05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Crazy idea for a shaker

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/07, 11:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy idea for a shaker

Hey everyone, i had an idea but i dont know if its possible. So i thought i'd put it out here to see if anyone knows if it might be. I really like the larger fake hood scoops, but dont like that they are fake. So i was thinking, would it be possible to put a shaker hood scoop on your mustang and then cover it with the larger fake hood scoop? I'm not sure if I could find the a fake hood scoop that would fit over the shaker, and if i could, would it just look silly being so high off the hood? I havent gotten to see to many shakers so i cant make a good picture in my mind if this would work. What does everyone think?
Old 3/28/07, 11:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RomaTX
Hey everyone, i had an idea but i dont know if its possible. So i thought i'd put it out here to see if anyone knows if it might be. I really like the larger fake hood scoops, but dont like that they are fake. So i was thinking, would it be possible to put a shaker hood scoop on your mustang and then cover it with the larger fake hood scoop? I'm not sure if I could find the a fake hood scoop that would fit over the shaker, and if i could, would it just look silly being so high off the hood? I havent gotten to see to many shakers so i cant make a good picture in my mind if this would work. What does everyone think?
While the idea is definitely unique, I would have to vote no.
I just don't think it would look good. There are some aftermarket hoods that incorporate routing for functional intakes. Do some searching.
Better yet, just install the Shaker, it's one of the best looking scoops out there.
Old 3/28/07, 05:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually one of these days that is my intent to put the shaker package on without the scoop part that sticks thru the hood. Open the hood up under my scoop and seal the hood opening to the shaker with foam as many cars did in the old days. I have the CDC hood scoop.
Old 3/28/07, 06:01 PM
V6 Member

Thats a better idea. I think i might just have to steal it from you
Old 3/28/07, 09:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

guys i would hate to say this but Fang Performance already made a hood that looks like a shaker but without it being attached to the motor and it has ducts that run under the hood to the air box or filter
Old 3/28/07, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it then may look like the old style McDonalds garbge can lids that looked like huge brown scoops . Now theres a thought ?
Old 3/29/07, 05:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
guys i would hate to say this but Fang Performance already made a hood that looks like a shaker but without it being attached to the motor and it has ducts that run under the hood to the air box or filter
That hood looks pretty good. But is $1200 for an unpainted hood about the average price for a hood? Seems a bit expensive to me.
Old 3/29/07, 05:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
Actually one of these days that is my intent to put the shaker package on without the scoop part that sticks thru the hood. Open the hood up under my scoop and seal the hood opening to the shaker with foam as many cars did in the old days. I have the CDC hood scoop.
The difference being I dont particularly care for the shaker scoop, but I love the 67 style hood scoop from CDC. The CDC Shaker is ducted to the air box.
And speaking of Fang.... Is anyone slower at actually releasing their products?
I like the mystery 7 hood package they have but gave up on it ever being priced and released.
Old 3/29/07, 06:07 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Cragar Special (whatever they called it) had a big hood scoop on top, and the CDC shaker underneath. Saw it at SEMA, and I might even have a pic of it. Ah, here it is. I had them open the hood for me to take the pic of the shaker.
Attached Thumbnails Crazy idea for a shaker-cragar_2.jpg   Crazy idea for a shaker-crager_1.jpg  
Old 3/30/07, 04:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
The Cragar Special (whatever they called it) had a big hood scoop on top, and the CDC shaker underneath. Saw it at SEMA, and I might even have a pic of it. Ah, here it is. I had them open the hood for me to take the pic of the shaker.
Jay that is exactly what I am looking for. Who makes it?
Old 3/31/07, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Why would you buy a shaker hood and cover that with another scoop..
If you just and a big scoop and functional, why not go for something like the "boss" style scoop check out this site...

http://alliance247.com/product.php?p...0ecd4e10a35255
Old 3/31/07, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
That looks horrible IMO. The Scoop going over the Shaker is outrageously huge.
Old 4/1/07, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

You're right. I found some better picutes on the CDC site and it is rediculous. I think the best idea would just be to get a functional ram-air hood.
Old 4/1/07, 03:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

My plan is to remove the orange shade part of the Shaker in photo 1.
Seal the hood to the shaker as noted by red arrow in phto 2.
My CDC hood scoop will cover the shaker opening and is already opened up on the front.
Im currently searching salvage yards for a suitable honeycomb grill to make scoop opening grilles from.
Attached Thumbnails Crazy idea for a shaker-shaker_hood1.jpg   Crazy idea for a shaker-1970-amc-amx-4-copy.jpg   Crazy idea for a shaker-shelbyhood3.jpg  
Old 4/1/07, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

If you like that style scoop, why go through all the trouble when you could get a similar functional hood

http://alliance247.com/product.php?p...12c3a85ce64442

https://www.cervinis.com/product.asp...1&id=1208#1166
Old 4/1/07, 06:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

http://www.fangperformance.com/php/i...page&PAGE_id=6

scroll down the the bolt-on scoop
Old 4/1/07, 08:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 5150PONY
If you like that style scoop, why go through all the trouble when you could get a similar functional hood

http://alliance247.com/product.php?p...12c3a85ce64442

https://www.cervinis.com/product.asp...1&id=1208#1166
I "might" have been tempted by either of those hoods (esp Cervini's) had they not been just recently made available. I toyed with the GTR hood which was available before the CDC scoop came out, and similar in looks, but in the end, I just didnt want a fiberglass hood. CDC mentioned making a shaker type system to be used in conjunction with the CDC scoop, but I havent heard it mentioned in some time.

Mine will be a truly unique setup as well.