05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hood Blackout

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/07, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is actually all pictures of the silver car. The pictures show the gloss. I will do the steeda style in flat black so you can see the difference. That will most likely be closer to the weekend when I get them changed.
Old 4/11/07, 06:15 AM
Cobra R Member

cool, thanks man. man that silver looked bright. maybe its my computer monitor
Old 4/11/07, 12:08 PM
GT Member

I had mine done by the guy who does all the stripe kits for my dealer. He did an excellent job, but he also said it may the the only one he ever does ! ! Might be worth a try with your dealer..........only cost me $200 for the hood and between the taillights. He ordered the material and then cut to fit. I am happy with it.................single piece with 1/8 in stripe aroound it.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Blackout-my05-002.jpg   Hood Blackout-my05-003.jpg   Hood Blackout-my05-005.jpg  
Old 4/11/07, 12:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by postalworker
I had mine done by the guy who does all the stripe kits for my dealer. He did an excellent job, but he also said it may the the only one he ever does ! ! Might be worth a try with your dealer..........only cost me $200 for the hood and between the taillights. He ordered the material and then cut to fit. I am happy with it.................single piece with 1/8 in stripe aroound it.
the hood was done in one piece? not bad, i wonder what it takes to do that.
Old 4/11/07, 12:45 PM
GT Member

He actually had to do it twice as he was not happy the 1st time. The problem is with the slope of the nose both front/rear and side/side. It was the 1st, and maybe the only...if he does another one, it will cost a whole bunch more than mine did. It is what he does for a living, mostly doing work for dealers with the LeMans stripes and such. He looked at what I wanted and gave me a very good price, but after install he decided he didn't think he would do it again.
Old 4/11/07, 01:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by postalworker
He actually had to do it twice as he was not happy the 1st time. The problem is with the slope of the nose both front/rear and side/side. It was the 1st, and maybe the only...if he does another one, it will cost a whole bunch more than mine did. It is what he does for a living, mostly doing work for dealers with the LeMans stripes and such. He looked at what I wanted and gave me a very good price, but after install he decided he didn't think he would do it again.
oh ok.

whatever then, i can just buy this kit and do it myself.
Old 4/12/07, 09:24 PM

Anyone else want the group buy? We still have 3.
1. rocket88
2. razorX
3. Cheese302
Old 4/13/07, 10:43 AM
Cobra R Member

c'mon more people, i want to max it out
Old 4/13/07, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd be in, if it wasn't for that seam. I'm afraid that's a deal-breaker for me.
Old 4/13/07, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

well i think that the vinyl is just to hold over till i have the bucks to do it in paint. besides its darn near impossible to find someone that can source the material and cut to the size of the hood. maybe those guys that make the whole body decals for nascar or something.
Old 4/13/07, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

The stripe on potalworker's hood looks very good. No visible seam. The silver one had a visible seam.

When you add the cost of the stripe kit and $200+ for installation, it alsmost makes sense to spend a little more and get it painted. I don't know about the painters in your areas, but my painter wouldn't charge me anything extra at that point to shoot the rear spoiler as long as I remove it and prep it myself. I think I'm going to go that route.
Old 4/13/07, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
RMG,
Here's a pic of your rear blackout on mine.Quite happy with it.
I'd be interested in the hood graphics also, but I want to see some photos before I'll commit to purchasing.
Sorry, wrong pic, I'll try again

Our cars are very similar, take a look at mine, its basically what your car will look like.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...attscar008.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...attscar010.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...attscar009.jpg
Old 4/13/07, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

im gonna have to pass, I thought we'd get to 10+ with no problem.
Old 4/13/07, 02:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by odiaz
The stripe on potalworker's hood looks very good. No visible seam. The silver one had a visible seam.

When you add the cost of the stripe kit and $200+ for installation, it alsmost makes sense to spend a little more and get it painted. I don't know about the painters in your areas, but my painter wouldn't charge me anything extra at that point to shoot the rear spoiler as long as I remove it and prep it myself. I think I'm going to go that route.
Well since i would install the vinyl myself, i guess that saves me 200 bucks. i am blacking out the top of my trunklid. i jsut think i want the car to have the black hood for a while first, before i commit to putting paint on the hood, which is a tad less reversible. plus i want to possibly get another hood for the car, which i will just paint the second one.
Old 4/13/07, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yellow05,
Sharp!
I was wondering who's car that was. I've seen pics of yours previously.
I've still have to get a black rear spoiler.
Undecuded what I'll do with the hood as of yet.
I'm guessing you painted your hood, right?
The vinyl is not gonna cut it on the hood for me.
Thanks for the pics!
Old 4/13/07, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

the only vinyl I have is my blow up doll!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4/14/07, 09:17 AM
V6 Member

I'm going to have to pass on the GP too if we can't get more people. I would do it if we could get more people and save more money but I would rather put the $ into a few other items first if I am only going to save a few...
Old 4/15/07, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I'm a big fan of a hood blackout, and initally looked for a full sized decal, I found a guy to paint and am OVERJOYED I did it. The guys that did it are a small time operation and was more interested in getting it perfect than charging me. I am a rolling example of their skills and have also had them paint my Cervini rear spoiler. I did choose gloss over satin or flat (which makes me somewhat of an oddball) but the finish is like a mirror and I'm quite happy with the results.

I am poised on dropping the $$$ for a hood scoop now, and once painted, know that it will be a perfect match with the hood paint.

If you are considering this mod, I recommend getting quotes on what paint would be compared to the vinyl kit plus professional installation (especially should there be a problem in installation requiring a second set need be ordered). I put on vinyl side stripes easy enough, but a peice as large and critical as a hood blackout, I would want somebody to do it that knew what they were doing.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Blackout-p0000024a.jpg  
Old 4/15/07, 08:47 PM
Cobra R Member

well i will go flat, i guess i'll jsut wait till i buy anohter hood before bothering. i just dont want to re-paint the original hood. because getting it stripped later and re-painting white would be a pain. so thats why i want vinyl. paint, needs a repaint if i change my mind. vinyl, i need a heat gun some pb decal remover and an hour or two. as for install, whatever, soo many people tell me to have someone do it. i just dont get why, spray the thing down with some water, get a couple good plastic scrapers: go at it. i wish someone made it in one piece, but whichever, i guess the group buy isnt going to happen so i'll have to wait a bit before buying them. if we got 10 people for $50, i would already have my money over to rocky mountain.

vinyl: $100 bucks
paint: $ 300, 400, 500, depends on who i use, then if i change my mind in a couple weeks, months, a year, gotta pay it again.
Old 4/15/07, 09:33 PM
GT Member

painted blackedout hood

I would think blacking out a hood would not be that expensive! Its not like your going to do the whole car, It would take less then a qt of paint and you would use a single stage semi or flat ,no clear or you would get shiny. I'm not a painter, but, Ive had a couple of things painted ( front fascia & rear bump ) neither cost more then 200.00 that included prep and clean up, so how much could one hood cost? my stripes are vinyl and scoop painted.

Quick Reply: Hood Blackout