05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Front license plate mount

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/07, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front license plate mount

I just placed my order today, and already have a question…

Texas requires a front license plate; I did not see a code to order this in the order guide. Is this a standard feature, or was I missing something?

Jeff
Old 4/17/07, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LurchII
Texas requires a front license plate; I did not see a code to order this in the order guide. Is this a standard feature, or was I missing something?[/FONT][/SIZE]

Jeff
Front plates are normally attached by drilling holes in the bumper. Ugh.

Contact Ben (his member name here is Fastrack). He makes a slick bracket that clamps underneath the bumper so no holes are needed. You can easily remove the plate (for shows, cleaning, etc.).

BTW, I just put on my plates and found a nice, thin chrome frame. I'll be out of town until the weekend, but can post a pic when I get back, if you want to see how the plate/bracket looks.
Old 4/17/07, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

I have Ben's brackets and they are very slick, very impressed with them. He's a great person to deal with too.
Old 4/17/07, 02:12 PM

I have Ben's bracket also and live in Houston. It's a nice piece of work, and Ben is a good guy. The V6 front bumper has a place for the plate. The GT does not. When I went back to the dealer to pick up the plates he came out with a cordless drill and some evil looking self tapping screws. He put the rear plate on and I stopped him before he could "do" the front. I actually keep the plate and bracket in the trunk. If (when) I'm stopped I'll try "last time I was at the carwash I forgot to put it back on". Enjoy!
Old 4/17/07, 02:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got pulled over for it two days ago and blamed it on my salesperson

I want one that mounts it below the bumper in the lower grille area. Back in the day, I had a spring mounted one on the Miata that flipped flat into the 'mouth' when driving and actually made the car very hard to get on radar with the headlights down(before laser). I got pulled over and the cop came around front and I was like 'what do you mean no front tag', he went around front and there it was sitting straight up.... Very 007
Old 4/17/07, 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Definitely get a hold of Ben. Here's his custom plate thread page: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49099

I ran my baby w/o a front plate for a year+ while living in NYC. When I moved to NJ I had to get inspected so I ordered Ben's bracket just for the inspection but then just left it on. Looks good, no holes in my front bumper and saves me the worry/aggravation of getting a ticket.
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate mount-picture-006.jpg   Front license plate mount-picture-009.jpg   Front license plate mount-picture-010.jpg   Front license plate mount-picture-015.jpg  
Old 4/18/07, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LurchII
I just placed my order today, and already have a question…

Texas requires a front license plate; I did not see a code to order this in the order guide. Is this a standard feature, or was I missing something?

Jeff
My car didn't come with one, but I ordered the factory bracket that fits well.
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate mount-license-plate-bracket-install-8-.jpg  
Old 4/18/07, 07:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120

I want one that mounts it below the bumper in the lower grille area. Back in the day, I had a spring mounted one on the Miata that flipped flat into the 'mouth' when driving and actually made the car very hard to get on radar with the headlights down(before laser). I got pulled over and the cop came around front and I was like 'what do you mean no front tag', he went around front and there it was sitting straight up.... Very 007
Well it ain't 007 but...
Attachment 24398Attachment 24399Attachment 24400
Its held on with heavy duty velcro straps that are around the lower grill plastic.
The last picture has the velcro circled in red and the green circle shows where I put a little felt on the back to protect the paint.
Good even at very high speed and comes off in a minute when you want no plate.
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate mount-front-hood-up.jpg   Front license plate mount-plateholder2.jpg   Front license plate mount-plateholder3.jpg  
Old 4/18/07, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i am just going to say do not trust ford for putting in a licence plate, they do not use a drill to make the holes rather they just use self tapping screws and put the plate on, i am really starting to look into a roush or take-off bumper
Old 4/18/07, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my car so early in the game, when I visited the dealer looking to purchase the plate frame, there wasn't even one offered. I left the plate off, but then got stopped and was told if he saw me again, I'd have a ticket. I went home and drilled the holes. I still can draw a tear or two thinking about that day.

Old 4/19/07, 12:08 AM
GT Member

Just tell your salesman prior to delivery you dont want the holes predrilled, this is something the salesman usually does for you anyway.
Old 4/19/07, 06:39 AM
TMS Legacy Member

Mine came from the factory with the front plate mount.
Old 4/19/07, 07:06 AM

I live in Ohio, which requires the front plate too.
However, been driving without one since August.
I suppose that I will deal with the issue once I get pulled over.
In the meantime, it looks too good without it!!
Old 4/19/07, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
My car didn't come with one, but I ordered the factory bracket that fits well.
Does it get screwed on the front of the bumper as well? Do you have the p/n?
Old 4/19/07, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sycd
cool, I want that bracket too....
Old 4/19/07, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kevinb120

Hey.. I was actually thinking of reversing the bend on mine so it would hang down instead of up, wouldn't be hard to do.. Not sure how it would look though.
Old 4/19/07, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the look under the bumper. Looks like it will sit just a hair above the Legend splitter too.. Fastrack, see what it looks like 'flipped'. you would probably have to change the holes so that the upper lip of the plate is slightly higher then the bracket to hide them.... I'd try for a happy medium that gets the top of the plate about 1" higher then the bottom of the bumper.

I have never seen that factory plastic stand-off bracket before either I am sure it is just riveted into the bumper like all the others are. The factory 'frame' types don't look so bad as opposed to the plate-screwed-to-bumper look. I fogot, that must be the GT500 bracket.
Old 4/19/07, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Quote:

cool, I want that bracket too....
It does screw in to the front bumper. If you already installed your plate, the bracket will cover the plate holes. Then you mount the plate to the bracket. I couldn't find the receipt for it but any ford dealer should be able to look it up and order it for you. Here's a couple of pics of the bracket itself:
Attached Thumbnails Front license plate mount-license-plate-bracket-install-2-.jpg   Front license plate mount-license-plate-bracket-install-4-.jpg  
Old 4/19/07, 07:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob99b5
It does screw in to the front bumper. If you already installed your plate, the bracket will cover the plate holes. Then you mount the plate to the bracket. I couldn't find the receipt for it but any ford dealer should be able to look it up and order it for you. Here's a couple of pics of the bracket itself:
Last I heard if you lived in a mandatory front plate state, the dealer could give you one for free at time of purchase.
They ought to anyway if you want it.
I think it looks better than the "bare plate on the bumper" look.
Old 4/20/07, 12:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's one I found that hides away for carshow's or bank robbery's.
http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-12526-25-0.html

Quick Reply: Front license plate mount