05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/09, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight question

The question is.. does anyone know where to get that headlight set up? I like the retro look of it and would rather buy this type of setup as opposed to getting a second set of headlights and heating them up to remove the plastic face.
Old 10/13/09, 04:35 PM
GT Member

I'd like to know also!
Old 10/13/09, 04:43 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There was a guy on ebay a while back making them, haven't seen him in a while. Nobody is making those that I'm aware of.

Sorry, but as far as I know is custom or nothing. Good luck.
Old 10/13/09, 04:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought it might be an aftermarket part for sale since that car and several others are right on the CDC site with those headlights. I guess the search is still on!

If anyone does know.. please feel free to jump in.
Old 10/13/09, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

CDC did two cars like this. The Blue one and a Mineral Gray Vert. They used a headlight (sealed beam) from a Jaguar and did some custom work. They took a bunch of calls (including mine) asking for this to be available, but they ended up bailing on mass production because the cost would be too great for the mass market to stay interested.

I opted to use a heat gun, pop the lens, paint the buckets, and seal with NAPA #4196 Butyl Glass Tape.

Attached Thumbnails Headlight question-fall09.jpg  
Old 10/13/09, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

Shaun,

I am curious, why did you decide to stop your stripes over the front bumper?
Old 10/13/09, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

So its safe to say I need to find a scrapped Stang, buy the lenses, pop the plastic, then get some Jag lights. Son of a... I'd say it's an awesome winter project but FL never has a winter!
Old 10/14/09, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The problem with leaving the plastic off is that there's a gap between the bucket and the fascia. You can see it pretty clearly in the picture and people who have seen the car in person say it's very noticeable. Just an FYI in case you weren't aware ...
Old 10/14/09, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

The gap is the main reason I didn't go through with this.
Old 10/14/09, 02:35 PM
GT Member

i looked everywhere for this set up and had no luck so i found a set of headlights on craigslist i got for 40 total. i heated up the lens took it off and i got some lexon and clear silicon to put the headlight together. it is close to the facia but that didnt bother me. the only worry i have is that the heat from the light will melt the silicon. my car is in the shop till second week of nov getting some new toys added, but after i get it back and put the lights on ill post pics and results
Old 10/14/09, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I noticed the gap. I wish I had my resources like I did in NY.. I could've built this in my friend's shop. Seems like it is time to become a mad scientist.
Old 10/14/09, 03:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

those are the headlamps of the foose stallion. cdc bought the remainder of the company that built them. forgot their name already.
but cdc does not sell them. only if you own a foose stallion for replacement.
the lamps are also attached to the whole front bumper. so if you would change, you would have to change the whole front.
Old 10/14/09, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Foose Stallion headlamps are different, they incorporate the Eleanor style into it. At least all of the ones I've seen pictures. Shaun did point out CDC had designed the car above. Shame they can't find a way to make these in mass production because I'm sure plenty of people would want them.
Old 10/14/09, 04:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by StangRalle
those are the headlamps of the foose stallion. cdc bought the remainder of the company that built them. forgot their name already.
but cdc does not sell them. only if you own a foose stallion for replacement.
the lamps are also attached to the whole front bumper. so if you would change, you would have to change the whole front.
the foose are different they have an additional light in the housing. maybe ill start making them and selling them if there is a calling for them, depending if mine are succesful
Old 10/14/09, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chris... if it is something you can do I'd say go for it. If you can make them for a reasonable price you'd sell them like hot cakes. As for me, if I can't make my own set I might buy some from you if you make it.
Old 10/14/09, 06:10 PM
GT Member

No offence, but keep the plastic len's, and just get a set of headlights from fleabay, and do em yourself..... with mine, you cant really see the lens, and I think it looks good. I did a how-to before the crash, but all you need is a heat gun, and some NAPA #4196 3/8" Glass setting butyl tape. I rolled mine out smaller than the 3/8 " and so far after 2 years, no leaks. the hardest part is removing the old crap inside the black part of the len's, after that, your home free!!!!!!! any other questions? Just ask...

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Headlight question-img_6595-medium-.jpg   Headlight question-img_6596-medium-.jpg   Headlight question-img_6598-medium-.jpg  
Old 10/14/09, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustangbaxter
No offence, but keep the plastic len's, and just get a set of headlights from fleabay, and do em yourself..... with mine, you cant really see the lens, and I think it looks good. I did a how-to before the crash, but all you need is a heat gun, and some NAPA #4196 3/8" Glass setting butyl tape. I rolled mine out smaller than the 3/8 " and so far after 2 years, no leaks. the hardest part is removing the old crap inside the black part of the len's, after that, your home free!!!!!!! any other questions? Just ask...

Tim
How did you get your lense's off?
Old 10/14/09, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Suntzu
Shaun,

I am curious, why did you decide to stop your stripes over the front bumper?
In 1965 the GT350R had a chrome bumper. They didn't stripe over the bumper. I was trying to stay true to my original throwback cues. I have a few items left to achieve the desired effect, but I am waiting to talk to some MFGs at SEMA to see if there is anything in the works. Being and independent pioneer on this stuff is killing me. They made my darn grille available one week after I finished mine. Mine took 7 hours in just hand sanding!
Old 10/14/09, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't do paint, but I'm good at popping them apart. Last set I did took less than 15 min per light. As with Tim, I am glad to help anyone who has a set of spare headlights.
Old 10/15/09, 06:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by IHVOCD
How did you get your lense's off?
Heat Gun set on low, and time. I heated the black part of the lens till you could see my finger print, they just pried the clear lens apart from the black housing.

Quick Reply: Headlight question