05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Mods for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/06, 01:08 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

To be perfectly honest I don't really have any idea why someone would replace the exhaust on a new car. Can someone enlighten me as to why one would go through the hassle. I'm guessing it has something to do with the exhaust note. Assuming that is the main reason, it seems to fly in the face of the fact Ford supposedly tuned the exhaust note to sound extra sweet. Does it increase HP in some way that I am not aware of?

The thing I really like about this particular mod is the look of the new chrome peaking out from underneath the rear bumper. Are there chrome accents that you can bolt on to the end of the stock mufflers (GT) for the same look without the cost (what does it run btw?).

Just curious and sorry if my ignorance offends anyone.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1/25/06, 06:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 reasons for me.

First is obvious. To have a more aggressive sounding exhaust note.
Second - Not a big fan of the stock exhaust tips and they look terrible when you have a body kit installed. The exhaust I have has 4" rolled tips and they fill the rear openings of the bumper a lot better.

You like the fact you can see the muffler but some of us, myself included, do not like the fact you can see the mufflers from behind the car. I guess that is another reason I changed my mufflers.
Old 1/25/06, 07:05 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford did tune the exhaust to sound good, and it does. The only problem is that it is limited to how much noise it can put out> Most of us are purchasing exhaust systems to turn up the volume a little. There are some minor power gains to be made as well (albeit, small)
Old 1/25/06, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I purchased my exhaust because of the increased sound (for being stock, yes, the mustang sounds nice, but aftermarket still sounds WAY better), and for the way it looks. I love the way a side exhaust kit looks, I just put mine on last night!
Old 1/25/06, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Sound.

Looks.

Less Weight.

Because I can.