05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Moss black billet grille installed!

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/07, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moss black billet grille installed!

This is the grille, made by Carriage Works: http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=58656

By using the supplied brackets, the grille will not sit as flush with the bumper as pictured in that link, but rather as deep as the OEM grille. I had to adapt the brackets and change their mounting location, in order to bring it out a bit more. I'm more than happy with the end result and I think it's the best black billet grille on the market so far
Attached Thumbnails Moss black billet grille installed!-picture-047s.jpg   Moss black billet grille installed!-picture-050s.jpg   Moss black billet grille installed!-picture-051s.jpg  
Old 6/28/07, 11:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks great, I love black billet grilles. Thought about adding a pony to the grille?
Old 6/28/07, 11:51 AM
V6 Member

I like the looks of that. No emblem please ...........
Old 6/28/07, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kh765
Thought about adding a pony to the grille?
Nope, no emblem whatsoever. I'm going for a "less is more", blacked-out look.

Here's another pic. If you're wondering about that headlight, here's the story: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=66678 . A replacement is on its way already.
Attached Thumbnails Moss black billet grille installed!-picture-049s.jpg  
Old 6/28/07, 12:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Sounds good to me. It still looks awesome.
Old 6/28/07, 12:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good but sounds JUST like the CDC grill we threw on my buddies car. he actually had wear marks on his bumper from the previous grill where the billett grill came up short.
Old 6/28/07, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is there an option to keep the fog lights behind the grill? I thought in the other thread someone said that mounting brackets came with it.
Old 6/28/07, 12:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice grille, the loss of the lights in the grille is what I can't justify here.
Old 6/28/07, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stoic21
Is there an option to keep the fog lights behind the grill? I thought in the other thread someone said that mounting brackets came with it.
I haven't tried it, but apparently yes.

Originally Posted by ShowGT
Nice grille, the loss of the lights in the grille is what I can't justify here.
Can you tell what's the look I'm going for?
Attached Thumbnails Moss black billet grille installed!-img_0641.jpg  
Old 6/28/07, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stoic21
I want a black billet that retains the stock fogs as they are, not behind the grill...
Old 6/28/07, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Louie
I haven't tried it, but apparently yes.

Can you tell what's the look I'm going for?

Willl you be trying, I really would like to know the opinion on the loss of light, and a pci with the fog lights on and off

Anyway, it looks GREAT, I really like the extra airflow it looks like it gives to your motor over the stock one.
Old 6/28/07, 02:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There's plenty of room, but no provisions to mount the fogs. With the HIDs, you can't even tell if the fogs are on or off anymore.

May want to try for a pic out of direct sunlight in the shade Louie.
Old 6/29/07, 02:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gremlin190
Willl you be trying, I really would like to know the opinion on the loss of light, and a pci with the fog lights on and off

Anyway, it looks GREAT, I really like the extra airflow it looks like it gives to your motor over the stock one.
I wasn't using the fogs anyway, it's illegal to drive with them on here, unless the visibility is less than 160'. After I find a suitable pair of foglamps for the lower grille openings, I will attempt an install. I already know I'll need the SSE wire extentions from their center fogs grille.

Speaking of extra airflow, I noticed the hood fluttering at speeds as low as 65-70 mph this morning. I need to find a solution for this too, something that doesn't involve hood pins. I have adjusted the rubber stops and I also have hood struts, but I need something to hold down the front corners of the hood.
Old 6/29/07, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was concerned about this too and was trying to find if anyone had an uncureable flutter issue with the CDC or other complete grille replacements specifically. Mine is fine now at least to 120mph but I was worred once I open the entire grille up if it has an issue. Someone should make a baffle of some sort to block off the upper 3" of the grille opening. If there was a good how-to on how to get the fang twist-locks installed I would put those in a second though(now THATS something someone needs to do in billet rather then coat hanger hooks). I just don't want traditional pins. I love the ones on the KR concept. I got the grille out of the box today, and after a 30 minute un-wrapping session, its a beautiful piece.
Old 6/29/07, 10:49 AM
GT Member

paint that chin spoiler!!
Old 6/29/07, 01:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
I was concerned about this too and was trying to find if anyone had an uncureable flutter issue with the CDC or other complete grille replacements specifically.
Well, I tried something after remembering having read it in the Service Manual. The hood latch is attached with 2 screws to the cross beam. I loosened them and what do you know, the whole latch slides down by about 1/8"! Apparently Ford thought of this and made the holes in the beam oval for this very purpose. I even took the car on the highway again and there's no shaking or fluttering anymore, even at 120 mph!

I attached the relevant page from the service manual. I didn't have to remove the grille or the front bumper as recommended, I could access the screws through the grille. I doubt however the same can be done with the OEM grille on, but it's very easy to remove it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hood_Latch.pdf (8.4 KB, 288 views)
Old 6/29/07, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

whew! As soon as I have time off I will put 'er on... I ordered the lower black billet insert to match as I am about to put on a chin spoiler and wont be able to easilly remove the pieces under the bumper once its on. It's on backorder though.
Old 7/3/07, 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well here's a couple quickies of mine. I will paint the area behind the grille ultra-flat black and take some more pics with the Cervini GT500 splitter(don't get me started on that thing ) and the matching lower grille. Other then everything behind it being silver, it looks awesome. Got rid of the overbite look. I had slight scuffs from the front of the stock grille that go deep into the clear. I cleaned them up with some velvet cut compound by hand and you can hardly see it, but will have to wetsand and buff it out when I have time. The lower edge of the grille is about 3/16" behind the originals lower flange, and I tried to match the exact angle of the headlight upright trim, so its only recessed about 3/8"(had to use 1/2" spacers on the upper brackets).

Old 7/3/07, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nickpurcell
paint that chin spoiler!!

The only thing I don't like is that you see everything behind it, even the screws you used to mount it. If I do anything like this, I will paint the parts behind it so they are not that visible...
Old 7/3/07, 09:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Silver fins typically 'pull' the depth perception to the outer edge of the grille where black is much more finicky. Plus, someone taking flash pictures of any grille will yield undesirable results...

Quick Reply: Moss black billet grille installed!