05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/07, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...

Got my 08 GT/CS Vert about 2 weeks ago and there was a noticable gap between the top of the scoop and the vehicle.
Before I took delivery, the dealership ordered me a new one, which they said would take about a week. Well 2+ weeks later I called to inquire, and they told me it came in today, but they have to send it out to have it painted!
For a replacement part from Ford, don't you think it should have come from the factory the correct color? Performance White in my case.
Also what's invloved in replacing this side scoop, and how long should it take?

ALSO
When you push down on YOUR rear wing, does it make a popping sound, like it's sticking and unsticking?
Thanks
LJS
Old 10/22/07, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The scoops have to be unbolted and rebolted on your vehicle, they will have to remove interior trim panel. As for the spoiler, have you dealer check the studs and nuts for you as well.
Old 10/22/07, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShowGT
The scoops have to be unbolted and rebolted on your vehicle, they will have to remove interior trim panel. As for the spoiler, have you dealer check the studs and nuts for you as well.
The side scoops are not bolted on ... it's a combination of 3M tape and two Xmas Tree style fasteners. They do not have to do anything from inside the car ...
Old 10/22/07, 11:42 AM
Authorized Advertiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there,

Most of fhe parts dont come painted - they are PTM (Paint To Match) parts. The correct color can be misleading also. For instance, my understanding from the body shop manager at the Ford dealer I just came from is that there are actually 4 different shades of Performance White. I have seen examples of this (in Alloy) on a customers Saleen where he ordered a part in the correct color - but its not a 100% match.

Replacing the scoops is easy. Snap into place pretty much (along wth 3M tape).

Page
Old 10/28/07, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
Hey there,

Most of fhe parts dont come painted - they are PTM (Paint To Match) parts. The correct color can be misleading also. For instance, my understanding from the body shop manager at the Ford dealer I just came from is that there are actually 4 different shades of Performance White. I have seen examples of this (in Alloy) on a customers Saleen where he ordered a part in the correct color - but its not a 100% match.

Replacing the scoops is easy. Snap into place pretty much (along wth 3M tape).

Page
Your right on the differnt performance white. Got my rear window luvors from Ford dealer put on by their guy and its a slight differnt white for sure. A touch of grey in it I think. Bummer
Old 10/28/07, 11:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My bad, only ever seen maybe 3 sets of these and figured they were studs.
Old 10/29/07, 12:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your color code "HP"?
Old 10/30/07, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

The window sticker says:

EXTERIOR
PERFORMANCE WHITE CLEARCOAT
Old 10/31/07, 07:28 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't expect the part to fix your problem. After 3 replacements I gave up. Drivers side is nice and tight, passenger side has a 1/4" gap after every replacement. You can put light pressure on the top corner and it will look perfect but you can't get it to stay. Look at the inside of the Scoop. There is a flat lip that the tape goes on but it ends about 1" from each side of the corner. There is nothing to make the corner stick. I suggested to the Ford Body man to fill the corner with body Filler and make it even so the tape would have something to stick to. He was thinking of doing that this winter but wouldn't give me a firm awsner
Old 11/2/07, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Darrell,
You think you could snap a pic of your side scoop for me,
I want to make sure I'm not being too picky about having the dealer replace it.
The new side scoop is at the dealer now and I'm wondering if they'll make it worse. Here's pic of it as it was delivered new on the drivers side, the passenger side is fine.
Thanks!
LJS
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...-sidescoop.jpg  
Old 11/2/07, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I installed GT/CS scoops on my car and had the same problem. The Driver side fit perfectly. The Passenger side had the same gap as the picture above. I removed the passenger side and reapplied 3M tape but it still had the same gap. I ended up taking them off and selling them on eBay ... luckily I didn't drill the holes and just taped them on. The problem is where the tape is secured on the back is rather flimsy and will allow the scoop to pull away no matter how well it is fastened.
Old 11/3/07, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

What would you do in this situation...

Update on GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...
What would you do in this situation...

So my dealer informed me the new side scoop came in and it was painted and ready to be installed.
So off I went to the dealer this morning, and I had a feeling it was not going to be a good experience.
Once it was replaced the Service Manager came out and and said, Sir, we have a problem...
The replacement side scoop was a worse fit than the one that shipped from the factory, and just for fun the color was way off!
The car is Performance White Clearcoat.
Now the service manager tells me they can do nothing else, that he would need to send it to a local body shop to remove the interior panels to access the clip and try to pull it in. Plus remove the new scoop, and have it repainted.
So I drive home, still in shock I guess, once my wife sees the car, she notices the different color side scoop, and now I'm really ticked off.
I went back to the dealer and told them I don't want my car at a body shop, lord knows how many rattles I'd have after taking my car apart with no guarantee of a better fit. I told them to just put the original correct color side scoop back on. Well they couldn't do that because they couldn't get the old tape off. See the photo below
So I told him to order me a new one, and get it painted the proper color.
(I also took my original side scoop with me so I'd have a color correct one, should this whole situation take a turn for the worse)

Now, I pose a question to all of you:
Would you leave well enough alone and just accept an imperfect fit assuming they get the color right with the new part.
OR
Have the dealership exhaust all means to try and get this done right.

Now, I'm not crazy about giving the dealership my gt/cs to handoff to an autobody shop to beat on.

Your thoughts?

I've also attached a few pics of my original driver sidescoop in case anyone has not seen how's it fastened to the vehicle.

Thanks
LJS
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...-photo.jpg   GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...-photo-1.jpg  
Old 11/3/07, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is the only picture I took of mine ... since they were only on there for about 2 weeks before the gap annoyed the crap out of me .... Whoever is making these for Ford must have a flaw in the right side mold. I even tried to re-arch mine with a heatgun hoping that would help but it didn't.

Old 11/3/07, 05:22 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Gap??? Gap?? What Gap????!!!!! I'm the only one at the Ford Dealer that thought the Gap looked bad. They wanted to put a Heat Lamp on it and try to Mold (Melt) the gap closer to the boby. I'm living with it for now. The Gap looks just like your picture.

Old 11/11/07, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a note on the shades of Performance White. You are right in the different colors,the dealer hear had a PW Gt and a Shelby Gt side by side and they both had the same paint code but one looked almost cream color and the other was very bright white. Figures be careful on the color match!
Old 11/12/07, 08:28 PM

For the record - The interior trim panels do not have to be removed to replace the side scoops - I work for Ford here in Michigan, the AAI plant where the mustang is built is 5 miles from my house.. When I ordered my car I got in touch with the plant manager of AAI and was fortunate enough to watch my car go down the final assembly line. I have pictures and all!
After about 2 months of owning it this past summer I was not happy with the paint match (Performance white) of the side scoops and the rear bumper cover... I again contacted the plant manager and she set up a date for me to bring my pony back to the factory and they replaced the side scoops and the rear bumper cover.. All factory painted so the dealer did not repaint my old bumper and scoops!!! I learned that the side scoops are ordered by the factory already painted - service parts come to the dealer unpainted. The factory paints the bumpers but not the hood scoop or the deck lid spoiler....

As far as TSB's - if anyone needs to know I have access to the FORD PRO TECHNICIAN website and all of the TSB's are posted there - I can easily cut and paste them to this forum.

Shawn
Old 11/13/07, 05:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

FYI ... I was at a car show this weekend and saw a new Shelby GT there. It's passenger side scoop had pulled back so far that you could actually see the tape ... Ford really missed the boat on the quality of these scoops ...
Old 11/13/07, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Shawn,
The paint code on my door jamb just says HP, the replacement side scoop they put on is much brighter than the rest of the car. If there are 3 different types of white, are there 3 different paint codes?
See attached door jamb pic
LJS
Attached Thumbnails GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...-doorjamb1.jpg  
Old 11/13/07, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Quoting Shawns post:
"When I ordered my car I got in touch with the plant manager of AAI and was fortunate enough to watch my car go down the final assembly line. I have pictures and all!"

Would love to see your GT/CS getting built...
Post those pics
LJS

Quick Reply: GT/CS Side Scoop replacement...