old 5/11/05, 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by edcrbnsoul@May 11, 2005, 8:40 AM
You could try this.

Retract a Plate

That looks slick!!! Has anyone done it on an 05??? Everything work ok???
Old 5/11/05, 10:10 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by GMAYS+May 11, 2005, 10:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GMAYS @ May 11, 2005, 10:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-edcrbnsoul@May 11, 2005, 8:40 AM
You could try this.

Retract a Plate

That looks slick!!! Has anyone done it on an 05??? Everything work ok???
[/b][/quote]

Here's the problem with that thing. Where are you going to mount it? Way under the front bumper? That thing will sit too low. Maybe if you either remove the lower grill insert or cut-out the center brace, then mount it there?

Dave...
Old 5/12/05, 06:50 AM
GT Member

OK, I took some pictures this morning. I didn't remove the plate, but you should get an idea of what I did. If you really need to see the slits in the black insert, I can remove the plate and take another picutre. I hope this helps everyone. I do need to remove the plate again anyway, and trim off the 2 bottom bolts, so they don't stick out past the nut.

Dave...
Old 5/12/05, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dave, so there were not already screws already in that area for holding that black trin peice in place? I was hoping so, that way nothing would need to be frilled and I could use existing holes for the bracket I have in mind. Back to the drawing board

FYI, may I suggest you get 2 small peices of rubber for the back of the plate where the screws come through? If the brackets bend at all it will allow the screws to rub on your bumper and remove paint.
Old 5/12/05, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice solution Dave. I've seen something similar on a couple of cars.
Old 5/12/05, 07:43 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Webba+May 12, 2005, 7:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Webba @ May 12, 2005, 7:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dave, so there were not already screws already in that area for holding that black trin peice in place? I was hoping so, that way nothing would need to be frilled and I could use existing holes for the bracket I have in mind. Back to the drawing board

FYI, may I suggest you get 2 small peices of rubber for the back of the plate where the screws come through? If the brackets bend at all it will allow the screws to rub on your bumper and remove paint.
[/b]

Nope, no screws there. The black plastic grill insert, is just snapped-in the opening. As for the back of the screws, I do plan to remove the plate again, and cut-off any part of the bolts that stick past the nuts. The top 2 bolts, barely come past the nuts because they go through the steel licence plate frame, smoke cover, licence plate, then the steel brackets. Also, I will file any rough edges down too. I'm not worried about the paint coming off, I will be install vinal stripes soon. The center stripe is a 21" wide black stripe, going all the way down the bumper. Plus, these brackets are like 1/4" steel and it is Rock Solid and dosen't move at all.

<!--QuoteBegin-JustAnotherDude
@May 12, 2005, 7:36 AM
Nice solution Dave. I've seen something similar on a couple of cars.
[/quote]
Thanks. I like the way it turned out. If I didn't get a Vainty Plate, I just would have run without a front plate. My last vehicle I went 4 years without one, and never got a ticket!

Dave...
Old 5/12/05, 08:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No problems with no front plate, yet.

let me emphasize YET....
I just cant see messing up the streamed lines of the bumper.
now if I had the V-6 I would put a plate on it because that bumper has an indention for the plate. It looks like something is missing when it is not there.
No such thing on the GT.

I guess yall know all that...It's just that
I cant see putting one on no matter how its rigged. :nono:
Old 5/12/05, 09:45 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the Pictures Dave.
Old 5/12/05, 09:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the positive side, the Texas House voted to repeal the front license plate...we'll see if the Senate follows.

This hopefully won't be an issue in Texas too much longer.

Quick Reply: No drill front plate...