05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Has anyone removed and left off their rocker panels?

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/07, 06:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone removed and left off their rocker panels?

I did a search but came up empty. I'm seriously considering either completely removing and leaving off OR painting black the extra 'ground-effects'-looking lower rocker panels as well as the lip on the front bumper and on the rear to 'thin' down the look of the car.

Has anyone here removed these pieces (or just the rockers) and left them off? I've seen a pic of a white S-197 with blue stripes and a "GT-350" rocker panel stripe that LOOKED like they had been removed but can't find out who's it is.

Regardless - any pros/cons to doing this removal or would you just paint them black to give the visual effect of a 'thinner' car?
Old 6/1/07, 06:30 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
NO!!!

its ugly under there
I blacked out mine and the lower bumper line tio slim it down a bit- but then it also looks like its sitting a bit higher off the road...I still much prefer blacked out. I have a pic somewhere of mine sans- fenders and rocker covers while I was undercoating it, its not pretty under there...

Originally Posted by Steve
I did a search but came up empty. I'm seriously considering either completely removing and leaving off OR painting black the extra 'ground-effects'-looking lower rocker panels as well as the lip on the front bumper and on the rear to 'thin' down the look of the car.

Has anyone here removed these pieces (or just the rockers) and left them off? I've seen a pic of a white S-197 with blue stripes and a "GT-350" rocker panel stripe that LOOKED like they had been removed but can't find out who's it is.

Regardless - any pros/cons to doing this removal or would you just paint them black to give the visual effect of a 'thinner' car?
Old 6/1/07, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It probably had the V6/GT500 rockers. It would be better to get a take off set or new parts rather then paint them so it wont chip to the original color(probably cheaper anyway). On the brighter colored GT's it slims it down quite a bit, just like the mirror caps slim down those monsters by breaking it in 'half' visually. My dad's is white with a CDC in black and a duck-tail, so he's ordering a set for that exact reason.
Old 6/1/07, 06:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kevinb120
It probably had the V6/GT500 rockers. It would be better to get a take off set or new parts rather then paint them so it wont chip to the original color(probably cheaper anyway). On the brighter colored GT's it slims it down quite a bit, just like the mirror caps slim down those monsters by breaking it in 'half' visually. My dad's is white with a CDC in black and a duck-tail, so he's ordering a set for that exact reason.
I think the one I saw was a white V6 with the Pony Package and Lemans Stripes (Blue) on a white car. So, the V6 rockers are different than the GT's huh? I've never shopped for a V6 so I never even noticed.
Old 6/1/07, 06:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

The V6/GT500 uses a molded in matte black rocker panel. Exact same shape as the GT. All V6's and GT500's have them so any photo would work for reference. It's a dead on match for the CDC classic spoiler when ordered in black. If my car was any other color I would already have em.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wallpaper/07gt500/
Old 6/1/07, 06:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either get some take offs or leave yours on, it will ruin the lines and look of your ride.
Old 6/1/07, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

The V6/GT500 uses a molded in matte black rocker panel. Exact same shape as the GT. All V6's and GT500's have them so any photo would work for reference. It's a dead on match for the CDC classic spoiler when ordered in black. If my car was any other color I would already have em.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/wallpaper/07gt500/
Thanks for the link. I see what you mean now...

Any idea how much a set of the matte black ones would set you back? I've got a great body shop that can paint my originals and I'm getting a quote from them next week. But - if I can buy replacements and bolt them on for equal or less I'll go that route.
Old 6/1/07, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

I know newtakeoffs sells them for 99 plus shipping for gloss black(any color) GT ones, I would imagine they may not be that much even as a new part for the unpainted V6 ones straight from the dealer. Some other takeoff place may have V6 ones already. I think it's only like 4 screws and some clips that hold it on.
Old 6/1/07, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I put the V6 rockers on my GT. My thought was exactly what you guys are saying. I think it makes the car look a little sleeker. Here are before and after pics. Sorry about the exposure in the after. I'm not a professional photographer.

About the mounting. You'll need a set of those push in connectors. Best to buy a complete set from your Ford dealer. They come in a bag. The old ones are not re-useable. I proved that to myself when three or four of the old ones started dropping out.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1180749212

Last edited by Northwest GT; 3/6/08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 6/1/07, 08:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Nice lookin sled Joe
Old 6/1/07, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Kevin. It's my baby. It's the best car I've ever owned. Ford hit a home run with this S197.
Old 6/1/07, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Northwest GT
I put the V6 rockers on my GT. My thought was exactly what you guys are saying. I think it makes the car look a little sleeker. Here are before and after pics. Sorry about the exposure in the after. I'm not a professional photographer.

About the mounting. You'll need a set of those push in connectors. Best to buy a complete set from your Ford dealer. They come in a bag. The old ones are not re-useable. I proved that to myself when three or four of the old ones started dropping out.

IMO I like the before..OMG!, but I am older and wiser than you

Edit: Something just looks off balanced, You do have a nice car, Just not my style
Old 6/1/07, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Northwest GT

I am definitely liking the look with the black rockers. I do think though that the front and rear fascia need to have the lower portion blacked out too to balance the entire profile of the car.

But your car looks killer, Joe. Nice!
Old 6/1/07, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

My father put the CDC classic on the white car and the side of the car instantly looked ginormous between the tires
Old 6/1/07, 08:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Rapture
Edit: Something just looks off balanced, You do have a nice car, Just not my style
Its the whole missing-roof thing convertibles have, it's supposed to look like that silly

Oh, and nice car Rusty, might be the best looking mustang ever
Old 6/1/07, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its the whole missing-roof thing convertibles have, it's supposed to look like that silly

Oh, and nice car Rusty, might be the best looking mustang ever

Thanks Kevin with this pic IMO I would have to agree

See the inserts LOL
Attached Images  
Old 6/1/07, 08:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh great, you put a chin spoiler on, now I have to do something
Old 6/1/07, 08:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
quick comment on the 99 dollar ebay ones- watch the shipping- they are 'oversized' and I think shipping was like 60 bucks or something when I checked on it...I got black(gloss) ones at a swapmeet for 40 bucks a pair(guy had all colors) and found with the seat folded they just barely fit in the car...I still repainted them to dull them out(along with lower bumpers)
Old 6/2/07, 09:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I went with the black/blue all over theme last spring. CDC agressive in low gloss black, GT black rockers from DMS (800-995-4003) take-offs, add rear splash guards and trimmed out the rear in matching low gloss. It gives the car a more defined agressive look. Went so far as to black out all the lenses as well.
Old 6/3/07, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Steve
Any idea how much a set of the matte black ones would set you back? I've got a great body shop that can paint my originals and I'm getting a quote from them next week. But - if I can buy replacements and bolt them on for equal or less I'll go that route.
Steve mine were $235 so it was less expensive for me to go this way.
I also am doing the blue and black thing on my ride. It does thin the car down. I wrapped the rear with the GT-500 bumper and painted the lower matte black, also did the CDC chin spoiler in matte black. See the thread link for pictures.

pics of california dream hood - The Mustang Source Forums

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed and left off their rocker panels?