05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

California Special aftermarket appearance mods

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/07, 11:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
California Special aftermarket appearance mods

I've got an 07 GT/CS, hence the nickname, but I was sadly dissappointed when I bought it to find that other than the different front and back bumpers and the CS on the fake gas cap, there was little differences to a regular GT. When I ordered it, the floor mats were identified as special to the CS but when it arrived, I found they simply had "Mustang" on them. Does anybody know of any company making a floor mat with the California Special script stitched onto them? Or perhaps some exterior badging like the older CS's? The Shelby has all kinds of interioer and exterior badging and something for the CS would be a good look. I wasn't fond of the side stripe so I had it deleted for a cleaner look but some special touches would be nice.
Old 8/8/07, 11:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could go to BaltimoreStreetMods.com and get a side stripe made for the lower part that has GT/SC in the color you want and then you can just buy the original California Special badges from http://www.tntmustangconnection.com/item1612.shtml and then sand down the pins and put some 3M tape on the back and put them on your rear quarter panel like the old stangs had, just make sure to look at the pics of the classic and make sure the script is placed correctly.

If i had a CS the first mod i would add would more than likely be the original CS badges and the mustang script i added to the dash of this one, here is what i used for the dash emblem http://www.tntmustangconnection.com/item1449.shtml, i here that on ebay they sell them without the pins but i bought it off a friend so i got a good deal
Old 8/8/07, 11:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

here is an ebay listing that i HIGHLY recommend since it is a pair for less then $20 where the other site has them for $45 for ONE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 8/8/07, 11:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

the originals also had a ductail spoiler much like the CDC so i would look into one of those, and they also had a ponyless grill with foglights so the Agent 47 grill might be a good edition
Old 8/10/07, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the script emblem on the older Mustangs on the rear trunk. That would be a possibility. I could sand off the pins and put it just under the GT500 spoiler that I added. Or, perhaps the same script up on the front grill. Matching the original locations for the script would be the best though. It would have been nice to have something on the interior similar to the Shelby.
Old 8/10/07, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

well all the shelby really has is the dash plague and door sills, if you search around on this forum you should be able to find some posts on a similar dash plaque. This is my interior,

Old 8/10/07, 12:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Why is your airbag warning sticker still on your glove box?
Old 8/10/07, 12:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
here is an ebay listing that i HIGHLY recommend since it is a pair for less then $20 where the other site has them for $45 for ONE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...spagenameZWDVW
+1

Do it retro!
Old 8/10/07, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Why is your airbag warning sticker still on your glove box?

Well if the passenger airbag fires that emblem off, at least Ford will have an 'I told you so' clause
Old 8/10/07, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i kept everything from the car and i just thought i should leave it there, i even have the bags that were over the seats and the carpets
Old 8/11/07, 12:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

The original CS also had unique Hood pins, which can still be purchased.. would take some minor fabrication to attach to the raditor support.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ProdImages/F1926-B.jpg
Old 8/11/07, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
I've got an 07 GT/CS, hence the nickname, but I was sadly dissappointed when I bought it to find that other than the different front and back bumpers and the CS on the fake gas cap, there was little differences to a regular GT. When I ordered it, the floor mats were identified as special to the CS but when it arrived, I found they simply had "Mustang" on them. Does anybody know of any company making a floor mat with the California Special script stitched onto them? Or perhaps some exterior badging like the older CS's? The Shelby has all kinds of interioer and exterior badging and something for the CS would be a good look. I wasn't fond of the side stripe so I had it deleted for a cleaner look but some special touches would be nice.
I think you forgot a few things that differentiate a CS from a standard GT. You already mentioned the GT/CS "gas cap" and front and rear bumpers (which look killer BTW), but there is also the side scoops and the GT/CS stripe to round out the body mods. Don't forget that you got those beautiful 18" polished rims standard. Those alone are a $900 option for the GT. The body kit and wheels on the GT/CS are basically the same as a Shelby GT.

You mentioned the mats, but you forgot to mention the two toned interior that you can't get on any other Mustang model (Yes, you can get red seat inserts on the GT500). That two toned interior sealed the deal for me on the GT/CS. I get tons of compliments about the interior.
Old 8/11/07, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my CS and I'm glad I spent the extra cash to get it. The front and rear bumpers alone set it apart very well. I just wish for a few extra subtle touches. I like the original hood pins but I'm waiting for some to come out made especially for the 2005+ Mustangs. I've heard that the original style pins are having some rust issues as well as the cables wearing off the paint on the front hood edge. I do like the billet Shelby hood pin setup. I removed my side stripe as I'm not a big stripe fan. I am waiting for a DCF style KR hood to be produced as I haven't seen one yet that looks as good as the DCF KR hood, then I will take that plunge. The two-tone interior is great and Mustang owners do notice the difference.
Old 8/12/07, 01:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Fang Performance sells the Twist-Lock hood pins just for the 05+ stang but be prepared to shell out $250 + ship for functional and $175 + ship for non
Old 8/12/07, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Any problems with them coming loose or popping open? I'm surprised Shebly hasn't come out with them. Perhaps they are pending. I couldn't find them on the Fang site. Their Mystery 8 hood is closer to the DCF hood but it looks like you would have to do that front end as well, which I'm not fond of.
Old 8/12/07, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

click on their shaker hood system and on the first discriction it says you can order the hood with them, but i know they sell them seprate. i say go with the emblems, believe me this mod with REALLY set your car off and people will notice. Added my mustang emblem on my dash, everyone noticed
Old 8/12/07, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Is it just me, but does modding a GT/CS seem wrong? In 20 years, someone will have to find the stripe kit and other things you might take off or put on to get it back to stock? Would you want a modified 68' CS or one that is as original as it came off the production line? I see people modding the Shelby GT as well, I just am scratching my head over it.

-danny
Old 8/12/07, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess it depends on how far you go. Throwing some emblems on that can be easily removed wouldn't devalue the car in my opinion. I have already changed my rear spoiler to a GT500 style since I hate the wing style. I think if the CS was a limited run then you would not want to change much to retain the value. Since the CS is all over the place, especially outside of Ca., then I would say it doesn't matter. The CS package is offered by the dealership and people are finding out that for a few extra bucks they can get a lot. Now with the Shelby, they are a limited run and so modding them extensively wouldn't be smart if you want to retain the collector value.
Old 8/12/07, 09:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
Is it just me, but does modding a GT/CS seem wrong? In 20 years, someone will have to find the stripe kit and other things you might take off or put on to get it back to stock? Would you want a modified 68' CS or one that is as original as it came off the production line? I see people modding the Shelby GT as well, I just am scratching my head over it.

-danny
Pretty much everything I have done to my car, except the new hood and stripes, I can change back to factory with a bit of time. Any mods I have done I have saved the original part to replace if needed.
Old 8/12/07, 10:08 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mods on the SGT really depend on who is doing it. If it's done by the SAI mod shop (e.g. SAI installs a supercharger after you took delivery of your car), then the SAI registry will document the mod (for whatever that's worth).

I was considering getting their mod shop to do some minor stuff like razor wheels and that lower grille/lights, but the wait is so horrendous, that I will either do it myself or wait until an East Coast Mod shop opens. Either way, I'll keep all my original parts so it will be easy to return to stock.

Quick Reply: California Special aftermarket appearance mods