05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Engine cleaning advice?

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/10, 11:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cleaning advice?

I've been meaning to do this for a long time....clean up my engine and engine bay a bit. I have no idea what my first step would be. I dont know what products to use or what to cover up and such so this is where you knowledgeable guys come in and save the day! What kind of things do you all do to keep under the hood squeaky clean?
Old 2/28/10, 07:53 PM
GT Member

bump
Old 3/1/10, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, a lot will depend on what you have under the hood. As you can see from the photo, I've got my fair share.

Some of the degreasers are pretty harsh on stuff, especially bare aluminum, so be careful. Simple Green works really well with a spray on - hose off proposition. I've heard that it can lead to hydrogen embrittlement on hardened pieces, but that was someone that dealt with Navy aircraft. If you have anything that's anodized you need to be very careful - most all cleaners will remove the coloring!

In terms of what to cover, I've never covered anything. I make sure the engine is warm and that I soak up any standing water aroung the coils, etc, but that's about it. If everything is mechanically sound in terms of wiring connections you shouldn't have any issues. Just be sure to remember about the standing water!

BTW, which black Saleens do you have on the car? I'm looking for a photo of these on a vehicle.

Last edited by Dread53; 3/1/10 at 07:48 AM.
Old 3/1/10, 07:59 AM

I tend to cover things with foil or plastic wrap if I'm spraying it down with an APC and rinsing. Alternator, coils, ecu, filter elements especially.

As far as what to use, I use Meguiar's D103 All Purpose Cleaner because it can be diluted to whatever ratio you want. I use 4:1 (water/product) for engine bays, wheels, tires, wheel wells, exhaust and so on. Spray it on, agitate with various brushes, rinse it off, dry, protect plastics with your favorite dressing, protect paint with your favorite sealant.
Old 3/1/10, 09:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dread53

BTW, which black Saleens do you have on the car? I'm looking for a photo of these on a vehicle.

I have these "saleen-style" wheels, but mine were powder-coated black(pretty poorly if you ask me) by the guy I bought them off of. I'm sure the ones you have pictured will look fairly similar to mine. They would look great.
Attached Thumbnails Engine cleaning advice?-dsc00379.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 3/1/10, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the photos.

I have the chrome variants on the car, and being a guy that grew up when the Cragar S/S was the baddest wheel on the planet I kinda have to stick with the shiny stuff. It's tough being old......
Old 3/2/10, 05:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
you can use a leaf blower to blow excess water off your engine when your done.
Old 3/5/10, 02:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dread53
Thanks for the photos.

I have the chrome variants on the car, and being a guy that grew up when the Cragar S/S was the baddest wheel on the planet I kinda have to stick with the shiny stuff. It's tough being old......
I agree, For me, black wheels don't cut it. I guess I just don't get the black thing. No offense to anyone intended. Wheels just need to be bright.