05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

This is me giving back to the community - A Rim Painting Walkthru!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/09, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is me giving back to the community - A Rim Painting Walkthru!!

First of I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has either read my posts or answered my questions over the past year since I owned my 'Stang...I have a set of Black 20" Shelby Redlines, but with winter coming those won't be going on until springtime. With that being said I need some winter wheels to put on my 6 banger after I upgrade my brakes and rotors to GT size. After some searching I picked up a set of 17" Anthracite takeoff GT Bullitts. I have a Perf. White 'Stang with Black accents. How silly would I look with Anthracite rims?!?!? That led me down the path of painting my own and as you'll see I was pretty happy with the results. Now on to the walkthru...

Here is a list of supplies and prices of what I used:
2 - Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating Black DC HWP105 - $12
2 - Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Coating Clear DC HWP103 - $12
1 - Black Sandable Primer - $5
1 - Grey Primer Sealer - $5
1 - Roll of painting tape - $5
1 - Pk Index Cards - $1
1 - Bottle Simple Green - $7
1 - Pk Tack Cloth - $4
1 - Medium/large respirator (5pk) - $5
1 - pk safety glasses - $1
1 - Duplicolor Tack Cloth

I'm not saying this is the best way to do this...all I'm saying is this is what worked for me. Keep in mind my wheels were already painted. I looked at several videos and the like doing my research, but I figured I'd post what worked for me and my results.

Step 1(I would say remove the wheels, but I think that step is understood. Make sure you also remove the center cap)
Wash the Rims and tires well. I would also use a degreaser to make sure you get as much as possible off. I used Simple Green, if you prefer to substitute feel free.

Step 2
After allowing the wheels to dry begin taping off any parts that you do not want to paint.

I painted mine outside laying on a clear trash bag, feel free to improvise your drop cloth of choice.

Step 3
Lay the rim face down on your drop cloth. Take the index cards and line them along the edge of the rim using the space between the rim & tire to stand up the index cards. Be sure that they are overlapping by an inch or two.

Step 4
Apply 2 medium to light coats of Primer. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats. I didn't take any pics of this step because I didn't think of doing a walkthru(Sorry!)

Step 5
After waiting 10 minutes for the Primer to dry apply 2 medium to light coats of Primer Sealer. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats.

Step 6
After waiting 1 hour for primer sealer to dry apply 2 light to medium coats of Duplicolor Wheel Paint. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats. Remove the index cards.

Step 7
After waiting 1 hour flip the wheel over to begin working on the face of the rim. Take the index cards and line them along the edge of the rim using the space between the rim & tire to stand up the index cards. Be sure that they are overlapping by an inch or two.

Step 8
Apply 2 medium to light coats of Primer to face of rim. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats.

Step 9
Apply 2 medium to light coats of Primer Sealer to face of rim. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats.

Step 10
Apply 1 light coat of Duplicolor wheel paint. Allow 10 minutes drying time. (Optional Step - Remove index cards and stand wheel up on it's side, touch up rear of wheel and ensure any primer overspray has been covered up. Wait 15 minutes before laying rim back down face up). Apply 2 medium coats of Duplicolor Wheel paint. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats.

Step 11
After waiting 1 hour for paint to dry apply 4 light to medium coats of Clear Duplicolor Wheel paint. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats.

Step 12 (Optional - Painting Center Caps)
While waiting for clear coat to dry remove the Ford sticker from the center of the cap and place to the side. Lay center caps face down and apply 1 light coat of Dulpicolor Wheel paint. After allowing 10 minutes drying time flip the caps over and apply 1 light coat of wheel paint to the front and sides. After 10 minutes apply a very light clear coat to the front and sides of center cap. I did this at night, so I didn't take pics. The next day I place a thin line of super glue down the middle of the center cap and reattached the Ford stickers.

Step 13
After allowing 2 hours drying time I moved the wheels back into the house for overnight storage. After 24 hours carefully remove the tape from the wheel(if used).

It's been overcast pretty much everyday since I painted them, so the pics don't do them justice. They're not bad for only spending a little over $60). I'll try to post better pics later. I received my caliper brackets in the mail today(THANKS x96283!!), but due to a screw up at f-UPS I won't be receiving my White G2 caliper paint until Monday. I'll be installing a set of GT Sized black zinc coated dimpled and slotted rotors from Rotorpros and a set of Hawk Pads along with these rims this Monday after I paint the calipers white. I'll definitely be posting after that. I hope this helps some of you out. Please feel free to ask questions and I'll help out if I can. Thanks again TMS!!

P.S. - Here's a shot of the rotors close up...

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10/31/09 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10/30/09, 08:12 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Great job! Wheels look great!
Old 10/30/09, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Great job! Wheels look great!
Thanks. i just hope they're as durable as the are glossy! If they are I'll be a very happy camper.
Old 10/30/09, 08:27 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Yeah. Those wheels really do look great.
Old 10/30/09, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
THAT is an Excellent write up... and the pic of the 'done' wheel on the patio? Overcast or not, daaaaang... that's pretty!

Kinda want to see them on a good sunny day, close up and the whole car though, but still, lookin' good!

Not to hijack, but I did have one question... Would it not be beneficial to lightly sand the 'old' paint on the wheels to help the primer stick to it? I've heard rumors, but you know rumors...

Last edited by houtex; 10/30/09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10/30/09, 08:33 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. To answer your question when I was looking for tips and a howto I read that if they are already painted then you don't have to sand. BUT...I sanded one of the wheels I did. I didn't see a difference, so I left that out. We'll see if it made any difference....I don't really believe it does.
Old 10/30/09, 09:00 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're not going to sand, I'd use a self etching primer.

Those wheels look great and MUCH better than the vast majority of DIY jobs I've seen. Nice work.
Old 10/30/09, 09:29 PM
GT Member

It was my first time attempting anything like this. Based on the way it turned out it gave me a little boost in confidence for tackling my caliper bracket upgrade, brake pad & rotor install I had planned for this weekend. I'm impressed with the quality of the paint. I looked at a lot of DIY walkthrus and the like and was kind of nervous, but that wore off as I progressed. Thanks again for the kind words guys.

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10/31/09 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10/31/09, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Sticky.
Old 10/31/09, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Well deserved one at that.
Old 10/31/09, 08:27 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks great - what did you use to preserve the chrome lip? I don't see that in your write up but can see it is still there on the finished shot.
Old 10/31/09, 08:29 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the sticky vote guys. If anyone uses this walkthru please post your results. It may give others the courage. As long as you take your time and prep properly you'll have good results. This was my first time using a rattle can to do anything. The only other thing I painted was my bedroom when I was a kid. Don't be scared guys....it's a great way to dress up those winter wheels before the snow hits!
Old 10/31/09, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Looks great - what did you use to preserve the chrome lip? I don't see that in your write up but can see it is still there on the finished shot.
I just taped it off with multipurpose painting tape from Autozone. If you look in the first pic you can see three taped and one not taped. I sent my fiance to the store get automovtive painting tape and she came back with this. It worked great. It sticks to what you tape it to and doesn't leave behind a sticky residue when you peel it off. As with any paint job remember to peel off tape slowly.

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10/31/09 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10/31/09, 10:50 AM
GT Member

sorry for the double post

Last edited by Topless Stang; 10/31/09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10/31/09, 05:19 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great man!

any shots of em on the car? My bullitts need repainting... maybe DHG....

Old 10/31/09, 06:41 PM
GT Member

Not yet, my caliper paint was supposed to be here friday...but f-UPS rescheduled for Monday. I'm putting everything on then.
Old 11/3/09, 07:29 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
looks great

only other suggestion would be any time painting over paint: I would always (just from habit) scotchbrite the surface to give the paint more 'bite', and get a little commercial 'wax and grease remover' from the paint shop for a final wipedown...both can help prevent 'fisheyes' from old wax/polish/oil residues and help insure against peeling.

Ive never painted over powdercoat before, so dont really know what might be better for paint adhesion, but have thought about it a lot...ever seen the Tasca SuperBoss429 in color pictures? was a kinda gold/orange/red candy color for lack of better description, with orange lettering/stripes/trim- and orange centers in the torq-thrust-d wheels, and it really tied it all together...still thinking of deep dish bullitt wheels for mine with Vista Blue centers someday possibly
Old 11/4/09, 07:38 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JimC
Originally Posted by Topless Stang
I just taped it off with multipurpose painting tape from Autozone. If you look in the first pic you can see three taped and one not taped. I sent my fiance to the store get automovtive painting tape and she came back with this. It worked great. It sticks to what you tape it to and doesn't leave behind a sticky residue when you peel it off. As with any paint job remember to peel off tape slowly.
thanks, I see it now. I missed it at first.
Old 11/7/09, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I would have done different is use an adhesion promoter before the primer step. very good write up! congrats.
Old 8/3/10, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good job! I may do this to my winter wheels.

Quick Reply: This is me giving back to the community - A Rim Painting Walkthru!!