05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler on 1" lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/11, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler on 1" lowered car?

I read a few reviews and asked around. I know the chin spoiler is low to begin with but will I be scraping that much on a 1" drop?

I know I would have to back into my driveway but also if I add the apr splitter with the rods will that protect the chin more?

Anyone have this set up and or live in a place like ny?

Thanks for the help .. its either this setup or steeda's front fascia
Old 8/29/11, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Up in Boston, roads as bad, if not worse than NY.

Have had the chin spoiler on since day one. Every now and then I scrape, but very infrequently. I have the Steeda lowering springs, but I am running 18" wheels (255F/275R)

No regrets! Love the look.
Old 8/29/11, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by delz05
Up in Boston, roads as bad, if not worse than NY.

Have had the chin spoiler on since day one. Every now and then I scrape, but very infrequently. I have the Steeda lowering springs, but I am running 18" wheels (255F/275R)

No regrets! Love the look.
Thanks dude .. how about parking lots curbs and driveways? For u have to drive in on an angle?... I have 18 inch wheels too .. I figure the apr splitter would take most of the hit I am just worried about my bumper ripping off
Old 8/29/11, 08:35 PM

My buddy has a 2" drop and 18" rims with an aggressive and claims to have no problems. He is from Miami though. Here's a few pics for reference:

He just recently got the new rims but you get the idea.

Last edited by Bakerjd; 8/29/11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 8/29/11, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bakerjd
My buddy has a 2" drop and 18" rims with an aggressive and claims to have no problems. He is from Miami though. Here's a few pics for reference:

Nice .. maybe its worth it the and I just need to look out for driveways and stuff... yea Miami's roads are great
Old 8/30/11, 03:49 PM

He's made me think about it multiple times. I love his stance. He went with the Eibach pro-kit if you are interested.
Old 8/31/11, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure how much lower the aggressive sits compared to the classic, but I have the classic and a 1" drop, with no issues in Michigan. However, with driveways, it all depends on how steep it is. There are some where I would scrape even before I lowered my car. I figure, as long as it's fine at home and work...I'll try to avoid the other places.

Last edited by UMich97; 8/31/11 at 05:31 PM.
Old 8/31/11, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the aggressive spoiler and lowering springs, no issues. I rolled into a surb once and thought I messed it up but the body shop prepped and painted it right with enough flex additive for the paint. No damage at all. I also drive up to Boston and NY alot and no damage. Go for it.
Old 8/31/11, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I've got the steeda sport springs, the front is about 1" lower than stock. I only have to watch it around curbs and sharp entrances into/out of parking lots. Speed bumps aren't an issue, neither are dips in the road. For those sharp parking lot entrances, just enter at an angle so one wheel hits before the other. For curbs...ALWAYS BACK IN. I've scratched up my first chin pretty bad on curbs. It was actually cheaper to buy a new prepainted one than get the old one fixed so that's why I have an extra now. If you want it, it's yours. Just pay shipping.

Here's a reference photo for how low it is on my car. Keep in mind my front wheels (245/40R18) are actually smaller than stock so it sits lower in the front than it should.

Looks low but here's from the side
Old 8/31/11, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
I've got the steeda sport springs, the front is about 1" lower than stock. I only have to watch it around curbs and sharp entrances into/out of parking lots. Speed bumps aren't an issue, neither are dips in the road. For those sharp parking lot entrances, just enter at an angle so one wheel hits before the other. For curbs...ALWAYS BACK IN. I've scratched up my first chin pretty bad on curbs. It was actually cheaper to buy a new prepainted one than get the old one fixed so that's why I have an extra now. If you want it, it's yours. Just pay shipping.

Here's a reference photo for how low it is on my car. Keep in mind my front wheels (245/40R18) are actually smaller than stock so it sits lower in the front than it should.

Looks low but here's from the side
I would hate to back in when I go to new York city sometimes because the park lots always have steep curb... im leaning more towards the steeda bumper even though I love that chin
Old 8/31/11, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also i even thought of getting the apr splitter and let that take the brunt of the scrapping ... im more worried about the whole bumper getting ripped off

Last edited by mptant913; 8/31/11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 8/31/11, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think you'll have to worry about the bumper coming off with the CDC chins. They are pretty flexible. I've bumped into a curb once or twice with mine and it was flexed backward, but then I backed up and everything was fine...not even a scratch on it amazingly. I couldn't believe it.
Old 8/31/11, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No worries on the bumper cover, I've scrape a few of those concrete prking lot barriers. One really steep cut driveway at a local shop has left a few scrapes as well. Drive slow and at an angle when in doubt....
Old 9/3/11, 09:59 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll be fine, just be conscious of the lower front and if it looks like its going to scrape, take it at an angle.
Old 9/3/11, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is how much space I have if I go into my driveway .. maybe a little less then that
Attached Images  
Old 1/22/12, 04:32 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bakerjd

Hey Baker. I know this is an old thread, and my car is a 2011, but I'm considering the same product for my car (I think). I found it on CJPony, "CDC FRONT CHIN SPOILER", $245 black. Can you provide where you got yours and how much $? Also, any tips/warnings/advise? Any info would be great, thanks!
Old 1/22/12, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't run a lower grille w the aggressive chin can you?
Old 1/22/12, 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by silversky545
You can't run a lower grille w the aggressive chin can you?
They don't make one that will fit that I know of. You would have to make one
Old 1/22/12, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand why... It just bolts underneath the bump right? Why does the grille have to come out?
Old 1/23/12, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Not quite. For the aggressive spoiler, you have to cut out part of the bumper. If you look at the stock lower grille, you'll notice the outside third on each side is filled in (i.e. it's a fake grille), it's only the center third that's open and allows air (bugs and rocks too) through. If you take off the grille, you'll see the bumper is actually filled in behind those same areas of the grille opening. The aggressive spoiler won't fit unless you cut that section out. If you do a google search on the installation instructions it should illustrate it pretty well

Quick Reply: CDC Aggressive Chin Spoiler on 1" lowered car?