05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Front Rotor swap, have ??????

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/07, 06:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Rotor swap, have ??????

I just ordered a set of prorotor's for my car. I have almost 6K on it and it is mostly highway miles. Is the install straight forward? Just unbolt the caliper and go for it. or do I have to install new pads and bleed the brakes?

I really should not have to, but just wondering.
Old 2/6/07, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yup it's that simple. No need to bleed the brakes or anything crazy. Check-out TacoBill's write-up.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=507
Old 2/6/07, 08:21 AM
Cobra R Member

No all you should have to do compress the pads a little maybe, as the rotors will be new, and the pads are already pushed in a bit. so just remove the wheels, remove the calipers, I think they have some hold down type washers on the lug studs sometimes to hold the rotor in place. Remove that with a pair of dikes, remove the rotors. Sometimes the new rotors are covered in a protective coating, so make sure to clean them real good with some brake kleen etc. Install the new rotors, maybe slightly score the pads with some sandpaper to give them a newer edge, just slightly thou, reinstall calipers, pump up the brakes, drive. Take it easy for the first few stops and let the pads get used to the new rotors. I do recommend slightly scuffing them with sandpaper thou, I always had good results. You may want to lube up any sliding points with some lithium grease as well. This and good sliding calipers helps with reducing noise/squeaking. Good luck pretty straight forward.
Old 2/6/07, 08:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Sodaman, I've got a quick question for you: Did your StopTech rotors have the protective coating on them. Mine didn't seem to have any coating on them, so I just bolted them up and went.

Just looking for confirmation from someone with the same brakes as I do.
Old 2/6/07, 08:48 AM
Cobra R Member

To tell you the truth they were still in the packaging when I dropped them off this morning. They looked like they did through the plastic, but it usually isnt that much, but either way I would always clean them good with brake kleen to make sure. Sorry just not sure, dealer is installing them as we speak. I was too lazy, but while they are doing the rear end they already have them off anyway so was trying to do as much as possible under the same cost of labor.
Old 2/6/07, 09:17 AM
Cobra R Member

I wiped them down with a rag before install, so I probably got most of it off anyway, if there even was any.

Thanks anyway
Old 2/6/07, 02:03 PM
Cobra R Member

I will spray it down with brake cleaner and wipe it down.
Old 2/6/07, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sodaman
No all you should have to do compress the pads a little maybe, as the rotors will be new, and the pads are already pushed in a bit. so just remove the wheels, remove the calipers, I think they have some hold down type washers on the lug studs sometimes to hold the rotor in place. Remove that with a pair of dikes, remove the rotors. Sometimes the new rotors are covered in a protective coating, so make sure to clean them real good with some brake kleen etc. Install the new rotors, maybe slightly score the pads with some sandpaper to give them a newer edge, just slightly thou, reinstall calipers, pump up the brakes, drive. Take it easy for the first few stops and let the pads get used to the new rotors. I do recommend slightly scuffing them with sandpaper thou, I always had good results. You may want to lube up any sliding points with some lithium grease as well. This and good sliding calipers helps with reducing noise/squeaking. Good luck pretty straight forward.
one more thing...I had to run to autozone to rent the tool to screw in the rear pistons ( emergency brake thing) to get my calipers to go over the rotor with the pads. fwiw
Old 2/6/07, 06:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My brand new R1 Concept rotors are supposed to have a protective coating but they have rust already! I had a guy tell me the other day that you should paint the rotors with a high temp spray paint and then sand it off with a fine sandpaper. The pads then will wipe everything off except the the slots and or holes. Sounds like an idea.