05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

LED Tails Bulbs only

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/17, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LED Tails Bulbs only

Help me understand. BEFORE doing some reading. I went and bought a bunch of LED bulbs for replacing all my bulbs. Tails including reverse and all 6 tail light bulbs. Replaced them all. They all worked as they should. I still had regular bulbs up front for signal and parking. Now that I have LED up front When I turn on my headlights on they flash and then go out in the rear. If I brake they light, If I signal they light as they should no hyperflash. The bulbs are Sylvania 3157R's from Oreilly, R for Red.

The package does mention possible need for a Load Equalizer. What is that?

Will likley go back to regular bulbs until I get the Raxiom GEN5 tails but I would like to understand this first.

I will mention that when I first got the fronts I got the amber and they did not work at all. I exchanged them for white and those work fine. THey are also 3157's just whit and not amber or red.
Old 11/19/17, 04:19 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
You need to probably add a resistor for led bulbs since the load is to much for them. Did you notice that when you turn off the car that they shine very dimly?
Old 11/19/17, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
You need to probably add a resistor for led bulbs since the load is to much for them. Did you notice that when you turn off the car that they shine very dimly?
No I did not notice this.
Old 11/20/17, 09:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
As mentioned, you probably just need to add a resistor. This is common when switching to LED bulbs. The circuit expects a certain amount of resistance so that it knows when bulbs are burned out or missing.

The color of the bulb shouldn't be relevant. It's possible that you put the bulbs in backwards. It's also possible that the bulbs were just junk.