05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Fixing chips in my paint

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/07 | 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Fixing chips in my paint

so over the past few years, i've accumulated some pretty deep chips and scratches in my paint. ford paint blows. anyhow, i went and bought a bottle of ford black touch up paint.

my question is, can anyone tell me how to correctly apply the touch up paint so it doesn't look like complete crap? if not, can anyone point me in the direction of a how to for this kind of thing. search didn't find anything on this exact subject. any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.
Old 7/3/07 | 01:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

believe me man no matter how hard you try touch up paint will be just that, some people will not even notice it but you will always know it is right there staring you in the face, i have that problem and i know where every single touch up spot is so i am just going to get everything that is chipped spot painted at ford
Old 7/3/07 | 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did a search on Google regarding car paint chip repairing and there was alot of info. So I would start there. Basically don't just buy the touch up paint and blob it on. It seems most of the articles mention cleaning out the chips and then putting on dilute layers of the touchup paint carefully over a couple of days. It also seems that the brush that comes with the touchup paint is too large. You might want to buy a smaller hobby brush so you don't go over the good paint. If you go slow and take your time it should look decent and hard to notice.
Old 7/3/07 | 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

You might want to look into this:

http://www.langka.com/

I haven't tried it, but I almost bought it for my '05, but I ended up trading it in for my '06 and didn't need to buy it anymore... I still want to get it to try it and probably will when I start getting paint chips on this car...
Old 7/3/07 | 05:14 PM
GTR Member

i'm taking mine to the Lincoln\mercury body shop here in Tampa. They do awesome work:In fact,I don't ever go to Ford service dept anymore.
Old 7/3/07 | 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Black is by far the easiest color to repair paint chips.

I've used this method on my black vehicles w/ great success :

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=27

Unigrit is highly recommended and can be found at auto paint supply stores. Don't be afraid to do this, it's relatively easy for a DIYer, start with a chip in a fairly unnoticed area, say behind a wheel well. I also recommend the other 3M products mentioned in the write up as they are staples in my detailing bin. The wicking action of the tooth pick has worked for me as well.

HTH
Old 7/4/07 | 12:53 AM
Bullitt Member

citizen, thats just what i needed. i knew you guys would come through. thanks all.