05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

LED options for gills in headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/15, 11:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
LED options for gills in headlights?

I was wanting to insert LED lights into the gills on the headlight bucket, but haven't found anything out there, really. I wanted to replicate the 2015 LED gills. I found 2 that are close.

I found this, but not quite what I want:

http://www.hidguymodshop.com/2005-20...or-headlights/

Anyone with input? AM, you got anything coming?
Attached Thumbnails LED options for gills in headlights?-light2.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by jim010; 5/9/15 at 11:48 AM.
Old 5/9/15, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This is what I had in mind, but using the same type of light in the 2015 cars:
Attached Thumbnails LED options for gills in headlights?-light4.jpg  
Old 5/10/15, 12:45 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Lmao funny you are posting about this as I am making and retrofitting my own into my headlights.
will show then once they are done of course.
I also did some research and you are correct, not a lot of options out there.
though there is a dude one FB HID something who does these for a living.
They are pretty good though I don't like the material he uses for the cover of the holes.

https://www.facebook.com/YukesHIDRetrofits
found it.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 5/10/15 at 12:47 AM.
Old 5/10/15, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You the man, VGM! I am eagerly awaiting to see what you come up with. I may be asking you about a 'how to'. All I want is the same as what the 2015 has.
Old 5/10/15, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This is what I am wanting. Pretty pricey, though at $370 for white and $450 for additional colours:

info@yukeshidretrofits.com
Attached Thumbnails LED options for gills in headlights?-lite1.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-lite2.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-lite3.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-lite4.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-lite5.jpg  

LED options for gills in headlights?-lite6.jpg  

Last edited by jim010; 5/10/15 at 04:02 PM.
Old 5/10/15, 06:50 PM

Haha thanks Jim. You and me both! 2015 headlights are really cool looking.
Exactly. What he offers is way to expensive so I ddecided to make my own.
A how to? Sure. I'll have to take some pictures for you cause i wasn't planning on makingone. Haha.

To give you a head start what I am currently doing is I bought 2 sheets of white plexiglass.
something like this.
and I'm cutting out the shape of the holes. You'll need a heat gun to curve the bottoms of them because that's the way the holes are. It will be more clear what I am talking about with the pictures.

I'll be using heavy duty glue to afix them and be using these to light them up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351330414264?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
you'll need two different sizes. The 12mm and the 17mm ones in length.
afix them behind and power them up.

I'll also be adding halos but I know most ppl don't like them.
Old 5/10/15, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
This is what I am wanting. Pretty pricey, though at $370 for white and $450 for additional colours:

info@yukeshidretrofits.com
Wow, those are really nice looking. If I still had my 08 I would really consider getting a pair of these.
Old 7/26/15, 09:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Haha thanks Jim. You and me both! 2015 headlights are really cool looking.
Exactly. What he offers is way to expensive so I ddecided to make my own.
A how to? Sure. I'll have to take some pictures for you cause i wasn't planning on makingone. Haha.

To give you a head start what I am currently doing is I bought 2 sheets of white plexiglass.
something like this.
and I'm cutting out the shape of the holes. You'll need a heat gun to curve the bottoms of them because that's the way the holes are. It will be more clear what I am talking about with the pictures.

I'll be using heavy duty glue to afix them and be using these to light them up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351330414264...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

you'll need two different sizes. The 12mm and the 17mm ones in length.
afix them behind and power them up.

I'll also be adding halos but I know most ppl don't like them.
Have you made any progress VGM?
Old 9/6/15, 06:38 PM

I don't come here often anymore due to, well you know why Jim.

Do these pictures answer your question? Haha. Installed them a few weeks ago.
They need to be fixed a little due to alignment issues but it's not bad at all.

I even managed to bypass my DRL system. They aren't 100% though, as the rings flicker.
My brother is figuring out a way to get 100% power to them.

I know most of you won't like the ring but that doesn't matter to me.
1st pic DRL
2nd pic headlights are on.
3rd pic of car with new headlights
Attached Thumbnails LED options for gills in headlights?-20150829_223848.png   LED options for gills in headlights?-20150829_223804.png   LED options for gills in headlights?-20150829_003755_lls.png  
Old 9/7/15, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
A nice styling add on there VGM. It looks rather good. I'm like the others on the ring, but the side lights (aka 2015) are a nice add.

Thre have been too many dips**ts on here lately, so I've only popped on occassionally myself. If I need some kind of information, I'll try and look, but otherwise, the few bad apples have run this site down to very few and far between posters/readers. I only post a few times a month, if that anymore. So, yes I know what you are saying also. Akdoggie.
Old 9/7/15, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That is looking good. I definitely want to be doing this mod when I am done with the 12. Will there be a write up with a parts list when it is fine tuned?

There are always bad apples, but many more good ones. Don't let them chase you away. This board needs good modders to show the way.

Cheers
Old 9/8/15, 03:48 PM

Thank you AK and Jim and for the assurance.

No Jim I am not going to write up anything. Don't have the time right now.
Of anyone is interested they can PM me and I might help if I'm in the mood. I've had enough of being treated like an invisible person.

I'll definitely PM you what I did though when you are ready.
Old 9/8/15, 06:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am definitely wanting to do this. It will probably have to wait until spring as I have my hands full with other mods. But I am doing this, just because it is so cool.
Old 9/17/15, 06:11 PM

Here is a shot without the ring so you can get an idea what it looks like.

I also forgot to put on my headlight splitters. DOH!
Attached Thumbnails LED options for gills in headlights?-20150915_185426.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-20150915_185441.jpg  
Old 9/21/15, 08:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I really like how that turned out John. I've been thinking about that myself. **** I hate when I have to do something else to Sonya. She looks fine like she is, until, this. Very nice add to your Mustang VGM.

Can you send me what you did in a PM so I can decide if I'm going to try this this winter. I have a spare set of headlights, so if I screw up, and it's quite possible I will, I have a fall back idea. lol. Thanks
Old 9/23/15, 11:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, I too like it alot. Slick.

Just adds a little modern touch.
Old 9/29/15, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, it has been pouring rain this weekend, so I decided to go find my spare set of headlights. I tried one first, by heating it in the over for about 15 minutes (took that long to release the glue). After some serious fighting, I finally got the lense off. Inside there is the insert for the headlight. I'm thinking about heating the lamp more and removing the insert to make it easier. I'll keep you guys up on how it comes out and post a few pictures when I get done with the first lamp. If it turns out, good, I'll post some better pictures.

Thanks the the ideas guys.
Old 9/29/15, 12:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes please!
Old 9/30/15, 04:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here is what is done so far. 1) baked headlight @220 degrees until the glue loosened enough, about 10 minutes, then started tp remove the lense without breaking. Use some gloves, as 220 degrees will cause you serious discomfort or even burns. I did it in 3, ten minute sessions just to be careful. I'm sure you can do it in less, but why melt or break anything? 2) Removed inner lense panel (4 glued tabs only). I should have done this when I finished removing the lense originally, but since I hadn't had one apart, you live and learn. I certainly will remove it when I do the outer lense next side. 3) Tried 4-5 different styles of lights and found the ones VGM came up with the best. I had a set, so it gave me a choice. LED's show each light, so that wasn't an option. The LED blocks, would work fine (you'll see in my pictures later), but they again, leave a void between placement. 4) Drilled one hole at the bottom of the headlight, using a 1/4 drill bit, This size fits the grommet(s) I'll use to run my wires thru to the outside of the housing. 5) Bought a 24x24 translucent panel for fluorescent lights. Marked it for each side, to be cut out. This has to be carefully cut, as this stuff likes to crack and break. I'm going to try a Dremil first, and if not, then a razor knife. The jigsaw, even with fine metal cutting blades, tears it on the edges.

I'm ready to glue in the lights and fill the hole for the wire, so that no water can cause steamy/foggy headlights. I'll bake them again, once everything is back together, to make sure that everything gets sealed and no moisture is left inside for later.

That is it so far, but it's not a priority and I want it to look right, so I'm going slowly on this, the first side. Tomorrow, I will add the lights, and wire them for access to the parking lights. Doing it this way will keep them on whenever the lights are on, in any position. I have to cut the lenses yet, but that too will be done tomorrow. Then it is just reinstall and hope no leaks down the road. lol

Here are a few pictures of the bucket disassembled. As you can see, it isn't much to do, you just have to be careful and take you time, removing the clear lense. If you break that, it's over for that headlight. Hope these help you understand, that this is really a simple mod, if you have time and patience.
Attached Thumbnails LED options for gills in headlights?-gopr0505aa.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-gopr0506aa.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-gopr0507aa.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-gopr0509aa.jpg  

Last edited by akdoggie; 9/30/15 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10/1/15, 12:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

After trying to find a way to get the lights to give off a even glow, I gave up on this particular light. I have decided to add white reflective tape to the inside behind the 2 gills. The lights will now mount to the back of the insert instead of the main body. This way the light is shining towards the reflective tape, and this will give an even light reflection and hopefully a better look. As far as how they are going together, I'm at a standstill until I get my new lights. I ordered them tonight. ''Here are a couple pictures of how the lenses are attached to the gills. I used a hot glue gun and a heat gun to form the plastic.

The first pic is with the lenses (pic 2) attached via hot glue gun. I then formed a little with a heat gun, and glued where it was bent. Worked rather well actually. Picture 3 is the unit with the new gills and lighting installed. I didn't heat the lense to reinstall, so when the new lights get here, I can easily install them and seal the lense back tight.
Attached Thumbnails LED options for gills in headlights?-sam_7953aa.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-sam_7951aa.jpg   LED options for gills in headlights?-sam_7972aa.jpg  

Last edited by akdoggie; 10/1/15 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: LED options for gills in headlights?