The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Exterior Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f691/)
-   -   Louver replacement for quarter window glass (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f691/louver-replacement-quarter-window-glass-426702/)

06tungstenstang 7/13/06 07:06 PM

hmmm.....i might need to head up to orlando this weekend.probably a good trip from miami though.

ford4v429 7/13/06 09:06 PM

any ideas as to balpark price range/availability date?

silverado 7/14/06 12:04 PM

These louvers sound nice. Did I hear you are designing tail light bezels? Id like to see them also. You better hurry up with them pics:fam24: :bat:

SilverHorse-----Racing 7/14/06 07:01 PM

Price range - competitively priced with the stick-on stuff that is currently available, yet obviously not just another one of the same....

Availability - We are targeting early fall release if all goes well. This is where it gets out of my hands and is in the mold shop's court, and there is a lot that has to happen in that timeframe. Our experience with the honeycomb panel will help smooth out the bumps this time through, but it still is a difficult process to get completed parts that are ready to ship. they are saying 8-12 weeks, but I kind of lean towards 12+ so I'm not turning blue from holding my breath.

As always, they will be worth the wait. If not, why make them in the first place? :)

I have to work on some stuff tonight and will be with the guys in Orlando tomorrow, but maybe Sunday I'll get some time to pick out a shot or two of the prototype in a quarter panel that I can post as "teaser" shots.

ford4v429 7/15/06 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
I have to work on some stuff tonight and will be with the guys in Orlando tomorrow, but maybe Sunday I'll get some time to pick out a shot or two of the prototype in a quarter panel that I can post as "teaser" shots.

dying to see them :) 2 local guys have roush, and summit racings right down the road- its been kinda hard not just to go get them, but I really dont care to stick something on if theres a better way...cant wait to see these!

ps- if these look half as good as I think they will, have you considered approaching Ford with them? if oem option, I think it could work out very well for both of you. I'm kinda suprised still that ford has not picked up on market for good rear slats/quarter louvers/shaker scoops...opportunity is knockin but fords not hearing it somehow...

JST4FN 7/15/06 10:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Is the rear quarter on this car what we are looking at making? I've had this picture for a long time and I love the louvers on it.

TexaStang 7/15/06 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JST4FN
Is the rear quarter on this car what we are looking at making? I've had this picture for a long time and I love the louvers on it.

I hope so.

ford4v429 7/15/06 12:30 PM

I wish...but I think with the rounded corners its going to be quite a bit different...cant wait to see a pic :)

MTAS 7/15/06 05:10 PM

Guys, while I can not and will not give away any information about how the piece looks or will fit, I think Marcello would allow me to say this: It will be worth the wait - you guys will be seriously impressed when you see it. I got to see the prototype today at Race Rock in Orlando. No pics of course, and we all had to huddle around it to keep spying eyes from seeing it ;)

Radman 7/15/06 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MTAS
Guys, while I can not and will not give away any information about how the piece looks or will fit, I think Marcello would allow me to say this: It will be worth the wait - you guys will be seriously impressed when you see it. I got to see the prototype today at Race Rock in Orlando. No pics of course, and we all had to huddle around it to keep spying eyes from seeing it ;)

Not fair and it isn't nice to tease.......

:banana: :banana: Glad to hear it!!!!!:banana: :banana:

SilverHorse-----Racing 7/16/06 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JST4FN

Hmm... looks like a photoshop to me - the rear corner is so tight a triangle that you would have to really mess up the sheetmetal to make the part like that.

MTAS, thanks! I appreciate the "confidentiality" on the quarter windows. FWIW, I'm working on a teaser right now that looks good without giving away too much - hard to do, to say the least, since the part really wants to be photographed.

SilverHorse-----Racing 7/16/06 08:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Actual prototype in a factory quarter panel.

Next trick will be removing the glass on our car and fitting this to an assembled car, just like our customers would have to do.

There is a bit of photoshopping in this image to hide some details, but you are seeing quite a bit in this photo.

Enjoy and discuss....

US Patent Pending design

JST4FN 7/16/06 08:59 AM

Hmm... looks like a photoshop to me - the rear corner is so tight a triangle that you would have to really mess up the sheetmetal to make the part like that.

MTAS, thanks! I appreciate the "confidentiality" on the quarter windows. FWIW, I'm working on a teaser right now that looks good without giving away too much - hard to do, to say the least, since the part really wants to be photographed.

I'm pretty sure that photo was a photoshop, but it caught my eye and I liked the overall looks of it. I just looked at your peice and I think that will work just fine !! I'll have to add this to my list of things to do :-D

Thanks Mike

SilverHorse-----Racing 7/16/06 09:41 AM

Just in case anyone's interested in our other piece that is going to start appearing on the shelf in the next week or so... :)

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...311#post699311

Radman 7/16/06 10:46 AM

Actual prototype in a factory quarter panel.

Next trick will be removing the glass on our car and fitting this to an assembled car, just like our customers would have to do.

There is a bit of photoshopping in this image to hide some details, but you are seeing quite a bit in this photo.

Enjoy and discuss....

Don't know about anyone else but that looks exactly like I was hoping for!

ford4v429 7/16/06 05:03 PM

looks VERY good- I was really wondering how the rounded outer profile would compare to the look of roush/others- but I like it! how soon till we see a painted/installed set??? lemme know if you might want a vista blue test mule :) heheh

kinda guessing (hoping) maybe the hidden corners are sharp funneling into a radius to clear the cutout? that seems like a good compromise for appearance/easy install. any chance you guys might consider selling prepainted? seems theres several companies out there like on ebay doing just that, faster delivery/less runaround/added value...

when can you start accepting preorders? think Id like this option better than any others to date for sure! NICE WORK!

ps- any chance of seeing a pic looking into even one of the vents? very curious as to if enough there to maybe justify not painting the whole thing, keeping some of the clear areas...and in molding, will the bottoms still remain fairly 'clear' optically, or will shrinkage distortions make visibility negligable? I'm already thinking...reverse paint the back a light grey, get some expanded metal to adhere to the bottom of pockets from the outside, just to give the 'illusion' of a open vent at the bottom...masking would be fun...I paint my rc heli canopies from the inside- gives great 'look' from outside, but masking is very time consuming.

further suggestion- as you have all the 'numbers'- would you please consider having a vinyl shop provide precut 'stencils' for 'window' masking purposes? if you sell painted, or we paint them, would save a lot of time either way, and make the job much easier - at a cost of a couple bucks a sheet... would be another selling point. I'm thinking maybe a 1/8" black edge at bottom of pocket 'window'(reverse painted with polycarbonate paint- thickness adds depth) then medium gray 'window' inside of that, another mask for outside/window pocket bottom, overlapping the black- to cover while painting color coat, topped off with precut expanded metal or round perforated plastic inserts to drop in after outside painted. sorry for the rant, but I'm gettin excited about these :)

SilverHorse-----Racing 7/16/06 05:18 PM

Thanks! That's a lot to cover, let me see what I can answer for you:

You will not see painted / installed finished pieces for probably 12 weeks or so. I did not receive final mold #'s from the shop yet, so until I get that info and sign away my first born, the clock is not ticking and on minor hold. The prototype is 100% (minus one mistake that we are fixing), so when I release some more pictures of it painted, installed, etc, you'll have a real good idea of how the production set will look.

Can't comment on the hidden portions - that's why they are hidden for the moment :)

Pre-painted - we may, we may not - depends on a lot of factors. Remember too that the finished parts will be smoke or black, so a lot of people won't need / want to paint them. For those that do, at a very minimum we will be including the vinyl masks - that was thought of very early on, and is just part of the kit.

Pre-orders - soon (a couple weeks maybe) - Until final numbers come in, and we figure out everything that will be included in a kit, we can't set pricing. But like I said before, we'll be very competitively priced with what is currently available.

As to the masks and reverse painting - you could, I even thought of it, but in an automitve app, you'd probably want to do it normal style from the outside. If you paint the inside, you have trouble down the road if you ever want to re-paint, plus the gloss level will be different, the PC could yellow (even with UV inhibitors) from getting caught between the sun and the paint, etc...

Wow - as to the final mask question - I think I'd have to see what you are talking about before even guessing how to accomplish it. On a one-off basis it sounds cool, but to do it for production, I think we'd need to talk to Bill and see what he would want for a multi-color layup. The labor is what hurts you there, the work is easy, but time intensive, and if you screw up anything, you just scrapped the set.

06tungstenstang 7/16/06 05:25 PM

is the picture blurry to everyone or just me?i cant see it

SilverHorse-----Racing 7/16/06 05:29 PM

I thought it was just a setting on my end, but I guess everyone is seeing that. I checked a couple other threads, and it seems to be site wide for the thumbnails... weird. If you click on the thumb it still pulls up the normal picture though, correct? (at least it is on my end)

06tungstenstang 7/16/06 05:32 PM

cool, i didnt even try to click on it.are you guys going to do a smooth version,with no vents.