05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

CDC Ducktail - Installation options

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/09, 09:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CDC Ducktail - Installation options

Question for those who have installed a CDC ducktail - did you drill holes, or cut the mounting studs and use adhesive on the end pieces?

I have a Mystery 7 hood / nose, and we used windshield adhesive to secure the eyebrows and grille ends. No problems - tight, solid fit. The studs were cut off of the grille ends since I did not want to drill holes into the front fascia.

I am not crazy about drilling holes for the side pieces of the ducktail and I am considering using the same adhesive.

Any thoughts?
Old 12/25/09, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
As it's going to be deflecting the air, and air pressure can be rather great, I'm of a mind that unless the adhesive is of space shuttle tile glue (and even then, they have tiles go missing...) that piece needs to be bolted on.

But that's just me thinkin' from a semi-scientific point of view... your eyebrows probably catch air too, and apparently aren't affected by non bolting... although that could also be helped by the placement. As in, it's gettin' pushed on, versus being pushed off, as would be the case for the spoiler.

Worst case is that you glue them, lose them, and then you know... I'd be drilling.

Last edited by houtex; 12/25/09 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12/25/09, 12:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drill the holes or buy a ducktail that doesn't require drilling.
Old 12/25/09, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Having just installed mine, I would drill the holes. One piece of advise, when drilling the lower holes in the trunk lid, make sure you don't drill into the plastic part of the brake light. I just bumped mine when the 1/8" drill went through. Keep the trunk open slightly when drilling!

By the way, I think it is the best spoiler on the market, hands down.
Old 12/25/09, 10:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Now that I have it out of the box, I see that there is hardware for the center piece. The ends have the studs built it. So it looks like poking holes is the way to go... (insert cliche Tiger Woods joke here )

Too cold to fool with it now - probably an early spring project for now. Thanks for the input!
Old 12/25/09, 11:49 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as usual, I'll go against the grain. I couldn't make myself drill on it, and simply used a good adhesive from my local shop. Work fine for a few thousand miles, it's off the car at the moment after an incident while it was at the shop on a lift as I've been to busy/lazy to get it to be repainted. If I had drilled it, I would have a bunch of goofy holes in my lid right now as I drove around, so I was pretty happy I didn't!

I will say the stuff that came with it sucks though. I test fit it with that and none of the corners on the corner pieces would stay flat, they look much nicer with tube adhesive.

Last edited by EagleStroker; 12/25/09 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12/26/09, 06:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Hmmm... Can you elaborate some more on your comments -

"I will say the stuff that came with it sucks though. I test fit it with that and none of the corners on the corner pieces would stay flat, they look much nicer with tube adhesive."

Just curious...
Old 12/29/09, 10:57 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WWSPD? (What would Sarah Palin do?)

Drill baby drill.

I did mine on the 2nd week I owned the car. Been just fine ever since. Once it's on, you'll never want it off.