05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Headlight Housings

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/08, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight Housings

Has anyone found an aftermarket headlight housing that eliminates the clear plastic cover ?

Thanks
Old 9/10/08, 06:01 PM
Cobra Member

CDC is the only one that did it and they are not selling them to the public (they are not DOT approved).

If you want it, you'll have to do it yourself (take the plastic cover, buy a sealed lamp, glue it to the current chromed reflector, put the bulb from the back, paint the plastic inside piece if you want, and you are done!).
Old 9/11/08, 12:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have done it once. I would never do it again. Too much work and trouble.

Here some pictures:

Old 9/11/08, 01:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a mod that keeps the shield:

Old 9/11/08, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StangRalle

Here some pictures:

Car looks great though!!!! Although the grille has some warpage issues, not being a jerk but when you have a car that nice looking I have to find something wrong. Hahaha....
Old 9/11/08, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PIKE2244
Car looks great though!!!! Although the grille has some warpage issues, not being a jerk but when you have a car that nice looking I have to find something wrong. Hahaha....
LOL, well you got me there. 3dCarbon problem.... Nothing I can do... Maybe will replace the Eleanor Grill next season with a different model than 3dCarbon. It is just too soft...
Old 9/11/08, 03:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL, well you got me there. 3dCarbon problem.... Nothing I can do... Maybe will replace the Eleanor Grill next season with a different model than 3dCarbon. It is just too soft...
Hey Ralph, order up the Street Scene Center Foglight Grill. Its what I have and believe me, after the KSR warped grill fiasco, the CDC grill is perfect!!!
Old 9/12/08, 02:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Ralph, order up the Street Scene Center Foglight Grill. Its what I have and believe me, after the KSR warped grill fiasco, the CDC grill is perfect!!!
Hey, so which one would you recommend, SS or CDC?

Thanks.
Old 9/12/08, 04:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I actually don't think thats the grill thats warped, it looks to me like its the bumper. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you have a set of the 07+ headlights that do not have the black thing in the center. I believe it would be 10x's easier. When I baked a set of headlights, the black paint on the center thing started to chip off. THen while trying to fix it, I screwed up the chrome. Cheap plastic chrome.

Anyways, I have a set of already painted Redfire head light buckets I'd like to get rid of. If anyones interested, hit me up.
Old 9/12/08, 04:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06
I actually don't think thats the grill thats warped, it looks to me like its the bumper. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you have a set of the 07+ headlights that do not have the black thing in the center. I believe it would be 10x's easier. When I baked a set of headlights, the black paint on the center thing started to chip off. THen while trying to fix it, I screwed up the chrome. Cheap plastic chrome.

Anyways, I have a set of already painted Redfire head light buckets I'd like to get rid of. If anyones interested, hit me up.
Hi, it is the grill.
Old 9/12/08, 05:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Here some pictures:

Looks fantastic. I plan on doing this over the winter. Any tips, and can you tell me whgat light you used?
Old 9/12/08, 05:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by exgto
Looks fantastic. I plan on doing this over the winter. Any tips, and can you tell me whgat light you used?
I used aftermarkert Halos for the Volkswagen Golf II. They fit quite well. You can get them to good prices. And the beam is so much better than the FORD stock.

It's actually a shame when you think that a VW Golf II lamp, a car which was built like 16 years ago, has a better beam than a 2005 Mustang.

If you need any further help, shoot me a PM and I'll try to guide you through it.
Old 9/12/08, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Its gonna look great once you take care of the grille!!!! Then I will have to find something else to nitpick about...
Old 9/12/08, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PIKE2244
Its gonna look great once you take care of the grille!!!! Then I will have to find something else to nitpick about...
Old 9/12/08, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Jeff, are you having problems with the Street Scene Center Foglight grill turning white with microcracks? I know yours doesn't see the outside as much as mine, but my grill is starting to look a little weathered.
Old 9/12/08, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 99vert
Jeff, are you having problems with the Street Scene Center Foglight grill turning white with microcracks? I know yours doesn't see the outside as much as mine, but my grill is starting to look a little weathered.
That is a good and important point. I had mine painted, but now would go with an upainted to have some contrast again. If it looks weathered, maybe go and paint it black.
Old 9/12/08, 01:22 PM

That is a good and important point. I had mine painted, but now would go with an upainted to have some contrast again. If it looks weathered, maybe go and paint it black.
Considering the cost to paint it, I may just buy a new one.
Old 9/12/08, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Considering the cost to paint it, I may just buy a new one.
... but then have the same problems after a while... So better paint it.
Old 9/12/08, 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey, so which one would you recommend, SS or CDC?

Thanks.
I recommend the SS grill. Much better compared to the KSR I had prior. Plus it looks OEM.
Old 9/12/08, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey bud, while cleaning it at the MCA show in Canada, I did notice the color was not as black as before (jet black ). I contributed it to the car being out in direct sunlight from anywhere between 6-8 hours on a Saturday and Sunday, every weekend (I am a car show/cruise-in junkie). So I just get my Mothers Back to Black and make it look new again. So far it works well.

As far as "microcracks"?. That I haven't noticed at all. And believe me, when I was cleaning my car at MCA, I cleaned EVERYWHERE and got up close to the grill to get everything out.

Quick Reply: Headlight Housings