05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

mettalic vinyl stripes

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/04, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone used metallic vinyl stripes? I read a post where metallic stripes would look good with redfire paint. anyone seen metallic black stripes?

comments?

Sam
Old 12/2/04, 11:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
almost all stripes are metallic, it would look awful if they weren't. I am assuming you meant Reflective stripes. Just so you know refelctive vinyl is really only meant for a flat surface. You wouldn't be able to do bumpers properly.
Old 12/3/04, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well no, not reflective, mettalic. I went to a couple of online graphics places. you can order standard glossy vinyl for stripes (without any hint of metallic in it) or you can order vinyl with mettalic in it. I will try to find a link to the graphics place so you can see what I am talking about.

thanks

Sam
Old 12/3/04, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sweet, another opportunity to show off my Metallic Hi-Fi Blue Shelby Stripes:

One reason you can't use Reflective for stripes is that at night, some of your vehicle will glow bright and some will glow really dim, a combination that looks Bad with a capital B. Never get Basic (aka. flat) color stripes b/c when they fade after a few years, they'll like like poozu unlike metallic stripes -- they fade too, but you can't tell due to the metallic "shimmer" effect.
Old 12/4/04, 01:45 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Also in some states and in Canada Reflective stripes are illegal. Don't ask me why cause I don't know but I do know that if you put reflective writing or stripes on your car in Ontario it is illegal. Makes me wonder why cop cars have reflective stripes on them :scratch:
Old 3/30/05, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was going to go with silver on my sonic blue, just went to the shop thats going to be doing it and they recommended a metallic stripe, anyone have a photo of what the metallic silver looks like on any color? just to get a better idea. I actually told them to go with the metallic pewter which is a little bit darker than the silver but not much. Getting it done next week, the only photos I've seen of a silver appear to be flat silver.
Old 3/30/05, 07:30 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I had metallic silver on my Midnight Atlantic Blue 97 GT which is almost the same colour as sonic blue. It looked very classy. I only went with white this time because I had the silver on blue for 4 years.
Old 3/30/05, 07:30 AM
Retired Tms Staff

If I remember I will post a pick of my 97 GT so you can see what it looks like
Old 3/30/05, 07:32 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by sams66@December 3, 2004, 9:05 AM
Well no, not reflective, mettalic. I went to a couple of online graphics places. you can order standard glossy vinyl for stripes (without any hint of metallic in it) or you can order vinyl with mettalic in it. I will try to find a link to the graphics place so you can see what I am talking about.

thanks

Sam
I know what you are talking about since you said they are not reflective.
Also, glossy vinyl shows scratches very easily and should never be used on a vehicle.
Old 3/30/05, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@March 30, 2005, 8:33 AM
If I remember I will post a pick of my 97 GT so you can see what it looks like
Sounds great, would love to see it
Old 3/30/05, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

My best advice, find a graphics shop and go in and talk to them. You may want to call ahead and set up a time so they aren't too busy to talk to you. We have a great relationship with the shop who is going to be doing my stripes, and I went in one day with a stack of pictures and ideas for my car. We sat down and discussed all the options, and I left with about 15-20 samples of vinyl in all different colors. They told me to lay them on the car in the sunlight and see what we liked best. After all that I decided to go with black, but one that has a metalic in it the same as the satin silver paint. All in all, there are a ton of options out there, so do your homework and research and you'll end up happy with the job.
Old 3/30/05, 09:33 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Or just talk to me
Old 3/30/05, 09:33 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Mine are medium charcoal metallic.
Old 3/30/05, 09:36 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Sam, I forgot to mention, not too many companies actually make metallic black stripes. They are normally called Dark Charcoal Metallic. Personally, I like Bright Silver Metallic or Pearl White on Redfire.
Old 3/30/05, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by azlitigator@March 30, 2005, 10:32 AM
My best advice, find a graphics shop and go in and talk to them. You may want to call ahead and set up a time so they aren't too busy to talk to you. We have a great relationship with the shop who is going to be doing my stripes, and I went in one day with a stack of pictures and ideas for my car. We sat down and discussed all the options, and I left with about 15-20 samples of vinyl in all different colors. They told me to lay them on the car in the sunlight and see what we liked best. After all that I decided to go with black, but one that has a metalic in it the same as the satin silver paint. All in all, there are a ton of options out there, so do your homework and research and you'll end up happy with the job.
Yea I went and spoke with a local shop of a guy who does alot of them, he does alot of the dealers etc around here too.
I told him silver originally then he recommended something a little darker, actually he recommended the gunmetal said it would go good with the rims, but I wanted something a little brighter so told him to order the pewter, almost as bright as the silver but not exactly.
Here is a color sample like the ones he showed me, but he has the actual book not just an online graphic.
Old 3/30/05, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@March 30, 2005, 9:36 AM
Or just talk to me
Oh Great Vinyl Guru, Can you come to Arizona and give me samples??? It's pretty here now, not too hot yet I'll even buy you a Starbucks to sweeten the deal. Then you can hold my hand while my car is being done on Friday! I'm nervous! I don't know why, I have every confidence in the company I'm using. Maybe it's time to get back on the Prozac J/K
Old 3/30/05, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by dekujala@March 30, 2005, 9:51 AM
Yea I went and spoke with a local shop of a guy who does alot of them, he does alot of the dealers etc around here too.
I told him silver originally then he recommended something a little darker, actually he recommended the gunmetal said it would go good with the rims, but I wanted something a little brighter so told him to order the pewter, almost as bright as the silver but not exactly.
Here is a color sample like the ones he showed me, but he has the actual book not just an online graphic.
I think that the Pewter will look very nice on your car. Please post pics after you get it done, I can't wait to see it!
Old 3/30/05, 10:46 AM
V6 Member

I plan on putting metallic stripes on my Redfire GT, and I like the idea of a darker color because it will be a little more subtle (I know - racing stripes and subtle sound strange together). I was originally planning on going with a Slate metallic but now I'm leaning towards the darker Charcoal metallic.

If you don't have a graphics place in the area that you work with you can also do what I did. I went to Graphics Express's website and ordered a few samples. It makes a big difference seeing them in person rather than via the computer. It only cost around $3 and you get three different samples roughly the size of a silver dollar.

In case you're curious about the different colors here's the link to Graphic Express's color selection:

http://www.graphic-express.com/install_vinyl_colors.htm

Let us know what you decide on!

Rob
Old 3/30/05, 11:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Janet, if you are nervous then you'd better not watch them install it. If they are doing the bumpers you don't want to be there when they take a razor blade to your car.
Old 3/30/05, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@March 30, 2005, 11:03 AM
Janet, if you are nervous then you'd better not watch them install it. If they are doing the bumpers you don't want to be there when they take a razor blade to your car.
I know! My hubby says watching the law get made is like watching sausage get made, you really don't want to see it. I am going to add to this by saying you don't want to see stripes getting put on your baby either.

Quick Reply: mettalic vinyl stripes