05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fresh Mods Installed - LOTS of Pics & a Mini Walkthru!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/09, 09:46 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh Mods Installed - LOTS of Pics & a Mini Walkthru!!

This is kinda long because I figured I'd do a mini write up for those of you out there thinking about installing the Roush spoiler. After doing this I'm so glad I didn't pay a shop $200 to drill a few holes and mount it. Once you use the center punch to mark the holes and drill the first hole all of the stress is gone and the whole process is done quickly after that. I would recommend having another set of hands around to help with some of the steps. My fiancee was my extra set of hands and she did a great job. I also installed Spectre Speed Reusable Air Filter. What do you guys think of my handy work? Thanks for reading!!

2010 GT Take Off Mufflers...

Picked Up

Prep Work Done...

2 Coats Of Primer

2 Coats of Rustoleum Rust Proof 2000 Degree Paint

Tape Removed...

Side By Side Comparison w/v6 Stock Muffler

I'll post more pics tomorrow when I get some sun...I'm very impressed with the difference in sound.

On to the next mod.....

Roush Spoiler Install - My Attempt at a mini walkthru
Stock Spoiler

Step #1 - Remove Stock Spoiler and Clean Rear Decklid(Use Goo Gone followed by good ol' soap & water)

Step #2 - This is optional, but I had a ton of water spots under my factory spoiler, so I used a Clay Bar after cleaning off the gunk(If you do this be sure to go over the area that was clayed with a wax of your choice to ensure paint is protected. I used Megs Quick Spray Wax and a soft microfiber towel)
Water Spots

Clay Bar Kit

After Using Clay Bar Kit

Step #3 - Cut Out Center Template and Align it using pre-existing holes. FWIW it won't be exactly centered using the holes, which is fine, because you will be widening the factory spoiler holes. Once you're happy tape the template down.

Step #4 - Cut Out the templates for the two side pieces and line them up using the center template as a guide. Once you are happy with placement secure in place with tape.

Step #5 - Once the templates are secure use a Automatic Center Punch to mark the center of the 10 holes to be drilled. now for the hard part....this will bring most of you to tears. This is why i don't have any pics of this part :icon_frown:

Step #6 - Drilling Additional Mounting Holes
- Use 1/8" bit to start all holes(When drilling in the center be sure to go through the underlying support
- Center Spoiler Mounts - Widen all holes with a 7/16" bit
- Side Spoiler Mounts - Widen the 1/8" Holes with a 5/16" bit

Step #7 - Do a test fit to ensure everything is lining up properly and fits to your liking.(Tip - This helped me out later in the process. Instead of using a 5/16" bit for the sides I used a 7/16" bit so I could have room to adjust the sides. Doing this will give you a little wiggle room later for making adjustments prior to tightening everything down)

Step #8 - Assuming you are ok with the test fitting remove the templates and discard.

Step #9 - Apply Rust Inhibitor to all of the holes to prevent possible rusting of exposed metal

Step #10 - Apply tape and foam pads to underside of spoiler per Roush instructions(Center only shown)

Step #11 - Conduct another test fitting prior to removing tape backing. Once you are satisfied remove tape backing and lightly press center into place.

Step #12 - Per instructions place and tighten all nuts & bolts.

Step #13 - Step back and take some photos...admire the hard work and the tears you shed after drilling into your car!!!
Old 11/16/09, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Nice walk through! Very cool I like the look of the black Roush spoiler! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11/16/09, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

nice. man id really like to know if theres a difference between the '10 GT mufflers and 05 GT mufflers. anyways im sure ur car sounds more aggressive is that the color u chose the have the spoiler painted or are u eventually going to paint it the color of the car? (might be a stupid question judging the obvious clearcoat shine)
Old 11/16/09, 10:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
nice. man id really like to know if theres a difference between the '10 GT mufflers and 05 GT mufflers. anyways im sure ur car sounds more aggressive is that the color u chose the have the spoiler painted or are u eventually going to paint it the color of the car? (might be a stupid question judging the obvious clearcoat shine)

Yeah, I got it painted Black (Ford Factory Color Code UA). I'm accenting the car with black. I like the look of the black 'n white contrast. I tried to find out if there was a difference, but everyone just kept telling me that the tips are a little longer and that's it. But just like the 05-09 GT takeoffs they are leaps and bounds above the stock v6 muffler.
Old 11/17/09, 05:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice job ... And the satisfaction of doing it yourself adds to it for you I'm sure ...
Old 11/17/09, 05:38 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job and walk through. Isn't drilling holes in a car fun
Old 11/17/09, 06:04 AM
GT Member

How about some better pictures of the overall look of the vehicle afterward. Its hard to see it from that last picture.
Old 11/17/09, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Good work, now we need some outdoor pics of the car overall.
Old 11/17/09, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Good work, now we need some outdoor pics of the car overall.
+1 as it would be interesting to see a profile shot of that contrasting spoiler
Old 11/17/09, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Look very nice, now get rid of the dealer sticker.
Old 11/17/09, 08:29 AM
GT Member

+1
Old 11/17/09, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the tips on the '10 GT Mufflers are 2" longer than the '05-09 tips. I'm curious to see what these are going to look like OPs car.

Post pics of the mufflers installed!
Old 11/17/09, 01:18 PM
GT Member

Just after Step 7 he shows the picture of the Tip coming out if i'm not mistaken.
Old 11/17/09, 02:04 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I managed to take a couple shots today in the daytime so I thought I would post 'em up.

Old 11/17/09, 02:08 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Diggin' it

IMO you REALLY need a rear blackout panel!
Old 11/17/09, 02:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
Diggin' it

IMO you REALLY need a rear blackout panel!
Thanks! U and my fiancee are of the same opinion. She wanted just a regular blackout...I however want the honeycomb blackout to match the front. That is definitely on the list. I'm taking a break with the exterior until spring. This winter sometime I'm doing a flush 'n fill of the radiator, transmission fluid drain 'n fill, new cabin filter, fuel filter change, screamin demon, livewires & new plugs,
Old 11/17/09, 04:22 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Honeycomb is the only way to go. And make sure it comes out to be flush with the tails, not recessed like the actual trunk panel is. That's a pet peeve of mine
Old 11/17/09, 06:38 PM
GT Member

I was looking at the one on AM...I didn't know they had different kinds like that. I figured they all were flush with the tails. Is that not the case?
Old 11/17/09, 09:38 PM
GT Member

The black out pannel would even cover up the dealer decal!
Old 11/17/09, 11:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks awesome. You forgot to include step 1.5. Drink out of anger at how well 3M automotive grade adhesive does its **** job.

Looks great though. I really like the contrast you have there too. The Roush spoiler looks a lot more involved than I thought.

Quick Reply: Fresh Mods Installed - LOTS of Pics & a Mini Walkthru!!