05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Headlight modifications diy daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/20, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight modifications diy daytime running lights

Wanted to know if anyone had taken advantage of the vent holes in the stock headlights to install some running lights like the 2018-20 mustang? I saw that theres space behind them and thought about taking apart the housing cutting some frosted glass to fit the holes and putting some leds behind them and wiring it to the running lights. I've seen the aftermarket ones that do this sort of but they cost well over 300 for the pair and they dont seem to match with the design of the car I feel like filling in vents that are already designed for the car would fit well?
Old 6/6/20, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Yes and no.

Most mods done on the lights had to do with removing the lens to get access to the housing inside and paint them. Of course, that's not what you're doing, but it's probably the correct approach, as the housing on the rear doesn't have any markings for those gills. See the below video from LMR when they remove the headlamp at the 1:20 mark, and pause it. You'll see what the area looks like, and how there's no markings to go by. Cutting them from the inside instead of the outside will ensure you don't miss.

But that's really the least of your issues on this. The big problem is taking that clear lens off. That'll require heat (oven at 210, 20 minutes, then start the work), THEN you also gotta pry those tabs off and not break things. I've read that's an issue, those tabs. Heating past that 210 will melt the housings, so that's not a way to go... You might cut the tabs off, but I'd not. You might try to work the thing if you crack it, but if it doesn't seal, that'll mess things up in the headlamp.

And that's the biggest thing. Sealing them is important. If water gets in them, that'll cause issues, either with the bulb or the reflector or the effectiveness of the headlamp...

BUT... there's that word again... BUT, if you can get them apart, saw the gills, put some lights in them, and seal them all back up watertight... absolutely you can do that.

Personally, I'm buying them rather than do all that, but you do you! As Chef John from Food Wishes might say... You are after all the Jay-Z... of how your headlamps should be. Go for it!

Hope that helps in some way! And welcome to the forums!

/Lookit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/For-2005-...ight/522819454
//I may get me a set... For 70+shipping a pair? That's not bad, and reviews seem to think they're good... And they're matte black, looks like, unlike the OEMs which are glossy plastic black...
///Then again, I have my old OEMs, they just need the lens resurfaced and enamel cleared and swapped in for the SVE ones I put in last time... Then I can resurface and clear them and put them back... I like the matte black...
/VAnyway, you could get those and experiment all you wanted...
VOh yeah, video of headlamp swap, 1:20 timestamp for housing detail in cutting area:

V/I kind of dig these too...
https://www.amazon.com/RACING-INC-Projector-Headlights-Compatible/dp/B083JPT74D/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=2005+mustang+headlight+housing+drl&qid=1591496576&replacementKeywords=headlight+housing+drl&sr=8-35&vehicle=2005-54-688------------&vehicleName=2005+Ford+Mustang https://www.amazon.com/RACING-INC-Projector-Headlights-Compatible/dp/B083JPT74D/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=2005+mustang+headlight+housing+drl&qid=1591496576&replacementKeywords=headlight+housing+drl&sr=8-35&vehicle=2005-54-688------------&vehicleName=2005+Ford+Mustang

Last edited by houtex; 6/6/20 at 08:27 PM.
Old 6/7/20, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Yes and no.

Most mods done on the lights had to do with removing the lens to get access to the housing inside and paint them. Of course, that's not what you're doing, but it's probably the correct approach, as the housing on the rear doesn't have any markings for those gills. See the below video from LMR when they remove the headlamp at the 1:20 mark, and pause it. You'll see what the area looks like, and how there's no markings to go by. Cutting them from the inside instead of the outside will ensure you don't miss.

But that's really the least of your issues on this. The big problem is taking that clear lens off. That'll require heat (oven at 210, 20 minutes, then start the work), THEN you also gotta pry those tabs off and not break things. I've read that's an issue, those tabs. Heating past that 210 will melt the housings, so that's not a way to go... You might cut the tabs off, but I'd not. You might try to work the thing if you crack it, but if it doesn't seal, that'll mess things up in the headlamp.

And that's the biggest thing. Sealing them is important. If water gets in them, that'll cause issues, either with the bulb or the reflector or the effectiveness of the headlamp...

BUT... there's that word again... BUT, if you can get them apart, saw the gills, put some lights in them, and seal them all back up watertight... absolutely you can do that.

Personally, I'm buying them rather than do all that, but you do you! As Chef John from Food Wishes might say... You are after all the Jay-Z... of how your headlamps should be. Go for it!

Hope that helps in some way! And welcome to the forums!

/Lookit: https://www.walmart.com/ip/For-2005-...ight/522819454
//I may get me a set... For 70+shipping a pair? That's not bad, and reviews seem to think they're good... And they're matte black, looks like, unlike the OEMs which are glossy plastic black...
///Then again, I have my old OEMs, they just need the lens resurfaced and enamel cleared and swapped in for the SVE ones I put in last time... Then I can resurface and clear them and put them back... I like the matte black...
/VAnyway, you could get those and experiment all you wanted...
VOh yeah, video of headlamp swap, 1:20 timestamp for housing detail in cutting area:
https://youtu.be/o3JwwUOeJNg?t=80

V/I kind of dig these too... https://www.amazon.com/RACING-INC-Pr...5+Ford+Mustang
yeah I knew you usually had to bake the lights on most cars though I didnt know the clips were such an issue and it required cutting to get them off...I still feel it would be a good look for them but it may not be worth it unless I'm already prepared to get new ones that way if I mess these up it's not an issue lol. And yeah mine are all pitted up looking on the lens anyways too so may not be worth it with there age anyways. Also I have seen those lights but for a lot more than that price I may actually go for those if I do decide to attempt it and fail. Feel like it'll be something to brag about if I pull it off though and do it cleanly. Thanks will post process if I do attempt it
Old 6/12/20, 10:47 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
You mean like this?

My custom lights I did myself last year.

heck here is an updated version of my headlights I made myself.

Ive done this back in 2014!
Old 6/12/20, 10:50 AM

Heres another shot of mine.
I was driving down the road one day and a guy came up beside me asking me where I got my headlights.
I told him I retrofitted them myself! He was dissapointed and said his son would have loved them on his car! haha. Now thats a nice compliment!

I make this for customers. They arent cheap but well worth the price. Also depends on what you want.

Old 6/12/20, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
...But that's really the least of your issues on this. The big problem is taking that clear lens off. That'll require heat (oven at 210, 20 minutes, then start the work), THEN you also gotta pry those tabs off and not break things. I've read that's an issue, those tabs. Heating past that 210 will melt the housings, so that's not a way to go... You might cut the tabs off, but I'd not. You might try to work the thing if you crack it, but if it doesn't seal, that'll mess things up in the headlamp...
Sorry Houtex but thats not true. I heat my headlights @ 220F fro 10 - 15 min and they are absolutly fine. The tabs CAN be a PITA but before heating up the oven, hit the tabs with a heatgun until they are really soft then pry them off the tab slowly then let them cool. Then put them in the oven. And after you are done your mod, you seal them with silicon or resuse the silicon thats already in there. I tend to clean them out and put in new stuff and seal it. Never had an issue with water getting in. Then heat up the tabs again and softly bring them back down and let cool.

It may be a lot of work to mod you headlights but I think it is so worth it. Its something you made with your own hands then but something that everyone else has.
Old 6/12/20, 04:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I'm glad to be wrong. Everything else I read seemed to indicate they were an issue, so good info to have!