05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

How I Deleted my Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/07, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Yes. I painted plugs prior to installation.
Yes. I used superglue on the bottom of the plugs. You may want to get other opininions on this. There is probably a smarter/better way.
The ones I got had circular gill-like flaps around the shaft of the plug. The attached picture looks nothing like my hole plugs, but image the shaft of the plug having the look of the ones on the right. Hope that makes sense.

Even without the superglue, they wouldn't just fall out. You would need to really pull on them

I have no idea how the 05+ holes compare to the 96 holes.
Cool...I'm definitely doing this when it stops snowing and the temp rises around here (Chicago) another snow storm coming!.

Originally Posted by hatchttu
the 05+ holes have 2 different sizes. the plugs are 3/8 inch hole plugs (they are white to begin with). 2 holes are perfect and 2 have to be enlarged. I recommend using a dremmel to enlarge them. I will post pics this evening of the plugs I am using. I used the pen type with the brush from ford and a can of clearcoat that is used on wheels. They dont require any glue as they are designed to "clip" in. (it is evident how they clip by seeing them).
Are you saying that you drilled the smaller holes larger? Can't I just get different size hole plugs?
Old 2/12/07, 08:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=RUgoinUp?;842147]I'd be glad to lend a hand, Chuck. However, I am confident that you could DIY with a forum How-To and some pics. That's how I got started wrenching on cars 4 years ago.

Off-topic, my 100th post. Cool![/quot i read the DIY on here and everyone said that an extra set of hands is recommended!
Old 2/12/07, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Cool...I'm definitely doing this when it stops snowing and the temp rises around here (Chicago) another snow storm coming!.

Are you saying that you drilled the smaller holes larger? Can't I just get different size hole plugs?

The plugs would then look different on the trunk lid. One hole is also more oval shaped, so you have to round it out. and yes I drilled the smaller holes larger so the same size plugs fit. with a dremmel it is very easy.

Here is a photo of my trunk lid with hole plugs.

Old 2/12/07, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

these are the hole plugs I used, 3/8 nch hole plugs from lowes, 1.04 for a pkg of 2. Sorry it is so big, I cant figure out how to make it smaller. I tried to resize it on photo bucket but when I paste it it doesnt get any smaller.

Old 2/13/07, 04:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
Hey Phil - I know a reputable shop in PC that can cover those holes and paint if you're interested - PM me
Thanks Dave, but that's probably not in the budget right now and even though I really like the look without the spoiler, I like having the option of ‘going back’ in a matter of minutes.

The tape got me thinking, though. Now I'm looking for a very thin piece of metal, preferably aluminum with very thin adhesive on the back. I will cut this into small circles like JohnMichael did with the tape. Paint them to match and stick them on. I think they will be less conspicuous than the plugs and less prone to indentations than the tape. It’s on my very long list of ‘things to do’.
Old 2/13/07, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

um there is no way i would rock a car that cost 29 stacks with a taped up trunk lol. at least bondo it.
Old 2/13/07, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by official_style
um there is no way i would rock a car that cost 29 stacks with a taped up trunk lol. at least bondo it.
+1 to that!!! Sorry guys, I'm not on board with this...
Old 2/13/07, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

i hear you, but everyone has their own thing

i personally wouldnt rock a car with a tacked on plasticy, ugly tall spoiler that didnt have any positive affect on the aero of my car.

i was just lucky enough to have the ability to order mine with spoiler delete from the factory
Old 2/13/07, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese302
i hear you, but everyone has their own thing

i personally wouldnt rock a car with a tacked on plasticy, ugly tall spoiler that didnt have any positive affect on the aero of my car.

i was just lucky enough to have the ability to order mine with spoiler delete from the factory
You're right about the stock spoiler of course, I didn't like it either. Lacking the spoiler delete option (didn't think about it when I ordered the car) I think I would just be a bit more... ummmm... shall we say "professional" (NOT intended to offend!) in deleting the spoiler though.
Old 2/13/07, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

As previously mentioned, it's only temporary. A new spoiler is coming as soon I choose the one I want.

Since I like these types of projects, I simply could not overcome the temptation to get rid of the spoiler ASAP. Plus I grew tired of the rear view obstruction it posed.

BTW, it only cost me 25 "stacks" out-the-door.

Chuck, LMK when you want to tackle the covers.
Old 2/13/07, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RUgoinUp?
As previously mentioned, it's only temporary. A new spoiler is coming as soon I choose the one I want.

Since I like these types of projects, I simply could not overcome the temptation to get rid of the spoiler ASAP. Plus I grew tired of the rear view obstruction it posed.

BTW, it only cost me 25 "stacks" out-the-door.

Chuck, LMK when you want to tackle the covers.
your lucky lol, i ordered mine when it first came out, $29,400 but i got spoiler delete and shaker 1000
Old 2/13/07, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hatchttu
The plugs would then look different on the trunk lid. One hole is also more oval shaped, so you have to round it out. and yes I drilled the smaller holes larger so the same size plugs fit. with a dremmel it is very easy.

Here is a photo of my trunk lid with hole plugs.

That looks phenomenal!

I don't plan on going back (after deleting) so I guess I don't have a problem drilling to make the holes the same size. Even then if I needed to re-install the stock spoiler it shouldn't be a problem.

This is very doable and I'd rather delete the spoiler than put another spoiler on that I kinda like when I really don't want one at all. Also I'd rather do this and avoid the costs of filling and painting and move on to better uses for the $$$ like a shifter!

Thanks for the info and the pics!
Old 2/13/07, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

when i had my 99 i didnt even plug the holes (passed on the way of the redneck and took the ghetto approach) water never got in. not sure if the trunk on the 05+s have the same design though. regardless it looks good. i am a big fan of the spoiler deletion
Old 2/13/07, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

your lucky lol, i ordered mine when it first came out, $29,400 but i got spoiler delete and shaker 1000
At least it was nice to have something that no one has seen before, i.e. new model, new body style.

On that note, I just went to the auto parts store w/ my son to pick up a red brake caliper paint kit, and some older gent complimented the car and said he had never seen one in red.
Old 2/13/07, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
That looks phenomenal!

I don't plan on going back (after deleting) so I guess I don't have a problem drilling to make the holes the same size. Even then if I needed to re-install the stock spoiler it shouldn't be a problem.

This is very doable and I'd rather delete the spoiler than put another spoiler on that I kinda like when I really don't want one at all. Also I'd rather do this and avoid the costs of filling and painting and move on to better uses for the $$$ like a shifter!

Thanks for the info and the pics!
Thanks for the compliment. Those plugs in the pics have started to peel around the edges, I only painted the tops of them. I bought new ones and painted and cleared the entire plug and will replace them as soon as I remember to bring them out to my car.
Old 3/18/07, 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

So how are your DIY spoiler deletes holding up?

Anyone else try this yet? Any suggestions from those who've done this?

I'm thinking of giving this a shot. My ducktail, louvers are in but I have to get them painted and installed. So I figured I'd get a head start and remove the stock spoiler.
Old 3/18/07, 05:49 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My DIY has been on since 2002. As I indicated above, I should have more coats on the hole fillers, but I've had no issues with the plugs themselves. Plus you can always put the spoiler back on if you change your mind.
Old 3/18/07, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tape actually looks better than the plugs

Awesome job
Looks very very clean and smooth.
Old 3/18/07, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. Mine looks just as good as day 1, and not a drop of water inside. I recently taped over the duct tape with red tape so it didn't look tacky when the trunk was lifted.

It looks even better now that I lowered it (Roush rears), painted the calipers red, and added white Roush racing stripes. Tomorrow I'm ordering my painted Roush spoiler. The spoiler delete was nice while it lasted.
Old 3/19/07, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
+1 to that!!! Sorry guys, I'm not on board with this...
+2
C'mon... maybe stick the V6 spoiler on there.

Quick Reply: How I Deleted my Spoiler