05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Magnum 500 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/05, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have spoken to two different manufacters. Both have given me the same answer. I told them what I know regarding the backspacing and offset of the stock wheels. Backspacing is 6.2" and offset is 45mm. I calculated this at a web site I found while searching Brad's site.

www.bigcustomwheels.com

If I would like the 17x8 wheel they can only go up to 5 3/4 backspacing. Both sales people told me that would push my wheel/tire combo out only by a half inch. If I wanted to go w/ a wider wheel/tires combo in the back, say 17x9.5 then I would need to check to see if I have extra room then call them back. They can make the backspacing close to 7" to fit there (give or take). Both companies stated the front brakes may or may not be a problem w/ fitment. These companies make the retro look Magnum 500 wheels that a few '03-04 Mach owners and Classic Design Concepts have on their Mach 1 car.

I would like to know is any of this information correct? I know these wheels will fit but will they look correct. I am having a hard time seeing the wheels stick out by a 1/2". To me that does not really seem like a lot. If anyone can offer assistance it would be very helpful. I know this is another wheel question but spending this amt of money is a concern if I do not get it right. I would rather retain the stock wheels then spend $1700 on wheels and they do not look right.
Old 5/13/05, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

creedod...recently I bought the american racing torq thrust II 17x8 in the chrome version,I ordered it a month ago but I got bad news...american racing said that theese wheels don't fit on 2005 mustang (17x8)because of the spokes)..only 18x8 fits .so it was too late cause it was custom made..so I removed 1/4 of an inch from my front caliper and luckily they fits my backspacing was 5 3/4 (32mm offset)a little finger more than the stock wheels..Iput 255/50r17 bf goodrich g-force kdws and my wheels don't exceed the side...it's even...for me it's the limit...I will show you some pictures from my car from every angle the next week..I hope that it will help you
Old 5/14/05, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by frank@May 13, 2005, 10:22 AM
creedod...recently I bought the american racing torq thrust II 17x8 in the chrome version,I ordered it a month ago but I got bad news...american racing said that theese wheels don't fit on 2005 mustang (17x8)because of the spokes)..only 18x8 fits .so it was too late cause it was custom made..so I removed 1/4 of an inch from my front caliper and luckily they fits my backspacing was 5 3/4 (32mm offset)a little finger more than the stock wheels..Iput 255/50r17 bf goodrich g-force kdws and my wheels don't exceed the side...it's even...for me it's the limit...I will show you some pictures from my car from every angle the next week..I hope that it will help you
Thanks Frank. I just caught your post w/ the pictures you took. Your car looks great!!! Very nice classic look and they go w/ your color perfectly! In your pictures the tires look to stick out more than the wheels. The wheels look to be in line w/ the car.
Old 5/14/05, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by frank@May 13, 2005, 10:22 AM
...so I removed 1/4 of an inch from my front caliper...
How did you go about doing this??? Could you provide some instructions, please?

Thank you
Cree
Old 5/16/05, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

No one else willing and able to help w/ some info?