05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Which louvers should I get? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/05, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK I am confused about which louvers I should buy? The Roush louvers look nice but I worry about the screws I DO NOT want to drill any holes, though it doesn't say you have to I am just worried about damaging the paint where the brackets go. The MRT louvers are also nice and say that they are easy to lift off so you can clean the window but I am unsure of the stability of them. I don't know if any one has put louvers on their mustang yet but if you have or have knowledge of the quality and pro's and cons of each I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 10/22/05, 11:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Roush louvers on my car. I painted them and installed them my self. You DO NOT need to drill any holes. It comes with brackets which uses double sided tape. The bracket get taped to the body and the louvers bolt to those brackets. It took me 30 minutes to install the brackets. It is very easy. Just follow the directions. Then it only take 2 minutes to remove the louvers to clean behind them. They also look great.
Old 10/22/05, 12:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't have louvers but if I did, I just like the looks of the MRT louvers better than Roush's- but that's just me
Old 10/22/05, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks guys, I just need to know Tony, you said double sided tape that means it won't scratch the paint right? Also how do you like the CAI? and what brand did you use? OK off topic if anyone else know about these louvers let me know.
Old 10/22/05, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I also have the Roush louvers. I love them! The look that is. I am not confident they are installed well and will have it looked at when I get my Roush front fascia put on... Mine seem to be "sloppy". Meaning, they dont fit perfectly flush against the car. Real close but not tight. And I have heard them moving, when driving at high speeds, sorta vibrating against the car. Again, I am not sure mine are installed right. Should have done it myself! Hard to find good help anymore... I have seen other Roush louvers that do fit flush and nice tight fit. So, be sure to follow the well drawn out instructions Roush provides, templates and all, and I am sure it would mount perfectly.

See mine here:
http://chickenchaps.myphotoalbum.com/view_...&id=LouverClose
Hit NEXT to see more pictures if you wish.
Old 10/22/05, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Many, many members on these boards have both the Roush and the MRT louvres. I have the MRTs (there's a link to some pictures in my sig). Do a search - you'll find all the info about each louvre you could possibly dream of, I promise. Quick summary: both are nice, I'd venture to say 85% of folks on these boards prefer the look of MRTs over the Roushes. The major problem with the roush louvre is that you can see the screws on the outside - like the Roushes, the MRTs bolt to brackets which are stuck with double-stick tape to the windows (not the body) of the car. However, the MRTs screws are hidden behind the vents. No security problems with either model.
Old 10/22/05, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

anyone have pics of the mrt window bracket?
Old 10/22/05, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just brought my MRT's home from the shop. I will be putting them on tomorrow Mine didn't come with brackets though, just the tape along the edges
Old 10/22/05, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have the MRT and love them! It all comes down to a personal choice on which you like better. I chose the MRT just cause they looked better to me.

Regardless of the choice that you make, I just want to say that it is worth painting the inside of the louvers a flat black.
Old 10/23/05, 01:53 AM
Cobra Member

Both MRT and Roush have their pros and cons. I recently installed the SSE Generation II louvers and I'm very happy with them. They are affixed directly to the glass using 1/2" 3M double-faced tape. I guess keeping the window clean is sort of important, but really, you don't get THAT much use of it once you install ANY kind of louver anyway! Check out the other pix in my thread, "SSE Generation II Louvers - INSTALLED!"

A close second favorite was the SSinserts louvers, which totally envelope the c-pillar windows, but still retain the shape of the factory glass. The best of both worlds!
Old 10/24/05, 09:48 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by vistablue mustang@October 22, 2005, 1:07 PM
Thanks guys, I just need to know Tony, you said double sided tape that means it won't scratch the paint right? Also how do you like the CAI? and what brand did you use? OK off topic if anyone else know about these louvers let me know.
The tape is thick enough to keep the brackets off the body.(not touching) They are also powder coated black so they look really nice.
Old 10/26/05, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for your opinions and especially your pics! I decided on the Roush louvers, now the laborious process of finding someone to paint them for me and properly! Thanks again. I will add if anyone else has pics of their stang with louvers I would love to see them.
Old 10/26/05, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

Glad I could be of service, one way or the other. It's always wise to shop before buying! Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll love them. Louvers really set a car apart.
Old 10/26/05, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

So from reading this thread I have come to understand that the MRT louvers may or may not come with mounting brackets.

The Roush louvers come off in order to clean the windows, but are a pain to mount properly.

But can some one tell me

1.) do the MRT louvers (that don't come w/ mounting bracket) tape directly to the paint on the body or the window itself?

and

2.) for those louvers that mount to brackets. is there some kind of protection, rubber seal or anything, that will protect the outer edges of the louver from vibrating and consequently ruining the paint where the louver overlaps the 1/4 window?
Old 10/27/05, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I say go for the MRTs
Old 10/27/05, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

1.) do the MRT louvers (that don't come w/ mounting bracket) tape directly to the paint on the body or the window itself?
They go on the paint...
Old 10/27/05, 06:37 PM
GT Member

On my roush I find the fact that you can unscrew them to take off to clean the window. The windows sart to look grungy looking after a while.With taped on ones I think that woulkd be harder to do.
Old 10/27/05, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by toolttime@October 27, 2005, 6:40 PM
On my roush I find the fact that you can unscrew them to take off to clean the window. The windows sart to look grungy looking after a while.With taped on ones I think that woulkd be harder to do.
That just might be the deciding factor!
Old 10/31/05, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a pic of my MRT's...I finally put them on...darn rain !!
Old 10/31/05, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@October 23, 2005, 3:56 AM
Both MRT and Roush have their pros and cons. I recently installed the SSE Generation II louvers and I'm very happy with them. They are affixed directly to the glass using 1/2" 3M double-faced tape. I guess keeping the window clean is sort of important, but really, you don't get THAT much use of it once you install ANY kind of louver anyway! Check out the other pix in my thread, "SSE Generation II Louvers - INSTALLED!"

A close second favorite was the SSinserts louvers, which totally envelope the c-pillar windows, but still retain the shape of the factory glass. The best of both worlds!
I think I saw these on a 05 the other day.
For all who don't want anything touching the paint, these louvers are the best. I seen them in person on a Sonic Blue the other day they do not touch anything but the glass. Am I right?

Quick Reply: Which louvers should I get? Need advice