05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

My car is almost back!

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/06, 07:35 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday afternoon I went to the body shop, hoping to finally pick up my car after being involved in a wreck last December. Well, there is one last problem... they reinstalled the airbag, sensor, etc. and the airbag light will not go off. I talked the body shop guy into letting me drive the car over to my Ford dealership (the body shop is actually in a nearby city from me) to find out what's wrong with the airbag instead of him taking it to the dealership over there. So, I actually got to drive it about 15 miles yesterday. That was the highlight of my year. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]

So, the car is sitting at Ford right now and could be ready as soon as today... or if they need to order a part, it would be no later than next week. There is a light at the end of this long tunnel. And I can finally see it. I took a couple pics at Ford last night. Keep in mind that the car is dirty, and the pics are really bad. Not only is it dark and starting to rain, but I'm using my work's digital camera which is really old. This is the best I can do right now. You can see the changes I've done though while it was in the shop: new hood, grilles, 3DCarbon side scoops and my '67 chrome mirrors with custom-made mirror-delete panels (over 12 hours of fabrication in these panels [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] ). I also added the GT350 rear badge from a '66 Shelby. I didn't want to use '67 badging because I don't want the car to say Shelby on it. So, the best compromise was to use badging from the '66.

The grilles on the RKSport hood scoop are not quite finished yet... I put one coat of paint (with a brush) and still need to come back and tape the hood off and spray paint a couple more coats. When I spray it, I'll make sure to mist some black into the hood scoop so it doesn't show up so much when light is shining through it... like at night. I also need to install my hood pins and GT350 rocker stripes. But that's basically it. I should have some good pics once I install everything next weekend. And I will post the new pics here in this topic.
Old 3/10/06, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Lookin sweet! I bet you can't wait.
Old 3/10/06, 07:57 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I look forward to seeing the finished product [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 08:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Uh, like WOW man - WOW that looks fantastic [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 08:13 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait to see a lot of pics of your car.
Old 3/10/06, 09:28 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Sweeeeet Ian!! That looks so good. Can't wait to see daylight pics. The center fogs look awesome. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

Lookin goodin good brother.
Old 3/10/06, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ March 10, 2006, 9:38 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yesterday afternoon I went to the body shop, hoping to finally pick up my car after being involved in a wreck last December. Well, there is one last problem... they reinstalled the airbag, sensor, etc. and the airbag light will not go off. I talked the body shop guy into letting me drive the car over to my Ford dealership (the body shop is actually in a nearby city from me) to find out what's wrong with the airbag instead of him taking it to the dealership over there. So, I actually got to drive it about 15 miles yesterday. That was the highlight of my year. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]

So, the car is sitting at Ford right now and could be ready as soon as today... or if they need to order a part, it would be no later than next week. There is a light at the end of this long tunnel. And I can finally see it. I took a couple pics at Ford last night. Keep in mind that the car is dirty, and the pics are really bad. Not only is it dark and starting to rain, but I'm using my work's digital camera which is really old. This is the best I can do right now. You can see the changes I've done though while it was in the shop: new hood, grilles, 3DCarbon side scoops and my '67 chrome mirrors with custom-made mirror-delete panels (over 12 hours of fabrication in these panels [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] ). I also added the GT350 rear badge from a '66 Shelby. I didn't want to use '67 badging because I don't want the car to say Shelby on it. So, the best compromise was to use badging from the '66.

The grilles on the RKSport hood scoop are not quite finished yet... I put one coat of paint (with a brush) and still need to come back and tape the hood off and spray paint a couple more coats. When I spray it, I'll make sure to mist some black into the hood scoop so it doesn't show up so much when light is shining through it... like at night. I also need to install my hood pins and GT350 rocker stripes. But that's basically it. I should have some good pics once I install everything next weekend. And I will post the new pics here in this topic.
[/b][/quote]
Holy crap Ian, I did not even know your car got wrecked..duh. Looks great, I second what I said to you last year" 3d carbon window u-trim would look great on your car witrh what you are trying to do.
How about a report on that hood from RK Sport, I was going to get that hood but just heard to many bad things, from shipping damage to , to much prep work, and hood failure once on the car. Is it me or is it the pic on the right, it appears to me that the front pass side is lifted in the front? Who's foglight grill did you use?
Old 3/10/06, 10:27 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks for all the compliments. All I can say is if you like those pics, just wait until I finish the exterior mods, wash her and take some good daytime pics. I'll have the car done in time for the TMS on-line car show for sure... so all of you better vote for me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] Let's just say insurance didn't cover all the mods, and I could sure use some money. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Dave, I completely agree with the u-trim. I still have that in the back of my head... but unfortunately it's on the bottom of my list now. I gotta start saving up for some cams. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] I really like the u-trim though. I think it would look especially killer striped, and would really finish off the Shelby look. Now, as far as the RKSport hood... it didn't come perfect, no. But the finish was actually really good. My body guy did maybe 4 hours of prep work. Not too bad. The problem though was that the hood didn't come completely square. He adjusted the hinges as much as he could and could not get it to sit good with all the gaps just right. He had to shave some off one corner and build up another. All together it costed me an extra $500 or so of work on top of him painting the hood. And there is still one problem with the gap at the front of the hood on the passenger side. In the picture above, it looks a lot worse than it is, but you can see the gap gets bigger towards the front. I have a way to fix that though... just need to get the car home so I can do it. Now that the hood is all done, I can't say enough good things about it. Definitely worth the money IMO. And this is the first one I have seen striped. I think it looks great. You'll be able to see more of how the stripes line up with the scoops when I get better pics up.
Old 3/10/06, 10:57 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Those mirrors look AWESOME, Ian!!!

IMO, the '66 badge looks better back there. Clean. Simple.
Old 3/10/06, 11:43 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks, Jason. I know that particular rear decklid badge is technically supposed to go lower next to the tail lights... but obviously it won't fit there on this car. So, I thought I'd put it up on the ducktail where CDC put their running pony and others have put emblems.

And wait until you see these mirrors in better pics during the day. They look really sleek. They'll also look better once I have my hood pins on since they are chrome too. And once I have my wheels polished and the chrome lips are showing. There is so little chrome on this car, it needs a little more to make the mirrors look just right.
Old 3/10/06, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Boy Ian your car looks awesome [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] . Talk about rising up from pony scap yard after that wreck. With all the ups and downs youve had over the last 7+ months its good to see you finnally have things back going in the right direction. Now show us them daylight pictures to help us keep modding our mustangs. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Ian, she is looking great!!! Those stripes came out perfect and look great with that hood. What width did you go with, 9 inches?? I LOVE those mirrors!! You have got to tell me how you made the delete panels. I am going to have those mirrors black chromed. One last question, who did you buy the mirror's from? Great job Ian, I knew she would turn out great. Natasha has some serious competition in this show... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

BTW: Must see daylight pic's!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 01:51 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks, Jason. I sure have been through a lot the last 7+ months, haven't I? It's been quite a ride. Ready to get off of it and get back in my horse. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Justin, thanks! The stripes really turned out great on this hood. I had my concerns. Plus... I had to make it work with the painted stripes I already had. At least up to the front of the roof. I had the measurements written down that I gave my body shop, and I don't remember them. I know that it's an inch between stripes... and I know that they taper down the hood... I want to guess that they start at around 10.5" and taper down to 9.5" at the front of the hood. Once I get the car back, I will definitely take measurements because I think there will be others who want to get this hood and stripe it (or stripe theirs that they already have) after seeing mine. I'm really surprised I don't see any of these GTR hoods with stripes.

I love the mirrors too. And I think they'd look great black chrome on your stang. I had originally toyed with the idea of getting the "Rotunda" style bullet mirrors that are on Eleanor and came on the '65 and '66 Shelbys. But I wanted to stay true to my '67 tribute so I got these. I got them at Mustangs Unlimited for $40 a piece. They are reproduction pieces, of course... but the quality is excellent. The chrome edges aren't 100% smooth all the way around the mirror. They aren't "show quality"... I'd give them a 9 out of 10. But they also sell original mirrors that look the same and may be better quality for $66 a piece. Do a search on their site for "68 mirror" and you'll find the ones I got. They also sell a remote control drivers side mirror and matching "dummy" passenger side one for $40 a piece too. I opted to keep things simple and got the ones you adjust yourself. The remote one is a bit bulkier.

Now, as far as the mirror-delete panels... that's something I don't want to get into too much here, at the risk of boring everyone. Let's just say I have 6-8 hours in each panel. Not something I'd advise doing yourself, although mine turned out perfect... it just took forever. You'd be surprised what you'll do when your car is in the shop for three months and you are bored senseless. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] If you are interested though in doing it yourself Justin, just PM me. I'd be more than happy to tell you what I did. Just involves a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, a small hacksaw blade, some thin plexiglass, epoxy, sandpaper, paint and a whole lot of time.
Old 3/10/06, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Ian...The stripes do look perfect and I suspect you will get a ton of PM's so have a "standardized spec sheet ready"... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Thanks for the mirror help. I checked the ones out on Mustangs Unlimited and figured that's where you got them, I just wanted to be sure. I can work with metal so I'll probably fab up my own factory mirror panels and paint them flat black to blend in with my tinted windows then have the mirrors polished up and black chromed...Do the new mirrors bolt on from inside the door panel? I'm thinking of bolting the new mirrors to the panel I fab up... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tips Ian! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] NEED DAYLIGHT!!!!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] I can't wait for more pics! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 02:40 PM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vegasjay @ March 10, 2006, 3:17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks Ian...The stripes do look perfect and I suspect you will get a ton of PM's so have a "standardized spec sheet ready"... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Thanks for the mirror help. I checked the ones out on Mustangs Unlimited and figured that's where you got them, I just wanted to be sure. I can work with metal so I'll probably fab up my own factory mirror panels and paint them flat black to blend in with my tinted windows then have the mirrors polished up and black chromed...Do the new mirrors bolt on from inside the door panel? I'm thinking of bolting the new mirrors to the panel I fab up... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

Thanks for the tips Ian! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

If you can work with metal, you'll be fine. I've never worked with metal before, so had to go a different route. As far as how the '67/'68 mirrors mount, unfortunately you have to attach them to the door with two screws... from the outside. Yes, I actually drilled two holes in each door. They are actually made to mount almost 90 degrees vertical. The older stangs had a flat part at the top of the door where the mirrors mounted. The S197 has a flat part too... only bad thing is it's about a 1/4" wide. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img] So, that won't work. You actually have to mount them lower on the door at almost a 45 degree angle. This gives you a lot less adjustment on the mirrors. It's so bad that the passenger side mirror is almost unuseable. The drivers side is perfcet... I can get it to where I just look over and see out of it where I normally would. But, for me to see out of the passenger side mirror, I would basically need to lean over so much that I'm basically in the passenger seat. And there really isn't anything you can do about it... there's just not enough adjustment. The way I see it, that mirror is there for looks. I never use the passenger side mirror anyway. I grew up driving an older car that didn't even have one anyway. I always turn my head and look out the back windshield... of course taking into account there could always be someone in my blindspot that the quarter window scoop now creates. As long as I can use the driver side mirror, I'm good. Now, if you can somehow make the mirror-delete panel with some sort of notch to accept the mirror, that may work. I just don't see how to do it and make it look somewhat factory.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Enfynet @ March 10, 2006, 3:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] NEED DAYLIGHT!!!!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] I can't wait for more pics! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] I'm going to try my best this weekend. I may go pick up the car from Ford today (even though the airbag won't be fixed) and take it home this weekend to do some stuff to it like install the hood pins, etc. If I do, I'll take at least a pic or two during the day.
Old 3/10/06, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

I just found my mirrors...Also from Mustangs Unlimited, the 66 GT 350 Bullet mirrors.
Mustang Unlimited

I'll start work on my "delete panel"/ mirror bracket... Roger (Hippiehead025) may have some competition on his hand's with this one!... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/16.gif[/img]
Old 3/10/06, 03:18 PM
FR500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vegasjay @ March 10, 2006, 3:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just found my mirrors...Also from Mustangs Unlimited, the 66 GT 350 Bullet mirrors.
Mustang Unlimited

[/b][/quote]

Nice! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I really like those mirrors too. I was working with a budget though and those were kinda steep for me. But those will look great. And they may offer a bit more flexibility in adjusting it.
Old 3/10/06, 06:25 PM

Ian, really glad to see your cars almost done. It looks awesome. Those mirrors look great and I love that hood w/ those stripes. I can't wait for some daytime pics. I picked mine up from the shop yesterday, so I'll clean it up and take some pics. Oh, and thanks for the Roush hood scoop!

Quick Reply: My car is almost back!