05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

GT grill

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/17, 05:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GT grill

I have maybe a silly question. I want to put the GT grill with fog lights on my V6 instead of changing whole bumper. I want that aggressive look. I have found them on ebay but was wondering what you guys with a GT do when you change it out. If anyone has one that they are willing to sell I would be willing to buy for a good price. If this is wrong place to ask forgive me but I see all these before and after pics and just hope someone that replaced theirs has it sitting around .....Thanks...this is what I'm looking for...http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-05-09-Mu...lTsifr&vxp=mtr.

Also is it an easy install?

And will I need a wiring system?

Thanks
Paul

Here is my front grill now if it helps.....

Last edited by nimzp; 7/25/17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 7/25/17, 06:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Regardless which one you get, if it has fog lights then you will need a wiring harness. Aside from wiring, the actual installation should be very simple.

If you get a grill taken from a GT, be aware that it is not an exact fit. The GT and V6 bumpers are shaped differently. So if you install a GT grill in a V6 bumper, there will be a small gap along the bottom.
The following users liked this post:
nimzp (7/25/17)
Old 7/25/17, 06:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Regardless which one you get, if it has fog lights then you will need a wiring harness. Aside from wiring, the actual installation should be very simple.

If you get a grill taken from a GT, be aware that it is not an exact fit. The GT and V6 bumpers are shaped differently. So if you install a GT grill in a V6 bumper, there will be a small gap along the bottom.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the GT grill wouldn't fit properly . From all the pics I've seen on here they look so similar. Again, thanks for the help.

Paul
Old 7/25/17, 10:43 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Also keep in mind the mounting lock tabs of the grills and underside of the bumper covers are in different locations.. Therefore modifications will be required if you choose not to replace the V6 bumper with the GT that is a direct fit.. I know this through personal experience, as I was looking into replacing my GT grill with the V6 pony package grill with smaller fog lights, until finding out that it would not be a direct fit without changing over to the V6 bumper in which I was not willing to do.. Just saying
nimzp (7/26/17)
Old 7/26/17, 07:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Also keep in mind the mounting lock tabs of the grills and underside of the bumper covers are in different locations.. Therefore modifications will be required if you choose not to replace the V6 bumper with the GT that is a direct fit.. I know this through personal experience, as I was looking into replacing my GT grill with the V6 pony package grill with smaller fog lights, until finding out that it would not be a direct fit without changing over to the V6 bumper in which I was not willing to do.. Just saying
Thank you for the heads up. It's guys like you that offer info from prior experience that makes this site so helpful .

Paul
Old 7/26/17, 07:29 AM
V6 Member

So, the one that I linked on ebay should be fine or no? Kind of confused since it looks just like the GT grill.....
Old 7/26/17, 11:26 AM

Paul ! if your changing over from a V6 grill to a GT grill or from a GT to V6 grille, you must also change the bumper cover if your expecting a direct fit, otherwise you'll have to do some major fabricating to your replacement grill and existing bumper cover to make it work in which I do not recommend..

Therefore if your looking to replace your V6 grill with one from a GT.. You must also match it with a GT bumper cover as well in order to get a direct fit..

-Rocky
nimzp (7/26/17)
Old 7/26/17, 12:30 PM
V6 Member

Paul ! if your changing over from a V6 grill to a GT grill or from a GT to V6 grille, you must also change the bumper cover if your expecting a direct fit, otherwise you'll have to do some major fabricating to your replacement grill and existing bumper cover to make it work in which I do not recommend..

Therefore if your looking to replace your V6 grill with one from a GT.. You must also match it with a GT bumper cover as well in order to get a direct fit..

-Rocky
Ok, thanks. I was just trying to do it cheaper I guess. About my first post , do any of you guys that change out your parts like the bumper or grill or anything for that matter have them still and would be willing to sell? Sorry for sounding like a cheapo but trying to fix my mustang up little by little. Any vapor silver guys out there with parts you don't need anymore and would like to get some money for?

Thanks
Paul
Old 7/26/17, 03:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Hang on a minute...lets back up.

If you get an actual GT grill (taken off of a real Mustang GT), then it will not fit right and you will have to do some work to get it on there.

If you buy the grill that you linked from ebay in your original post, then you should be fine. The ebay grill is not an actual GT grill. It's just made to look like the GT grill.

If you look closer at a GT grill versus an aftermarket grill made for a V6 to look like a GT grill, then there are some differences:

A GT grill has the majority of the honeycombs blocked off, while aftermarket grills are usually pretty much open.

A GT grill has the fog lights located further toward the outside of the car. Look at a pic of a GT grill and the aftermarket grill, and look at how many honeycombs are on the outside of the fog lights and how many are on the inside surrounding the pony.

Long story short...The ebay grill should be fine. But don't expect super awesome quality from those halos, because they'll likely be "meh" at best. You'll also need additional parts to make the fog lights work: Harness; Switch. I'm sure you can find cheaper alternatives than that, but you'll need something.
nimzp (7/26/17)
Old 7/26/17, 04:09 PM
V6 Member

If you get an actual GT grill (taken off of a real Mustang GT), then it will not fit right and you will have to do some work to get it on there.

If you buy the grill that you linked from ebay in your original post, then you should be fine. The ebay grill is not an actual GT grill. It's just made to look like the GT grill.

If you look closer at a GT grill versus an aftermarket grill made for a V6 to look like a GT grill, then there are some differences:

A GT grill has the majority of the honeycombs blocked off, while aftermarket grills are usually pretty much open.

A GT grill has the fog lights located further toward the outside of the car. Look at a pic of a GT grill and the aftermarket grill, and look at how many honeycombs are on the outside of the fog lights and how many are on the inside surrounding the pony.

Long story short...The ebay grill should be fine. But don't expect super awesome quality from those halos, because they'll likely be "meh" at best. You'll also need additional parts to make the fog lights work: Harness; Switch. I'm sure you can find cheaper alternatives than that, but you'll need something.

Thank you so much for that clarification. I thought the Ebay one was a GT grill, so I assumed I could ask if anyone wanted to sell one they didn't need, but now that I look more closely I can totally see the differences. Thanks to all who posted to help a newbie ! I will continue to try and modify my exterior and ask questions before moving forward. I am hoping to do the grill, a ducktail spoiler and then stripes. Rocker panel stripes too. Great site for help !!! Getting a lot of ideas too looking at all the pics!

Paul
Old 7/26/17, 09:19 PM

Apparently I misread the OP's post, as I thought he was referring to an actual GT OEM grill.. If the grill he's interested in from e-bay is an aftermarket grill made to fit a V6 bumper cover, then he should be just fine..

However as you mentioned, he will need additional parts to wire up the fog lights correctly

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/26/17 at 09:20 PM.
nimzp (7/27/17)
Old 7/27/17, 05:06 AM
V6 Member

Apparently I misread the OP's post, as I thought he was referring to an actual GT OEM grill.. If the grill he's interested in from e-bay is an aftermarket grill made to fit a V6 bumper cover, then he should be just fine..

However as you mentioned, he will need additional parts to wire up the fog lights correctly
You read it right, I thought the ebay grill was the same as a GT....so I was just asking if anyone who changed theirs out was wanting to sell it...Thanks for helping.

Paul
Old 7/27/17, 09:15 PM

Thanks for clarifying