05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd
View Poll Results: So what's it going to be?
Vossen
80.00%
BBS
20.00%
Ford Performance
20.00%
Niche
20.00%
TSW
20.00%
Make something up (write in)
20.00%
Just pick a **** wheel already!
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Lookin at 19's can't decide - PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/21, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Lookin at 19's can't decide - PIC HEAVY

I'm going to split this up into a couple posts to make it more digestible. Here's the background and the conundrum, posts after will be w/ the options. Here we go:

A couple weeks ago I got a set of 19x8.5 and 19x10 "Magnetic" style wheels from American Muscle and got some Bridgestone's to match (255/40R19 and 285/35R19). Long story short, there were tons of defects in the finish on the 8.5's, so I got an exchange from AM (they were pretty cool about it), and low and behold the replacements were just as bad, maybe worse than the originals. My shop warned me too about the cheap chinese made wheels you get from AM, and told to put the wheels on the spindle an spin them to make sure they were true. Sure enough three of the four had a bad enough wobble that I just decided to return the whole set for a refund. Killed me to, I was a big fan of the style:

All the green sticky notes point out the defects, but the 2nd pic below shows a little more closeup

In a bit of a conundrum now though -- AM was really cool about returning the wheels, but Tire Rack isn't about the tires. I can return them no problem, but I have to pay return shipping and that ain't gonna be cheap. Plus I'm still in the market for new wheels (as you can tell by me posting this thread), and I want to go up to 19's from my 18's. The problem is there's not a lot of wheels out there that I think are going to work too well with Tungsten Gray in the sizes I need (19x8.5 front & 19x9.5 or 19x10 rear).

I'm ideally looking for something with a machined face, or at least a brushed rim to make the wheels pop. Tungsten is a pretty medium gray, and most of the painted wheels in the size/bolt pattern I need are all pretty much charcoal/graphite/anthracite. Just the style now I guess, and they aren't really gonna stand out too much. Or they'll just be kina 'meh'. Take these two as an example.

First up is my Konig Stampedes I'm currently running on the car. 18's, polished stainless lip. Problem with these is the polished stainless picks up all the dark reflections, so if the lighting isn't right, they're too dark.

So I decided to go all out and dipped them in Anthracite from DipYourCar. IMHO, they were too dark and it doesn't look all that good:

Next up is Niche Misano's I took off my wife's Mazdaspeed 3. Just so happens to be the same bolt pattern and right offsets. If the wheels look tiny, these are 18's, it's just the tires are tiny (think they're 225/40R18 or something like that). The actual wheels don't look too bad but it does just kinda blend in.

Here's another one from American Muscle, charcoal magnetic's on someone's tungsten GT

Last edited by Cavero; 4/1/21 at 09:58 PM.
Old 4/1/21, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

First option is the Vossen VFS-1. This thing caught my eye on one of the forums years ago and I wish I'd gone for it back then because now the options are limited. They came in two main finishes, silver w/ brushed face and matte graphite. Hands down I'd be getting these in silver if I could, but Vossen recently discontinued that finish and nobody has them in stock anymore (believe me I checked -- AM and carID both listed them on their websites, but when I emailed them they said 'sorry, discontinued in that finish and all gone'). And that SUCKS because c'mon...look at them

So my only choice is matte graphite. Which looks pretty decent on a Sterling Gray Mustang, but that's a darker paint than Tungsten:

This Infiniti is probably closer to what I'd see w/ Tungsten:

Last edited by Cavero; 4/2/21 at 05:59 AM.
Old 4/1/21, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nnnnext! BBS CI-R. Vossen's ain't cheap but these are even more. They come in platinum silver w/ polished stainless lip (pretty similar to my Konigs) but the stainless lip is pretty thin, so you can't really see it in the pics too well. Advantage of these is they're light and they're a highly recognized brand so resale should be pretty good. Can't find a pic of them on a S197 though:

Old 4/1/21, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Option #3 is Ford performance BOSS 302S. I like 'em but I think the spokes are a little too thin and the wheel's a little too open for my liking.

Old 4/1/21, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Niche Targa in silver w/ machined face. Can't find a pic of these on a gray mustang, so I'll settle for Audi

Old 4/1/21, 09:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Last is the TSW sweep. I can't find any pics of these on a car, period. But I like the gunmetal w/ stainless lip. Might end up being like the Konigs though where the polished lip just catches all the dark reflections.

Too bad I can't get the Bathurst in silver anymore (not in 19's anyway)

Old 4/2/21, 02:26 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,232 Posts
I picked Vossen for 2 reasons.
One, I like the wheel on your car the best.
Two, better quality than the others.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (4/2/21)
Old 4/2/21, 05:37 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Personally, I would go Vossen, Niche, TSW or Forgestar for the looks and superior quality. Nothing wrong with Ford Performance either. But definitely stay away from AM, LMR and Steeda, as all their wheels are manufactured in China.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/2/21 at 05:38 PM.
Old 4/3/21, 10:33 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Vossen here
Old 4/3/21, 10:33 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Vossen here!
Old 4/3/21, 12:15 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
I like the Vossen VFS-1, I think the darker color will look very sharp on your Tungsten Stang.

So have you considered the Shelby wheels? Just wondering because the Shelby Venom is a similar style to the Vossen VFS-1 and they do come in silver. Not sure if they have your preferred size.

https://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/venomwheel.htm

Also have a few others that fit your chosen looks. I just trust the quality of the Shelby wheels. Plus Shelby knows Mustangs.
https://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Wheels-s/64.htm

Old 4/3/21, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
I picked Vossen for 2 reasons.
One, I like the wheel on your car the best.
Two, better quality than the others.
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Personally, I would go Vossen, Niche, TSW or Forgestar for the looks and superior quality. Nothing wrong with Ford Performance either. But definitely stay away from AM, LMR and Steeda, as all their wheels are manufactured in China.
​​​​​​​

Yeah I think quality really matters on a wheel fitted with such a low aspect ratio tire. Definitely leaning towards anything flow formed ($$) or forged ($$$) for that reason. My wife got a flat on her wheels (Niche Misano) and just driving the mile home warped it pretty bad (it wasn't totally flat by the time she got home either).

Last edited by Cavero; 4/3/21 at 08:34 PM.
Old 4/3/21, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I like the Vossen VFS-1, I think the darker color will look very sharp on your Tungsten Stang.

So have you considered the Shelby wheels? Just wondering because the Shelby Venom is a similar style to the Vossen VFS-1 and they do come in silver. Not sure if they have your preferred size.

https://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/venomwheel.htm

Also have a few others that fit your chosen looks. I just trust the quality of the Shelby wheels. Plus Shelby knows Mustangs.
https://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Wheels-s/64.htm

Nope, can't believe I didn't think of them! Shelby's one of the first things that comes to mind w/ upgraded mustangs. The Venom wheels are nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the 6+ spoke wheels. The Vossen's can kinda 10 spokes, but they're merged enough that they're more split 5 spokes.

I really wish the CS2's were available in 19's! It'd be game over right there!

Gonna try to find more pics of the CS5's. They come in 19x9.5 is on the edge of being a little wide for the 255's I have for the front, but they might work.

shaneyusa (4/5/21)
Old 4/5/21, 07:48 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Glad I could give you some more options. I too am a 5 spoke kinda guy. Do like the original Shelby Super Snake Alcoa wheels. The CS5s kind of remind me of them, nice look. Hope you find a quality wheel that works for you. Good Luck.

EDIT:
Was looking on eBay and these showed up...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-GT500-Alcoa-Wheels-18x9-5/324552024718?hash=item4b90cee28e:g6UAAOSw4KdgZ4Z C

EDIT2:
Then the holy grail shows up... If you got deep pockets these can be yours... (Note Canadian $)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alcoa-Carol...0AAOSwPhdga0g7

EDIT3: This one looks like maybe it was a scam. Add was pulled.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 4/9/21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 4/6/21, 05:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I didn't read all the discussion, just looked at the pictures . . .

I notice all of the wheels here are what I call "thin spoke" wheels; very open designs with thin spokes. Those are what I think of as "modern theme" wheels . . . but this is kind of a "retro theme" car . . . did you consider anything with "thick spokes" like the good ol' bullitt wheels?
tbear853 (4/6/21)
Old 4/6/21, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
A vote for thick spokes!

When Caveman invented the wheel, he had no spokes.

Last edited by tbear853; 4/6/21 at 09:20 AM. Reason: thread completion & continuity
Old 4/6/21, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I didn't read all the discussion, just looked at the pictures . . .

I notice all of the wheels here are what I call "thin spoke" wheels; very open designs with thin spokes. Those are what I think of as "modern theme" wheels . . . but this is kind of a "retro theme" car . . . did you consider anything with "thick spokes" like the good ol' bullitt wheels?
I know, TL: DR. If you can find any in 19 let me know. All the retro wheels are either in 18 or 20. 18 for people who either like a little meat on the tires or have an older car with smaller wheels. 20's for people who are about style. 19 seems like it's an odd size
Old 4/6/21, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
LOL, maybe that should be "SAT;DR" meaning "short attention span; didn't read"

I am not trying to influence you toward Bullitt wheels, it's your car . . . it's just my personal preference that these cars seem to look "best" with those retro style wheels; probably because I grew up with them. I can't comment much on the others. If I was buying a more modern style of wheel, I'd shop mainly on weight and structural integrity.

I'm pretty sure they are available in 19", below is example from American Muscle . . . though I would not buy from them, unless I wanted low price over quality.

Mustang Deep Dish Bullitt Black Wheel - 19x8.5 (10-14 Standard GT, V6) (americanmuscle.com)

Last edited by Bert; 4/6/21 at 03:50 PM.
Old 4/7/21, 09:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bert
LOL, maybe that should be "SAT;DR" meaning "short attention span; didn't read"

I am not trying to influence you toward Bullitt wheels, it's your car . . . it's just my personal preference that these cars seem to look "best" with those retro style wheels; probably because I grew up with them. I can't comment much on the others. If I was buying a more modern style of wheel, I'd shop mainly on weight and structural integrity.

I'm pretty sure they are available in 19", below is example from American Muscle . . . though I would not buy from them, unless I wanted low price over quality.

Mustang Deep Dish Bullitt Black Wheel - 19x8.5 (10-14 Standard GT, V6) (americanmuscle.com)

Yeah definitely not going w/ American Muscle brand wheels, the first wheels I had to return were theirs (and got me stuck on 19's w/ the tires I bought).

As to why not Bullitts? My all seasons are on the stock 17 bullitts and I can't bring myself to spend this kind of money to have 2 sets of the same wheels (even if they're different sizes).
Old 4/7/21, 09:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got ahold of Vossen directly, they said they can do a custom finish on the VFS-1, one option being Satin SIlver, which would come out something like this (color only). Brushed finish definitely out.

I also called a wheel shop in my area that has a CNC machine that can do the brushed finishes, but they said flat surfaces only, no curves. They'd have to see them in person to see if they'd have any problem areas. The VFS-1 curves in right around the lug nuts so probably a no-go on that way.

Also threw together some quick photochops of the original options. Definitely leaning away from the BOSS 302's. Pretty much confirms my suspicion that the spokes are going to be too thin. The BBS and Vossen's look pretty good though...

BBS CI-R

BOSS 302S

Matte Graphite Vossens

Silver Vossens

Quick Reply: Lookin at 19's can't decide - PIC HEAVY