05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Matrix Paint system?

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/11, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matrix Paint system?

Hey guys, I have an unpainted Cervini's C-500 series front bumper and I found a guy that can do $150. He told me that he uses matrix paint stuff - does anybody know if this paint material is good or is there a better brand for our performance white mustangs? LMK.

He's doing the paint in his garage... I wonder if I should take it to a shop but they'd cost more, wouldn't they?
Old 5/8/11, 03:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TheSmokedLights
Hey guys, I have an unpainted Cervini's C-500 series front bumper and I found a guy that can do $150. He told me that he uses matrix paint stuff - does anybody know if this paint material is good or is there a better brand for our performance white mustangs? LMK.

He's doing the paint in his garage... I wonder if I should take it to a shop but they'd cost more, wouldn't they?

A shop would cost a considerable amount more, but do you want it done the right way? Pay more now instead of paying the shop to fix this guys mistakes. You always get what you pay for, $150 to do a job anyone else would charge you $400-$500 to do says it all.
Old 5/8/11, 04:29 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe Matrix is just another brand of paint, like PPG, Dupont, etc. It's not a special 'system' as far as I know, rather just part of the Matrix System name. It's more affordable than the big names, but not inferior from what I've heard... just a more affordable, quality paint. Consider it a Ruger vs a Smith & Wesson revolver (even though I personally prefer Rugers.)

As far as the garage - you need to see his work. A friend of mine did custom motorcycle painting in his garage, and was a auto body painter for a local shop. The biggest issue is going to be dirt in the paint, but that can be managed especially on smaller parts. The buddy of mine did trophy-winning custom motorcycle paint in his garage, everything from base color, to flames, to airbrused skulls, and obviously the work was top notch. That said, the wrong guy in the wrong garage can do horrible work just as taking it to a bodyshop doesn't guarantee good work.

Bottom line - you need to see his work before making this decision.
Old 5/9/11, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
A shop would cost a considerable amount more, but do you want it done the right way? Pay more now instead of paying the shop to fix this guys mistakes. You always get what you pay for, $150 to do a job anyone else would charge you $400-$500 to do says it all.
I want it done right and that's why I'm leaning towards on shop now. I'll have to shop around and find a good deal along with a warranty that will protect my bumper.

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I believe Matrix is just another brand of paint, like PPG, Dupont, etc. It's not a special 'system' as far as I know, rather just part of the Matrix System name. It's more affordable than the big names, but not inferior from what I've heard... just a more affordable, quality paint. Consider it a Ruger vs a Smith & Wesson revolver (even though I personally prefer Rugers.)

As far as the garage - you need to see his work. A friend of mine did custom motorcycle painting in his garage, and was a auto body painter for a local shop. The biggest issue is going to be dirt in the paint, but that can be managed especially on smaller parts. The buddy of mine did trophy-winning custom motorcycle paint in his garage, everything from base color, to flames, to airbrused skulls, and obviously the work was top notch. That said, the wrong guy in the wrong garage can do horrible work just as taking it to a bodyshop doesn't guarantee good work.

Bottom line - you need to see his work before making this decision.
He did send me a picture of it and it looks good - but I have not seen it in person. I'm pretty sure your friend is more talented than this garage guy. You may ask how I know? He did not say and prove anything about his work and his trophy-winning paint jobs. As stated above, I'm leaning towards the shop on this one - gotta have it done right in the first place.
Old 5/10/11, 06:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you "lean" toward toward the "paint it at home" guy. remind him of these 3 words: Adhesive, Flex, and Hardener.
Old 5/13/11, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
if you "lean" toward toward the "paint it at home" guy. remind him of these 3 words: Adhesive, Flex, and Hardener.
Definitely. The only downside about his paint is the warranty I believe. I don't think he keeps track with the warranty situation so that's why I'm leaning towards the shop more than this guy.