05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Need advice on a new hood

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/06, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on a new hood

I have narrowed my choices down to the Cali Dream Hood and the Steeda Race hood. My first motivation for the new hood is keeping the temps down under the hood. I have an S/C and would like to get as much fresh air over it as possible. The steeda hood would help air flow over the engine better since it has a cowl opening. Is the CD hood open at the windshield? My second motivation is of course for looks. I love the look of the CD hood but don't really need a ram-air. I have seen both of these hoods in carbon fiber on ebay but am not sure of the quality and the prices seem a little high. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated.
Old 8/22/06, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

The CD hood is not carbon fiber. If you saw that one on Ebay, that guy doesn't know what he is talking about.
Old 8/22/06, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CD hood is great, and does have maybe a 1/2 inch gap along the back of the hood. I noticed that the back edge tended to bounce quite a bit while driving, however, and bought a roll of weatherstripping to add to the back edge. This did make it rock solid, but it closed the gap. You could probably leave a gap in the center one third or so for air to flow, but it wouldn't be a huge opening. You could also drill holes in the back side of the front intakes under the hood to introduce cooler air into the engine bay, and block off the factory vent opening with a piece of aluminum, or something. That would put air right where you needed it, and maybe the gap at the rear edge would let the heat out? As far as I know, the CD hood is NOT made in CF! There is a thread here somewhere, where some guy on ebay doesn't seem to know what he is talking about, advertising a fiberglass hood that is "definitely" carbon fiber. Try a search. I don't know about the Steeda hood, but the CD hood will need hood pins!
Old 8/22/06, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is the one you want, Seibon wet carbon fiber, and it has the same lines as the CD hood... I think it looks great, and the quality of Seibon's stuff is top notch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...23308366QQrdZ1
Old 8/22/06, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very cool Lokius. Not quite the same lines, though. The Seibon hood is a bit more agressive, I think. The raised area is a bit sharper and steeper. The CD hood is nearly flat out near the scoops, while the Seibon one is raised all the way out. I think I like the Seibon one a bit better, but it's hard to tell since they don't show it at many angles. Half the weight of stock? Wow! The CD hood is noticeably heavier than stock. It took two guys to sit my CD hood in place with some care (not heavy, but bulky), but they tossed my stock hood around like a potato chip! How is the Seibon hood plumbed for air? I assume it's functional? Price is another issue. The Seibon is $960 MSRP, plus $100 shipping? I got my CD hood for under $700, shipping free (direct from RKSport). Shipping was a special deal, though. If money is not a big deal, or weight is your main objective, then Seibon wins. The RKSport hood is plenty good enough if you're just looking for style.
Old 8/22/06, 07:04 PM
Big Falken Tires

Man that carbon fiber is just

Like the design though....

I vote for the RK Sport - you can do the weatherstripping on the bwack end BUT leave a four inch gap in the center to vent the heat through the cowl portion - that's what I did.

Looks great, works great.
Old 8/22/06, 07:31 PM
V6 Member

It was definitely the Seibon hood that I saw that was CF. It looks like they have a Cali Dream hood knockoff and a Cowl/Steeda hood knockoff. I saw the thread on the other "CF" cali dream hood. Shady stuff .

I am leaning toward one of the CF hoods since I wouldn't have to paint it right away (as long as it wouldn't look too ricey). My car is black so it may look okay. Does CF require as much prep work as fiberglass?
Old 8/22/06, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by backafter20
Very cool Lokius. Not quite the same lines, though. The Seibon hood is a bit more agressive, I think. The raised area is a bit sharper and steeper. The CD hood is nearly flat out near the scoops, while the Seibon one is raised all the way out. I think I like the Seibon one a bit better, but it's hard to tell since they don't show it at many angles. Half the weight of stock? Wow! The CD hood is noticeably heavier than stock. It took two guys to sit my CD hood in place with some care (not heavy, but bulky), but they tossed my stock hood around like a potato chip! How is the Seibon hood plumbed for air? I assume it's functional? Price is another issue. The Seibon is $960 MSRP, plus $100 shipping? I got my CD hood for under $700, shipping free (direct from RKSport). Shipping was a special deal, though. If money is not a big deal, or weight is your main objective, then Seibon wins. The RKSport hood is plenty good enough if you're just looking for style.
You can find them for around 700 + shipping, just find shops that carry seibon products, and ask them if they can special order mustang parts, since most of them carry the seibon products only for sport compacts.
Old 8/22/06, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the CD hood as you can see!
You can leave the rear weather strip off in the center and get the hot air out of the engine bay and still eliminate the hood from bouncing.
Lines of the CD hood break the large area up better than others.
I agree with Burke0011 and Backafter20 and vote for the CD hood.
Here is pic to help you makeup your mind.
Watch out for the CD carbon fiber one on E-bay.
Old 8/22/06, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you looked at the latest hood from MRT? The Cherry 6T6 piece is similar in design to the California Dream hood. I understand from Scott Hoag, MRT's president, that it weighs the same as the stock aluminum hood and has mesh screens covering the openings.
Old 8/23/06, 07:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Have you looked at the latest hood from MRT? The Cherry 6T6 piece is similar in design to the California Dream hood. I understand from Scott Hoag, MRT's president, that it weighs the same as the stock aluminum hood and has mesh screens covering the openings.
That is pretty nice. Price is a bit nicer too. I don't like the inlets though, its almost looks like they are squinting at you

Thanks for the pic, sc67stang, I really love that look. Everyone seems to like that hood that has one. I agree that the lines help break up the big hood. Any trouble cleaning/waxing those lines?

Anyone out there with the Steeda hood?
Old 8/23/06, 11:14 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by SC67Stang
I like the CD hood as you can see!
You can leave the rear weather strip off in the center and get the hot air out of the engine bay and still eliminate the hood from bouncing.
Lines of the CD hood break the large area up better than others.
I agree with Burke0011 and Backafter20 and vote for the CD hood.
Here is pic to help you makeup your mind.
Watch out for the CD carbon fiber one on E-bay.
Steve knows his stuff - he was a 'pioneer' with this hood.

I followed HIS instructions to install my hood pins AND the whole weatherstripping trick at the rear of the hood (WITH the gap in the middle)

Thanks again man!
Old 8/23/06, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been very happy with my CF hood.....had it for 9 months now. Pics are on my cardomain page in my sig.
Old 8/23/06, 07:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mustangspeeder
I've been very happy with my CF hood.....had it for 9 months now. Pics are on my cardomain page in my sig.
Nice . Is your hood painted or did you leave it CF? I couldn't tell. No hood pins? As light as CF is I figured it would bounce around without them. Thanks.
Old 8/23/06, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford Mustang GT Concept Car Hood

Still waiting for someone to make this one. California Dream'n hood comes
close - but no cigar !!
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on a new hood-2005_ford_mustang_gt_concept_coupe_1024x768_6.jpg  
Old 8/24/06, 03:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

The concept hood is too flat, IMO, but I do love the way that the scoops ram air into the intake. Now that is a neat set-up! Fordcrazy has combined the CD hood with the WMS intake for something similar that I might try myself. (see GTperformance threads)
Old 8/24/06, 05:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Alright, already ...

Ditto!

Originally Posted by GTRacerX
Still waiting for someone to make this one. California Dream'n hood comes
close - but no cigar !!
Old 8/24/06, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by osu_p51
Nice . Is your hood painted or did you leave it CF? I couldn't tell. No hood pins? As light as CF is I figured it would bounce around without them. Thanks.
I left it CF and like the look. Yes, I have hood pins (Steeda). I drove around with no pins for a month or so and everything over 70mph would baloon the hood up to the point where I could have fit my hand and under it.
Old 8/24/06, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I still like my CD Hood...It has done a great job and is still a show stopper.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice on a new hood-22.jpg   Need advice on a new hood-15.jpg  
Old 8/25/06, 07:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mustangspeeder
I left it CF and like the look. Yes, I have hood pins (Steeda). I drove around with no pins for a month or so and everything over 70mph would baloon the hood up to the point where I could have fit my hand and under it.
I am suprised CF would flex like that. I knew fiberglass would but CF is a lot stronger.

Quick Reply: Need advice on a new hood