05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

GT/CS Side Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/07, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
GT/CS Side Scoops

For those of you that have purchased and installed the **factory** side scoops (not the CDC ones) have you noticed any problems or issues with them?

I'm on the fence right now. I recently bought a GT500 spoiler from KC and of course it needs to be painted. I am thinking that if I am going to the trouble and expense to get my SPOILER painted, should I not invest in side scoops and have them painted at the same time as well?

Problem is... ARE THEY WORTH IT? Do you scoop owners LIKE them, or do they appear "tacked on" like my 2002 SN95 scoops?

I know that holes have to be drilled, etc... but I am looking for some input from you guys to help me decide either way.
Old 1/2/07, 04:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KC has just informed that mine were shipped today. I had the same concerns, but decided to go with them. I don't plan to drill. Upon talking with Kevin, he suggested to go with heavier 3M tape. All other after-market side scoops are connected that way, so it should work. I already have mirror covers and window side louvers attached with 3M tape- so far so good. Once I get them painted I'll update you on the installation results
Old 1/4/07, 12:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Need your input guys! (and girls) BEFORE I reach for my credit card and call KC again to spend more money...
Old 1/4/07, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tape that comes with the scoops is plenty strong to hold the scoop in place if you decide not to use the fasteners. The fasteners used are more for location than retention.
Old 1/4/07, 12:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those scoop's would never see my car
Old 1/4/07, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the GT\CS and I personally like the look of the car. It makes it standout more. I would go for it.
Old 1/4/07, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mwilson7
The tape that comes with the scoops is plenty strong to hold the scoop in place if you decide not to use the fasteners. The fasteners used are more for location than retention.
Don't count on it... I was informed by KC that some people have lost their side scoops as they did not adhere well with the supplied tape. Some have had problems with them becoming lose on the GT/CS(factory installed) including KC himself. I'm not taking any chances
Old 1/4/07, 06:32 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I personally like them on everyone elses car I've seen them on. I've been on the fence as to whether I wanted them or not too...
Old 1/4/07, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like them! Personally I would not just use the sticky tape. I drilled the holes on my rear CDC spoiler, Roush scoop, so why not the side scoops since that is how they are supposed to be mounted. Do what you want when it comes to mounting them, afterall it's your car~
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS Side Scoops-133.jpg   GT/CS Side Scoops-131.jpg  
Old 1/4/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

The scopes are a pain to keep clean (faux intake panel). I would pass. I feel the same way about the hood scoop.
Old 1/4/07, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally, I think the Ford Scoops are the best on the market. If you like scoops, don't hessitate to go with the Ford GT/CS scoops. Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS Side Scoops-fireisl.jpg   GT/CS Side Scoops-scoop.jpg  
Old 1/5/07, 07:33 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I'm on my 2nd set and Ford dealer has ordered the 3rd set. They can't get the passenger side to stay tight.There is a 1/4" gap and its worst on the bottom. The car is going in next week to fix it again plus the dents on my hood from the passing Limerock truck.
Old 1/5/07, 07:52 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by odiaz
Personally, I think the Ford Scoops are the best on the market. If you like scoops, don't hessitate to go with the Ford GT/CS scoops. Here is a picture of mine.
I have a set of 3D Carbon scoops on my GT and I swear they are identical to the C/S units...mine are attached with 3M tape and have been on the car for 11 months. They are still tight and in great condition. Hope this helps.
Old 1/7/07, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Don't count on it... I was informed by KC that some people have lost their side scoops as they did not adhere well with the supplied tape. Some have had problems with them becoming lose on the GT/CS(factory installed) including KC himself. I'm not taking any chances
You're probably not installing them correctly then. You need to make sure that the surface is perfectly clean and has NO wax or similar material on it. Make sure you use an alcohol wipe right before you install in. Then you have to wet it out properly to make sure it sticks properly.

Replacing the existing tape with thicker tape is not the solution.
Old 1/7/07, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

You're probably not installing them correctly then. You need to make sure that the surface is perfectly clean and has NO wax or similar material on it. Make sure you use an alcohol wipe right before you install in. Then you have to wet it out properly to make sure it sticks properly.

So ford isn't installing them correctly?
Old 1/7/07, 11:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I havn't attempted to install them yet... What do you mean, "Then you have to wet it out properly..."
Old 1/8/07, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, thanks guys for your input! I pulled the trigger on them today, KC is THE MAN!!!

I think they will go good with my GT500 spoiler and forthcoming Chin Spoiler...
Old 1/8/07, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

They came in today. They look good. Now I have to get them painted. KC hooked me up with some posters, calender, and some other nice gifts. THANKS KC! You da man . I'm still debating on drilling. Leaning toward...NO. A template is supplied if you decide to drill. The instructions state that PM-12-A should be used in the drilled holes. Whats PM-12-A? .The attached tape definitely doesn't look like it'll hold. It is too recessed. The surface will not have enough contact area. I'll be buying some thicker 3M. Thanks again KC
Old 1/9/07, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Deric
So ford isn't installing them correctly?
That is a possibility......

PM-12-A is a type of rust inhibitor
Old 1/9/07, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

To drill or not to drill ?

Quick Reply: GT/CS Side Scoops