05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Bought a new set! Tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/11, 02:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a new set! Tire suggestions?

Bought a new set of rims and I would like to get some tire suggestions.

These are 20x9 fronts, 20x10 rears,
My car puts down about 350 horsepower,
This is my DD and I like to drift from time to time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Also, been thinking about getting them black. Any suggestions about powdercoating or painting would be great.

Old 1/2/11, 02:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

255/35 for the front and 285-295/30 for the back
The 255 will give you plenty of steering response of the street and the 285+ plenty of traction for your power level. KDW's or Toyo's for tire choices depending on your budget.

Chrome looks good on Silver. For a custom set up I would go Black Chrome or

for a bit more of a custom look the 2011 CS paint scheme seams really cool. I saw a CS rolling by the other it looked really hot.

Last edited by TTS197; 1/2/11 at 02:28 AM.
Old 1/2/11, 02:48 PM
V6 Member

Those are the exact numbers I've been thinking about. Good thing I'm on the right track. I will check out the KDW's and Toyo's prices as far as my budget goes. I'm leaning on Black Chrome or Matte Black because my car (Perf. White) has blacked out lights all around and I have messed up black wheels that looked good on my car. So that is where I will be heading. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it a lot.

Dalton
Old 1/2/11, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

i currently have kdw's. they do have a lot of grip and i really like the tread pattern. however, imo they transmit quite a bit of road noise. iirc, they are noisier than the nittos my friend used to run on his old car. i can only imagine it would be even worse running 20's.

not sure if road noise is a big deal to you or not and of course it is all subjective. personally, i will be looking for another tire when it comes time to change these out.
Old 1/3/11, 01:34 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
i currently have kdw's. they do have a lot of grip and i really like the tread pattern. however, imo they transmit quite a bit of road noise. iirc, they are noisier than the nittos my friend used to run on his old car. i can only imagine it would be even worse running 20's.

not sure if road noise is a big deal to you or not and of course it is all subjective. personally, i will be looking for another tire when it comes time to change these out.
How would you compare the Nittos with the KDW's as far as the grip and the tread? I hear good stories about the Nittos so I will check it out. I hope it fits in my budget range. I appreciate your advice as far as road noise from the tires.
Old 1/3/11, 01:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

i can't speak on the grip or tread life sorry. he always took it easy when he drove, never let me drive, and only kept the car about 2 years.

not much help i know. sorry.
Old 1/3/11, 01:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
i can't speak on the grip or tread life sorry. he always took it easy when he drove, never let me drive, and only kept the car about 2 years.

not much help i know. sorry.
It's all good buddy. Thanks for the help.
Old 1/3/11, 06:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I had KDW II's on for about 18k miles and they looked like new when I took them off. I had been running too low pressure and the tread had a hair line crack as you can see in the picture , so I decided to swapped them out. I had been running 32 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear and the tread wear was perfect , but my tire shop said that's what probably caused the crack. They had pretty good traction , but with 437 RWTQ first and second gear would brake loose easily and still does with the NITTO Invos I'm running now. The NT05 is supposed to have a little better traction than the Invos , but with a lot more road noise ...
Attached Thumbnails Bought a new set! Tire suggestions?-tirecracks-004.jpg  
Old 1/5/11, 02:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, thought your stang was Silver for some reason

In that case screw the norm ad PC them b!tches$ White instead of that played out black chrome or flat black.

IMO... PC them to white that would really set you car off..

here's some shots

Old 1/5/11, 10:35 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TTS197
Sorry, thought your stang was Silver for some reason

In that case screw the norm ad PC them b!tches$ White instead of that played out black chrome or flat black.

IMO... PC them to white that would really set you car off..

here's some shots

Hm, I will keep this in mind but I think it may be a little too much for my car since I have blacked out lights all around so I think black wheels will suit the car better. Also, I don't know if white would look as good as it would in black on these particular set of wheels. Thanks for the suggestion though.