05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Matching center caps on American Muscle and factory Bullit wheels

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/07, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matching center caps on American Muscle and factory Bullit wheels

Has anyone figured out how to match up the center caps when running the factory bullits on the front (which use the small caps) while running the American Muscle bullits on the rear (which use the large caps)? The tires I have on the front wheels are almost new and I don't see any reason to change the front wheels just to run wider tires out back. Well, other than being able to get the stupid center caps to match. I understand I'm not the first person to run into this. Any ideas?
Old 8/5/07, 12:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get a running pony caps for the stock Bullit wheels and also get a pair for the American Muscle wheels. One cap fits on the outside (front) and other will fit on the inside (rear).
Old 8/5/07, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

It looks like the Ford one has a silver ring around the outside, but they're close

Old 8/5/07, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

the stock bullitts match the bullitts from american muscle? I was told one is darker then the other.
Old 8/6/07, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Yellow05
the stock bullitts match the bullitts from american muscle? I was told one is darker then the other.
I had my factory wheels powder coated semi-gloss black, so I'll do the same with the new wheels.
Old 8/6/07, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will sell you the complete set of these spinners from BRS. They chrome are metal swept spinners with pony center caps. I have the 2 damaged center caps being replaced, they should be here next week. I let the whole lot go for $120 shipped.

-danny
Old 8/6/07, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I modified the crappy center caps that came with my American Muscle /Mustang Performance 18x10 back wheels to match my stock fronts. I bought an extra pair of Ford center caps, cut the plastic tangs off and sanded the backs flat with sandpaper on my kitchen table. I roughed up and sanded the plexiglass face of the larger caps and simply two-part-epoxied the ford caps on top, leaving a little space.

It's not like the Ford caps are anything special, but I like them and wanted the rears to match. Since the Ford caps sit on the face of the stock wheels, it was easy to match on the aftermarket wheels.

They match perfectly, and it's been several thousand miles [and a few 1/4 mile runs] and they are fine... A guy asked me at the track where I got them...

There's an older thread about this too...

Mike E
Old 8/7/07, 06:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Mike, I remember that thread. Glad to hear your idea worked! Looks like that's what I'll be doing. Thanks for the post. Btw, I like the way the stock caps match my satin silver. I think they look good too.
Old 8/7/07, 08:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh, I was going to say couldn't you just make the stock ones flush and glue them
Old 8/7/07, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Heh, I was going to say couldn't you just make the stock ones flush and glue them
The diameter isn't the same and you'd ruin the edge of the [high quality, yeah right] plastic finish. And there's no need: They sit perfectly on the plexiglass face and it looks right. Personally, I think the flush look isn't as nice anyway, but that's just personal preference.

One of my co-workers has a yellow Force Five Cobra replica with the flush caps [same company's wheels], and though the car is flawless, it bugs me to look at them... LOL Who else even notices?

Mike E
Old 8/7/07, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Keystone
Hey Mike, I remember that thread. Glad to hear your idea worked! Looks like that's what I'll be doing. Thanks for the post. Btw, I like the way the stock caps match my satin silver. I think they look good too.
Yep, I finally got around to doing it, and it came out perfectly. And being the single guy lets me use my kitchen table for various car things for days at a time... I just bought some fresh sandpaper, laid it on the table and sanded away to my heart's content until the fit looked right. I picked up the epoxy at Lowes, and made up a good sized batch [coated the whole face of the plexi] and pushed it together. Easy. LOL

Mike E
Old 8/7/07, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let's see what the finished product looks like.