05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Latest round of mods (Pic and reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/07, 01:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest round of mods (Pic and reviews)

Here's pics of the car with the ultralites in.

Before

After

Ebrake

Armrest

For full gallerys click on the respective links in my sig.
Reviews-

Steeda Ultralites-
Install: I did the rear springs by myself using TacoBill's write-up and have to say it was really easy even for a mechanical novice like myself. The front springs I did with direction and assistance from Bill and while slightly more labor intensive it's still not that hard to do as long as you have the tools.

So after driving over 100 miles with them so far I have to say I'm very pleased with the ride quality. The only time I felt a difference was when going over medium to large sized bumps in which case I felt them more than I did with the stock springs. Other than those situtations which were very few the car felt as if it still had the stock springs.
FYI-My rear axle was only off by a 1/4 to the right after lowering.

Armrest-
As you can see from the pics above there's hardly any difference between the stock armrest and the pleather wrapped armrest. They even feel the same. If it wasn't for the stitching on the sides I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference. IMO this was a waste of money and wouldn't recommend doing this mod unless you have nothing left on your mod list.

Ebrake-
While it does look 10,000 times better than the crappy plastic stock handle I will say this mod is not as quick and easy as it looks. The mod involves removing the entire center island (down to the carpet), removal of sail panels, front of center console, as well as a trip below the vehicle to release the ebrake cables. I love the way it looks and couldn't be happier with. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide.
Old 1/14/07, 06:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
how much was the arm rest and e brake cover?
Old 1/14/07, 06:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do like the E-Brake, but not sure if I want to go through all of "that". Nice job Leo
Old 1/14/07, 06:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice pics. Car looks good. I just got my armrest from Kevin also. Very nice touch. Was thinking about the e-brake but that's more than I want to mess with. Might get the MGW handle.
Old 1/14/07, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the write up Leo, I've been looking at the ebrake and center console armrest. I always wondered if it would be more comfortable or not thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear you like the Ultralites cant wait to get mine in really helps the whole look of the car Any plans to upgrade shocks/struts, adding control arms or a panhard? Those parts are what I've been holding out installing for... that and new rims. But if the ride quality is pretty good on the stock suspension I may put them in a little sooner.
Old 1/14/07, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Looks like I've pushed people away from doing the ebrake mod. Well I guess with the exception of the new 07's I'll be one of very few with this leather handle. BTW-TacoBill will be making a write-up just in case any of you decide you want the leather ebrake.

Originally Posted by Glenn
how much was the arm rest and e brake cover?
Sorry but Kevin has asked us not to post his prices online.
Email Kevin Casey at Clevparts@aol.com and put hotsheets in the subject line.
Old 1/14/07, 07:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking good Leo!
Old 1/14/07, 08:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Shaun81
Thanks for the write up Leo, I've been looking at the ebrake and center console armrest. I always wondered if it would be more comfortable or not thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear you like the Ultralites cant wait to get mine in really helps the whole look of the car Any plans to upgrade shocks/struts, adding control arms or a panhard? Those parts are what I've been holding out installing for... that and new rims. But if the ride quality is pretty good on the stock suspension I may put them in a little sooner.
Sorry I completly missed your post earlier.

Shocks and Struts-Not likely as I don't notice much of difference in the ride after putting in the springs. I'm sure getting them would make the ride smoother and possibly improve the handling but I'm ok with the stock one's for now.

Control arms-
Unless I notice negative a difference in performance at the track this week I won't even waste my money.

Panhard Bar-I don't think my rear axle being off by a 1/4 inch is worth $169. If I have nothing better to spend my money on in the future then I'll consider it.

I'm sure you'll be more than happy with just installing the steeda ultralites. If anything you can always buy the other parts if your not satisfied. I say buy as little as you need first.
Old 1/14/07, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry I completly missed your post earlier.

Shocks and Struts-Not likely as I don't notice much of difference in the ride after putting in the springs. I'm sure getting them would make the ride smoother and possibly improve the handling but I'm ok with the stock one's for now.

Control arms-
Unless I notice negative a difference in performance at the track this week I won't even waste my money.

Panhard Bar-I don't think my rear axle being off by a 1/4 inch is worth $169. If I have nothing better to spend my money on in the future then I'll consider it.

I'm sure you'll be more than happy with just installing the steeda ultralites. If anything you can always buy the other parts if your not satisfied. I say buy as little as you need first.
Makes sense, I kind of felt like I was overthinking the whole situtation. I think I'll slap them in sometime this week and see how it goes and pick up the panhard if my rear is to out of center. I had just the steeda lowering springs in my 2003 svt focus and it worked out great.
Old 1/15/07, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Leo, the car looks great! You know, IMHO the biggest improvement to your Pony was getting rid of the 17" POS wheels in favor of your new Bullitts!

Thanks for talking me out of the console cover and e-brake handle. You saved me $$$!
Old 1/15/07, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

It looks good. The armrest and ebrake look much better. Ford should have done it that way in the beginning.

I ended up doing only my rear springs with ultralites. I started to do the front and had a problem loosening one of the front strut bolts. I put the front back together and was going to either take someplace or give it another try later with a breaker bar. After driving it a few days i liked the look and ride with only the lowered rear springs. I didn't need a new sway bar either. I'm not sure if or when I'll lower the front.

If anyone is worried about losing ride quality when lowering their car, I recommend the Steeda ultralites. The ride quality it pretty much the same.
Old 1/15/07, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Have a pic to share Neil? I'd like to see the stance with just the rear lowered, thanks.
Old 1/15/07, 02:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Makes sense, I kind of felt like I was overthinking the whole situtation. I think I'll slap them in sometime this week and see how it goes and pick up the panhard if my rear is to out of center. I had just the steeda lowering springs in my 2003 svt focus and it worked out great.
Yup just throw them on and go from there. Worst case scenario you can always change them back out.

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Leo, the car looks great! You know, IMHO the biggest improvement to your Pony was getting rid of the 17" POS wheels in favor of your new Bullitts!

Thanks for talking me out of the console cover and e-brake handle. You saved me $$$!
Thanks. I was just telling Bill the exact same thing the other day. The rims have made a night and day difference.

Originally Posted by neil07gt
It looks good. The armrest and ebrake look much better. Ford should have done it that way in the beginning.

I ended up doing only my rear springs with ultralites. I started to do the front and had a problem loosening one of the front strut bolts. I put the front back together and was going to either take someplace or give it another try later with a breaker bar. After driving it a few days i liked the look and ride with only the lowered rear springs. I didn't need a new sway bar either. I'm not sure if or when I'll lower the front.

If anyone is worried about losing ride quality when lowering their car, I recommend the Steeda ultralites. The ride quality it pretty much the same.
Thanks. For me it looked awkard with just the rears. The front of the car seem to stick up just slightly enough for me to notice.
Old 1/15/07, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have a pic to share Neil? I'd like to see the stance with just the rear lowered, thanks.
No pics yet. I'll post some in a few days. FWIW, imagine a mustang that sits level with no raised rear.
Old 1/15/07, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

what I would love to have covered in blck leather is the black top of the dash, that would look incredible, does any body do that type of work in the 05 gt?
Old 1/16/07, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
No pics yet. I'll post some in a few days. FWIW, imagine a mustang that sits level with no raised rear.
Here are my pics with steeda ultralite springs on the rear only. The car seems level to me. Judge for yourself. I'm not sure if or when I'll do the front. I liked the car alot after doing just the rear. If I feel that the rear sits lower than the front then I'll certainly do the fronts, asap. It's been 3 weeks. The ride quality is pretty much the same but with less squat in the rear during acceleration.

The pics are really lousy, the weather turned cold and rainy and the parking garage at work was the only place for some quick pics. My driveway is certainly not level, but the parking garage is.
Attached Thumbnails Latest round of mods (Pic and reviews)-100_1890a.jpg   Latest round of mods (Pic and reviews)-100_1894a.jpg   Latest round of mods (Pic and reviews)-100_1896a.jpg   Latest round of mods (Pic and reviews)-100_1893a.jpg  
Old 1/16/07, 11:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Neil I'm going to put mine in soon I think I'll try just the rears at first and see how it goes.