05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Mach 1 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/06, 12:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach 1 Conversion - Need some opinions!

I wanted to get some more opinions on the start of my "Mach 1 Conversion" project. I attached some thumbnails, but there are a total of 32 pictures located HERE.

I bought the 18" Black Bullitts before I knew I was heading in the Mach 1 direction, so I have been thinking about selling those rims and going with these: (anybody want to buy some brand new 18" black bullitts? )

(but I would still use the Pony center caps)

So far, I added the CDC Shaker Kit and the CDC Classic Chin Spoiler. Also, I found a new "take-off" black rear spoiler on eBay for really cheap.

In the near future, I'm adding the Mach 1 hood stripes from Graphic-Express found in this LINK. Also, I will probably add the rocker stripes found HERE, but I don't want it to say "Mach 1" since it really isn't a Mach 1. Also, I'm not sure about the horse.

Anyway, please let me know what you think... good or bad. Or any other ideas that you think maybe I should do next. (Still have to get my dang windows tinted!)

Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails Mach 1 Conversion-dscn3625.jpg   Mach 1 Conversion-dscn3622.jpg   Mach 1 Conversion-dscn3613.jpg   Mach 1 Conversion-dscn3614.jpg  
Old 7/5/06, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Looking good. The new cervini hood and grille ext. would really complete the look IMO.
Old 7/5/06, 12:53 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks great!
How much are you thinking about asking for the wheels? (I assume they're the ones made by WheelReplicas)
Old 7/5/06, 01:21 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
Looks great!
How much are you thinking about asking for the wheels? (I assume they're the ones made by WheelReplicas)
Thanks! I don't know what to do about the rims. They are made by the same company that makes the Mach 1 rims shown above (AFS)... I can't find an auction with just the rims, but they are shown here:

The quality was excellent. The Mach 1 rims would cost me as much as the Black Bullitts ($684 including shipping). I would have to order them first so I could have Discount Tire swap the tires over (which will cost me approximately $44 unless I can get them to do it for free).

If I got $475 + shipping for the rims, it would cost me an extra $253 just for my mess-up. I guess I could live with that, but that's if I get that much for the rims. So I'm in a pickle...
Old 7/5/06, 02:05 PM

Looking good. The new cervini hood and grille ext. would really complete the look IMO.
-Cowtown
I fail to see where a Cervinis hood extension (or hood) would add to the desired Mach 1 appearance also.
Old 7/5/06, 02:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by uberPony
-Cowtown
I fail to see where a Cervinis hood extension (or hood) would add to the desired Mach 1 appearance also.
I agree, but I guess I did ask for everybody's opinions. Even if you dislike my car, tell me! I'll take all the opinions for what they're worth and maybe I'll learn something I didn't know before.

I definitely won't be changing the hood, though, after all the trouble I went through making sure that that hole was exactly centered! Actually, it wasn't that much trouble, but we (my dad and I) did a lot of double and triple checking before I made the cut!
Old 7/5/06, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Tom,

The AFS Mach wheels should look great on your car. I noticed that the hood stripes you want to use are designed for the '04 style hood. Make sure you ask the folks at Graphic Express if that kit will fit the '05 hood before you order. The '05 hood has a slight crown to it and we had to cut a slit in the center of the wide section of the vinyl to prevent it from bunching up at the front edge.

Best of luck with your project!
Old 7/5/06, 03:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by rickoshay
I noticed that the hood stripes you want to use are designed for the '04 style hood. Make sure you ask the folks at Graphic Express if that kit will fit the '05 hood before you order. The '05 hood has a slight crown to it and we had to cut a slit in the center of the wide section of the vinyl to prevent it from bunching up at the front edge.
Whoops! Already ordered! I figured on having to do some modifying. The 03/04 shakers sit closer to the windshield, so I'm sure I'll have to shorten the stripe somewhat. Do you have any close-up shots of the front of your hood? Is the slit noticeable or does it overlap? I don't plan on going to the edge of the hood... only to just before it makes the sharp curve downward. Maybe to about here:

Attachment 4109
Attached Thumbnails Mach 1 Conversion-dscn3609b.jpg  
Old 7/5/06, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Use a plain black stripe, unless you want something else in the rocker stripe.

Is the car going to stay white?

Also, you might want to add some rear window louvers. They add a good retro mix to the car. I was thinking something like Packman's GT.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49577
Old 7/5/06, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Your car is looking great, I vote for the mach 1 wheels. Better yet I would put a set of Magnum 500 Billet Aluminum wheels from Newstaliga Wheel.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/listp....asp?cat=10115
Attached Images  
Old 7/5/06, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
Also, you might want to add some rear window louvers. They add a good retro mix to the car. I was thinking something like Packman's GT.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49577
Hmm they make rear louvers for a Vert ?
Old 7/5/06, 05:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

OOPS I overlooked the fact that its a vert. Sorry.

How about a chrome grille
Old 7/5/06, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BeBeep
Your car is looking great, I vote for the mach 1 wheels. Better yet I would put a set of Magnum 500 Billet Aluminum wheels from Newstaliga Wheel.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/listp....asp?cat=10115
Great looking wheels, but their so called "custom" backspacing isn't enough for the '05... if I'm reading their description correctly.
Old 7/5/06, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

This would look good on your Mach 1 conversion...

Old 7/5/06, 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

The slit is about 15 inches long from the leading edge of the decal and overlaps to a maximum of 1/4". It's only noticable when scrutinized from close range, though. My stripe also ends at the "downturn". Here's a closer look...
Attached Images  
Old 7/5/06, 08:33 PM
GTR Member

You're right... can't tell at all in that pic. *Wondering if I'll have the same problem with mine*

Think I should put the upper stripe on, too? (between the scoop and windshield) Click Here

Just wondering if it will be "too small"... your part looks good in that area that runs around the scoop, though!
Old 7/6/06, 07:23 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by rickoshay
The slit is about 15 inches long from the leading edge of the decal and overlaps to a maximum of 1/4". It's only noticable when scrutinized from close range, though. My stripe also ends at the "downturn". Here's a closer look...
That looks sweeeeet! I was wanting to do that eventually, but I decided to add a blower instead. Not sure how to mod the scoop to fit on top of the new intake.

I have the AFS 18x9 Mach 1's and love them. They weren't my first choice but now I really like them. I get quite a few comments on them too.
Old 7/6/06, 10:22 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by osu_p51
AFS Mach 1's, g-force kdw 255/45/18 front 285/40/18 rear
Any closer shots of the Mach 1 rims on the car, or rear shots of those 285's in the rear?
Old 7/6/06, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would be interested in buying your black bullitts if they were deep dish.
Old 7/6/06, 01:49 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Shea
I would be interested in buying your black bullitts if they were deep dish.
Unfortunately, they are not DD. I didn't go with DD rims because they look like they stick out too far in the pictures I've seen (in my opinion).

Quick Reply: Mach 1 Conversion