05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

BSM stripes

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/07, 03:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BSM stripes

A friend and I installed the 10" stripes from BSM a couple months ago. I still have a criss-cross pattern showing on the stripes. Ive looked at other cars with vinyl stripes and they are perfectly smooth. Anyone else with vinyl stripes (especially BSM) have this same problem. Was it the installation, bad vinyl or just the way the BSM stripes are.
Old 9/18/07, 07:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ETNOATS
A friend and I installed the 10" stripes from BSM a couple months ago. I still have a criss-cross pattern showing on the stripes. Ive looked at other cars with vinyl stripes and they are perfectly smooth. Anyone else with vinyl stripes (especially BSM) have this same problem. Was it the installation, bad vinyl or just the way the BSM stripes are.
I have had mine for over a year now, and no problems whatsoever.
Can you post some pics, I'm curious as to the criss cross pattern you reference.
Old 9/18/07, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I've had no problems with mine, had them almost a year. I would call the vender where you bought them and see what they say. Doesn't sound normal to me.
Old 9/18/07, 09:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Is the pattern you describe from the installation process? I've installed some black kits recently from BSM and you can easily see the marks (lines) from the squegee that I used.
Old 9/18/07, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine have a small criss-cross pattern as well. They're the met. silver color. It appears to be in there from the factory. I looked closely at the stripes on a shelby GT at the dealer and they didn't have them. Also, mine are getting dark spots on them from who knows what? Acid rain or something I'm not happy with them at all, and I'm real close to ripping them off until I can afford to have them painted on. The BSM web site states "No Warranty" I'll try to post pics in a new thread in the next few days.
Old 9/19/07, 01:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Carl, yours sound just like mine, including the spots. Mine are met. slate. Ill try to post some pics of both problems.
Old 9/19/07, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

OK Oats. I'll try to do the same. I figured the cross pattern was just what you got with the 3M stripe material. Maybe someone with the non-metalic stripes can chime in with whether theirs have it or not.
Old 9/19/07, 07:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I originally bought the BSM stripe kit for my 06 when I first got it (October 2005). I bought the satin silver stripes to go on my tungsten car. The stripes were smooth, glossy, and free of the criss-cross pattern. My installer ruined the front bumper and spoiler pieces and when I called BSM to get a replacement piece, I learned 3M quit making that color of silver. The new silver was a shade different and had the criss-cross pattern in it. Rob at BSM and my local installer told me the criss-cross pattern is caused by very tiny channels on the sticky side of the stripes that allow bubbles an avenue of escape when you squegee the stripes. My installer tried to match the stripes as best he could with different pieces of silver, but the pieces he used had the criss-cross pattern so it didn't match the rest of my stripes. Everything started to peel and I eventually had the stripes painted when I did the GT500 front end/hood conversion. Anyway, probably more info than you wanted, but I thought it might answer your question. By the way, Rob at BSM is a good guy and did everything he could to help me. My issues were with my installer.
Old 9/19/07, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The criss-cross pattern is from the backing paper, and is only present on the metallic colors. It will not lay down over time, and gives the stripes a dull appearance as compared to the paint. Of course the metallic flecks add a dimension not present on the non-metallic colors. I’m happy with mine over all, but vinyl is no substitute for paint IMHO.

Tim
Old 9/19/07, 07:24 PM
V6 Member

Okay, here's the deal. OKLACOP is correct. The metallic vinyl that is available from 3M has a crisscroosed pattern to allow air an avenue to escape when applying the vinyl. It is permanent and will not disappear with time. There are other brands of vinyl available that do not have this pattern and are much closer to a painted on appearance. Why 3M switched to this type of vinyl for their metallics I can't tell you. All I know is that it does not have the adhesive bond that their previous metallics did and has a dull appearance. 3M non-metallics are of the highest quality. I use them daily and they will give you a great looking stripe job. However, I use Avery brand metallics for all my installs and have no trouble with them. The vinyl installs easily and has a high gloss and a great painted-on metallic look. I know Rob at BSM is a good guy and he's certainly not trying to pull one over on anyone, but perhaps he should switch to a different brand for his metallics. I personally will never order any custom cut metallics from his company because of the issue you have.
Old 9/20/07, 03:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

stangfx, does avery have precut sets for the 05s. Does anyone know what bob white or graphics express uses. The criss cross pattern and the spots are driving me nuts.
Old 9/20/07, 04:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I am also very interested in this topic. I have 2 year old 3M satin silver stripes. They do not have the criss-cross pattern of the newer material, but they have the spots bad. (Regular Armorall make them a little less noticeable.)

If no one makes pre-cut stripes using the Avery product, I wonder if the patterns for our stripes are available somewhere. That way we could just buy Avery vinyl on a roll and cut it ourselves.
Old 9/20/07, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

There is a way to remove the acid rain spots I believe orange clean (or something that sounded like that) Rob from BSM is a awesome guy, not sure about the criss cross pattern but if you ask him about the spots he will know the name of the cleaner.

I just read that a cleaner called BON AMI works good on stained vinyl
here is quote straight from Rob Orange Cleaner it is
Originally Posted by BaltimoreStreetMods
want the secret????
ORANGE CLEANER!!! Spray it on, let it set till half dry, wipe with paper towels.... bye bye rain spots.

just make sure you keep up the wax idf you park around trees... tree sap is vinyls' arch nemesis.
Old 9/21/07, 05:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Great info guys. Autotrimdesign.com has the avery stripes. My friend ordered the boss kit for his 07 and that's what they sent. Not sure if all the decals are avery brand though, you'd have to ask. They do carry alot of different designs. They also warranty them as long as you don't wax em. Acording to their website there is one product they'll let you use but I don't recall what it is right now. The avery stripes are alot thinner than the 3M too. Whether that's good or bad, who knows? I want the stripes cause they really set the car off, but man, $230 down the drain after less than a year on the car. Won't have the scratch to have em painted on any time soon either. Like I said, I'm leaning towards getting them off and going for the clean look for a while. Winter's coming anyway and i won't be driving it as much.
Old 9/22/07, 05:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ETNOATS
stangfx, does avery have precut sets for the 05s. Does anyone know what bob white or graphics express uses. The criss cross pattern and the spots are driving me nuts.
I can cut the kit for the '05 with Avery metallics. I have the pattern and do the work for the local ford dealer. The stripes are contoured but not cut out for the nozzles, you'll have to run the stripe under them. You could also buy the Ford Racing stripe kit, but I think that runs in the area of $300.
Old 9/24/07, 12:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Stangfx, how much would the precuts be? How much would side stripes be? You can PM me if you don't want it posted. What colors can you get? Is there a good site that has a color chart?
Old 9/24/07, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfx
I can cut the kit for the '05 with Avery metallics. I have the pattern and do the work for the local ford dealer. The stripes are contoured but not cut out for the nozzles, you'll have to run the stripe under them. You could also buy the Ford Racing stripe kit, but I think that runs in the area of $300.
Where did you get the pattern? That is all that I am interested in. And mainly just the bumpers and maybe the rear deck. I did my car before without a pattern and it was difficult (and not totally accurate). It needs to be done again and a pattern would make things much easier.
Old 9/24/07, 03:24 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

here are pics of the car and the stripe job we did (hey Brady, you can say it was me that helped you, or did you forget Im on here as well?..lol)

unfortunately I dont have a closeup of the pattern Brady is describing, but imagine the cross hatch pattern you see in duct tape, its like that and definitely from the manufacture and not from the install

Old 9/24/07, 08:04 PM
V6 Member

Nice stripes. I really like them. That has to look awesome in the sun.
Old 9/25/07, 12:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Richard is exactly right about the duct tape look. I love the way the stripes look in the sun, the metallic pops great. But once you get next to the car, you can see the criss cross pattern and the difference in shine from the paint and the vinyl. I have seen alot of other vinyl stripes that are just as glossy as paint. If anyone in SoCal wants stripes put on, Im sure Richard will help (J/K). This was our first job and it was a PITA!!!!!! But the results look awsome. Don't know how anyone could do this with out the precut pattern.

Quick Reply: BSM stripes