05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Do mods void waranty?

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/05, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering if MODS will void your waranty on the car. I can see fins being ok, but what about sequential tail lights, air intakes, hoods, etc???
Old 9/7/05, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some dealers will try to deny everything if they see a mod and some are ok. The truth is that as long as the mod does not directly cause the malfunction you are ok and it is the dealers responsibility to prove that the mod caused the problem.

Google Magnusson-Moss warranty act of 1975 for all the legal info.
Old 9/7/05, 01:18 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well we have discussed this a lot and it comes down to the dealer. According to the policy if something breaks under warranty and the dealer thinks it is because of something you have done, well, they have to prove your mod is what caused the problem. Some shops told me that once I lowered my car the warranty was void. So I asked if that was the entire warranty or suspension. They said entire to which I asked "ok, I lower the car and a piston ring cracks. How are the 2 related?" After scratching thier heads they just say "Warranty void" but I could definately fight them on it.

Where I take my car, not only do they not care about mods but they can't wait to see what I do next. When I got my paper work back for the tensioner replacement they even put on the work order 1 hour no charge for modifying thier hoist so they could get it to fit under my car
Old 9/8/05, 06:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

sequentials - No

Intake - No

Hood - No
Old 9/8/05, 06:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Basically in regards to engine/emissions the rule of thumb is any mod between the catalysts and mass airflow sensor is taboo. But the caveat is that the mod MUST be proven to cause a failure in most cases.

Suspension or other mods may affect warranty coverage of the components which they interact with, i.e. installing a shaker hood and expecting Ford to cover corrosion caused by the hole cut to clear the shaker.

In my experience there is a LOT of latitude shown by the bulk of knowledgeable dealers towards mods.
Old 9/8/05, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

My father once had a dealership deny him service. 1 week later + a written legal threat = fixed car